Cherish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cherish Reviews

½ August 27, 2010
This movie is completely random ridiculous.
August 19, 2010
I'd forgotten how much I love this little movie...Tim Blake Nelson is amazing.
½ July 14, 2010
Disgustingly dull. Preposterous. Oh indie films... you'll be the death of me. The film is about a girl attacked by a stalker and ends up manslaughtering a cop. She suffers the rest of the movie under house arrest. Underrated Tim Blake Nelson falls for her for some unknown reason. And then it ends like Home Alone meets Saw. Not very thrilling at all.
April 13, 2010
Despite the cover this is not "Poison Ivy 5: Code Pink" it's one of those "quirky" "indie" movies. You can tell it's independent minded because there are a lot of weird camera angles and mismatched colors and good chunks of movie where nothing happens.

During a bland dialog shot between two characters, the camera circles around them about thirty times, gradually picking up speed until finally the viewer is thrown into an end table from the centrifugal force. As always when watching these jittery Sundance darlings, safety is job one, wear a helmet. The next time they talk the camera stays put, thankfully, but this time one of the characters circles the other on roller skates about thirty times. That's indie art, baby! They're circling each other seductively, see? It's a metaphor. I picked that up all by myself. I'm like a perceptive hipster, eh?

Jason Priestley shows up - he plays this good looking weird guy - but then he just disappears, his role pointless. Liz Phair, same thing. I didn't see Parker Posey, but this was 2002, surely she was in the mix somewhere. This is a halfhearted thriller about a music obsessive stalking an ugly duckling who - SPOILER ALERT - blossoms into a beautiful young swan by simply taking out her retainer and combing her hair. Who would have guessed that the smokin' hot Robin Tunney was hiding underneath that rats nest? No fair peeking at the cover art of Ms. Tunney licking a big pink lollipop, her butt staring you down. That butt wants you to rent this movie and what that butt wants, it gets. But this is a dumb formula movie that's trying to trick the Sundance suckers into thinking it's smart and edgy and it doesn't really have anything to do with butts or lollipops. I was tricked too.
February 13, 2010
i absolutly love this movie...it never gets old and the music is great!
February 13, 2010
A pretty, pretty good flick with a killer soundtrack. Robin Tunney is one of the most underrated actresses ever and coupled with the low-key Tim Blake Nelson, she really shines here.
½ February 12, 2010
I loved this film, great music through out and Robin Tunney is brilliant! The only thing that put me off was the ending that I won't give away but it could have been better. I still loved it none the less.
½ January 26, 2010
An odd, almost made for TV type of movie.
½ December 30, 2009
Robin Tunney's character has charm that works really well in this movie.
Great Movie to watch.
DrStrangeblog
December 19, 2009
A fresh take on the thriller genre, which really isn't a thriller most of the time, in fact the thriller elements get in the way! Robin Tunney is an (overly) talkative, socially awkward, music loving computer animator who during a sodden night out crashes and kills a cop after a mysterious stranger carjacks her and then flees the scene. Whew! Nobody believes her story, so while awaiting trial she is placed under house arrest in a new, downtrodden neighborhood (she had to sell her condo to pay her lawyer) and fitted with an ankle transmitter that only allows her 57 feet distance from an alarm beacon.

This is where the bulk of the film - and entertainment - lies, in her apartment awaiting trial. Her only acquaintances are her invalid downstairs neighbor and the ankle bracelet security officer who makes routine visits. The relationships and twists that develop are surprising yet believable. Tunney alone bears the weight of the movie as she features in nearly every scene, and her quirkily appealing performance won my affection. Tim Blake Nelson also hits the bulls-eye, but Liz Phair....well, it's fun to see her appear in a movie once. Nice in-joke of her whitechocolatespaceegg album displayed at the checkout counter of a record store.

The thriller elements are competent but fairly routine, and with a resolution that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Normally these deficiencies would kill a movie, but the characters and occurrences are so fun to watch that the thriller aspect became secondary. Filled with '80s songs that fit perfectly with the mood of each scene. A modest, enjoyably offbeat sleeper.
December 6, 2009
Compelling, u r not sure what to think of things, but slowly come to really enjoy this diamond of a film!
October 5, 2009
Ne vous fiez pas trop à la couverture...
June 14, 2009
A friend lent me this movie and I didn't really know what to expect. The initial appeal was the cool 80's soundtrack, but as the story unfolded the acting and the plot stood on it's own. In the end I really liked it. The "Saw" moment at the end was a little bit too much.
June 14, 2009
Love is whacky and sometimes twisted and uncomfortable.
June 14, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that jason priestley, brad hunt, lindsay crouse, kelvin han yee, liz phair, tim blake nelson, robin tunney play good roles/parts thorughout this movie...i think that the director of this thriller/romance/drama/action/adventure/mystery movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie its a really powerful movie 2 watch....its got a good cast throughout n its a great movie 2 watch
½ May 4, 2009
One of the best movie soundtracks ever.
½ April 4, 2009
I really enjoyed this!!! I was totally different what I had expected!
March 26, 2009
I thought this was great. It was off-beat and interesting and Robin Tunney was fantastic.
December 23, 2008
An interesting film with action and thrills. The obsession behind the films soundtrack is pure brilliance, and I doubt any other soundtrack will match it.
December 16, 2008
I have yet to figure out why I enjoy this movie so much.