Chely Wright: Wish Me Away Reviews

• Aug 16, 2014

YES & HOORAY FOR CHELY!!!!

YES & HOORAY FOR CHELY!!!!

• Aug 04, 2013

Damn this was so good. So knew what she was feeling.

Damn this was so good. So knew what she was feeling.

• Jun 27, 2013

this is really good.

this is really good.

• Ina S Super Reviewer
    May 27, 2013

Lovely, inspiring, tear-jerking documentary about Wright's well-planned coming out, showing her extreme fear and vulnerability and courage. A great film about why coming out is so important and also so hard for some people, especially those from religious backgrounds. Wonderful, graceful, sincere.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    May 12, 2013

Chely Wright is the first American country music star to come out as gay. I'm not a fan of country music, and I had never heard of Chely Wright until I saw this film. What emerges from the film is a portrait of Wright that is inspiring and positive. She seems like a genuine person and a good role model of GLBT youngsters. However, when she begins working with image coaches and turning her coming out into a media event, I found myself less sympathetic to her struggles. I understand her counter-argument -- that coordinating a media spectacle allows her to do the most good for others in her situation -- but I nevertheless wasn't pleased that what I was seeing was such a carefully designed product. Overall, I found the film well-made, and by the end I liked Wright, but that's about all the film asked of me.

• Feb 26, 2013

My only real issue, is that she isn't the first country singer to come out.. K.D Lang still counts. However, this isn't the main issue with the film, so doesn't matter.. I knew nothing about her before watching, but still found her story interesting and heartfelt.

• Dec 30, 2012

Not knowing anything about Chely Wright this was a inspiring story to watch. Was glad I found it.

• Dec 22, 2012

great documentary, it definitely shows the bullshit one has to endure just to be themselves. being a lesbian/gay person isn't easy being a gay/lesbian celebrity country star is even harder. falling in love along with that is the most difficult fear overtakes love making it impossible to be who you are and free. great movie I highly recommend.

• Dec 17, 2012

Without any prior interest, I went to a pre-screening of this doc. And was so moved by it. It's a heartbreaking story of a truly good girl, coming to terms with the way she was born. She's at the very top of her game, and wants to kill herself. Never realized how White & Christian country music in Nashville has to be, it sustain itself.

• Nov 22, 2012