Cherish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cherish Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
This film is bad. I mean, make you angry bad. The plot is obsurd, and the only thing more disconnected from the plot are the characters. The protagonist doesn't seem to understand the gravity of her situation and may be just as crazy as her stalker villain boyfriend.
½ November 5, 2013
It wasn't bad at all.
August 11, 2013
This is a simplistic and strange story. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
May 23, 2013
odd and quirky movie that is actually pretty interesting. robin tunney gives a good performnace and so does tim blake nelson ( who to me is normally boring) . worth watching if you are looking for something different and outside the mainstream. this is a mash up of different genres but somehow it works
½ January 22, 2013
Disgustingly dull. Preposterous. Oh indie films... you'll be the death of me. The film is about a girl attacked by a stalker and ends up manslaughtering a cop. She suffers the rest of the movie under house arrest. Underrated Tim Blake Nelson falls for her for some unknown reason. And then it ends like Home Alone meets Saw. Not very thrilling at all.
December 22, 2012
A little slow in parts, but overall not bad.
November 22, 2012
Painfully annoying. Ugh.
½ November 19, 2012
Tunney breathes life into her character, but the story is still lacking.
November 13, 2012
Mehhh...simply average.
½ October 29, 2012
An odd, almost made for TV type of movie.
½ September 1, 2012
The soundtrack made this movie memorable.
April 10, 2012
an amazingly fun film about love, death, and house arrest. robin tunney and tim blake nelson deliver a wonderful performance as the two main characters as well as a small performance by indie rock sensation liz phair. this film also packs an awesome soundtrack that fits the film to a tee.
November 14, 2011
Tim Blake-Nelson in an unusual role (for him) makes it all worthwhile. Of course, Robin Tunney is pretty and appealing.
½ September 24, 2011
I adore this film. The more I've pondered on it and rewatched scenes, the more it's becoming one of my treasured favourites. I watched it as I'm working my way through all of Robin Tunney's films, and this certainly ranks among her best.

The poster is misleading I feel, as it makes you think it's a full on chick flick, when it really isn't - in fact it's far more of a thriller, with hues of romance and a constant undertone of being an 80s homage (though the poster does make sense, as it's just another of the stalker's fantasy scenarios about Zoe).

It looks like an 80s or 90s film, and doesn't look like it was shot post-2000 at all - which is an intentional addition to the homage angle I assume. The soundtrack here is great, as Taylor mines some of the best tracks from the decade (in pop anyway) and assigns them appropriately to some really great scenes.

Once I worked out what the film was really about (her stuck under house arrest) and got an idea of where it was heading (ultimately her confronting her stalker and gaining freedom) I started to really enjoy it.

The feel is all round fun, the side characters really well realised, and Tunney is really pretty in this (when her hair's straight) and just all round excellent.

The stalker angle was brilliant and really well done. The way they kept his face always just hidden enough made him scary, all of his dancing alone and getting upset about having lost her was superb, and their final confrontation was great. It's cool that he's the radio DJ too, given the music-focus of the film. I bloody love all of his scenes, but escpecially the revelation one where Tunney realises it's him while he's looking up outside (the first time we see his face properly), set to Tainted Love.

The scene where she has to run back to make it in time and shoves foot through the window and cuts herself is great too.

The sub plot love angle with Blake Nelson was touching. Him taking yoga lessons to try to get closer to her was sweet. The way they tie it off with Nelson being guilty of obsessing/fantasising over her in the same way as the stalker is clever, as it makes him start to lean towards being as culpable and guilty as the stalker.

Just a really great Tunney film that I highly recommend. Like its title, the film itself should be cherished more and actually made available to buy (but I managed hunted down and buy a copy).
½ September 23, 2011
Pleasant enough, in a very typical turn-of-this-century self-conscious Quirks-Here-Are-Quirks! auteur-wannabe kind of of way, so how about we just enjoy the soundtrack.
August 11, 2011
an original and fun little movie. it's not perfect-the romance with the ankle bracet technician is less than believable-but the quirkiness and cleverness of the script, as well as Robin tunney's prformance make it work.
June 19, 2011
When her Stalkertunity Goes Very Wrong, & they put her under House Arrest, she becomes the Bane of this Geeky Techs Existance & then they Fall in Lust.You can't quite prepare yourself for this one.I didn't know Robin Tunney had this in her.
½ March 31, 2011
This is a fun little mixed bag of a movie. It's mostly a comedy, but takes stabs at serious drama here and there, and has a little romance, and tries to be a thriller near the end. While it isn't a particularly stunning example of any of these genres it tries on, it's always entertaining in a relaxed, low-key sort of way.
The story is fairly simple: a mousy but pretty young woman (a very likable Robin Tunney) with a passion for excellent 80s music (seriously, this movie's soundtrack is to 80s music as Saturday Night Fever's soundtrack is to 70s music) is framed for vehicular homicide by her stalker and placed under house arrest. The movie pretty much goes from there. The movie is at its best with the light comedy of her attempts to deal with her newfound confinement, and her relationship with the deputy in charge of her electronic bracelet (a goofy and earnest Tim Blake Nelson). It eventually moves on to other things, and those are fine enough, but this is one movie where the best part is definitely the middle.

The movie was released in 2002, but for whatever reason feels very, I dunno, 1996 to me. The cinematography and direction are mostly very typical of your average 90s movie, though the director Finn Taylor does pull off some shots that are eye-catching in a music-video kind of way. Ultimately, this movie doesn't blow your socks off, but it's a pleasant diversion.
February 2, 2011
Only saw a couple of scenes and one of them involves the interaction Tunney had with the police officer from her window. I really liked the dialogue!
½ October 28, 2010
Cherish is a movie about a woman who is placed under electronic house arrest for a crime she didn't commit. Zoe is a weird, but funny and lively woman who is also an outsider because she has no friends. Music is her escape and her passion.
I watched this movie when I was undergoing a very difficult phase of my life, but I never got to finish it. The movie comforted me at that time, because I could sort of relate to the main character.
Now, after finishing the movie, I still like it. The story is different than I expected it to be. I didn't like the end a lot though.
Robin Tunney did a good performance and Tim Blake too.