Chicken Tikka Masala - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chicken Tikka Masala Reviews

March 14, 2012
This film is actually really funny! THe girl and her mother give the best comedy, as does the grandma. Bloody hilarious! I think a lot of people would have a giggle at this!
August 1, 2011
A really bad TV movie, but a good idea
May 15, 2011
The movie takes a, seen before, rollercoaster ride story for Jimi but it's a fun ride anyway. The comedy is great and I found myself laughing at the comedy no matter how small.

Chris Bisson (Jimi) gives great face and is a convincing actor but often gets lost in all the strong acting surrounding his character.

Jinder Mahal (Simran), is Jimi's soon to be wife (not by his choice) and she gets lost in this movie. When she does deliver lines, most notably in the photo shop, she does shine a little bit and then gets lost again. She all but vanishes near the end of the movie.

This is not to say it's a fault but just shows the strengths of this movie. All the supporting actors are great and the interactions between everyone flows freely. The jokes are funny even if there is no dialogue.

Peter Ash (Jack) is Jimi's love interest. He starts off a bit rocky with his first emotional scene but is forgiven by his beautiful face. How can you stay angry when you see a face like that? Jack starts to shine though when he goes through the stages of anger & frustration and soon starts to roll-with-it and have a little fun at his lover's expense.

I have serious issues with child actors. They're usually and frustratingly bad. Katy Clayton (Hanah) is one of the least annoying child actors I've ever seen. Her lines are spot on, funny, and convincing. She's a pleasure to watch in this one.

Sally Bankes (Vanessa) who plays Hanah's mother... what can I say... she shines and just rips the scene away from everyone no matter how many characters are on the screen at once.

The ending, though slightly romantic is far too unbelievable. I can't imagine an entire family being so open and accepting of their child suddenly being outed at such an emotional and climatic time. Simply, too simplistic of an ending.

The movie is a fun watch and the rollercoaster ride Jimi is on isn't entirely predictable. Definitely a feel good movie and worth the watch.
April 4, 2010
entertaining and insightful.. helps us see what parents see...

and Peter Ash.. i see Peter Ash !
December 27, 2008
Funny Funny Funny
the movie is in English (no subtitles), worth watching
October 8, 2008
Satu lagi film komedi-gay yang sangat menghibur dan menyentuh.

Jimi adalah seorang anak yang berbakti pada orang tuanya, karena itu ia tidak kuasa untuk menolak permintaan orang tuanya untuk menikah dengan Shimran-calon mempelainya yang adalah putri salah seorang kerabatnya.Tapi sejatinya,Jimi adalah seorang gay,dan telah menjalin hubungan dengan seorang lelaki bernama jack.. Lalu bagaimana dengan rencana pernikahan mereka? Siapakah yang akan dipilih oleh Jimi? Shimran atau Jack?

Bagaimana juga dengan sikap kedua orang tua Jimi mengetahui anak lelaki satu-satunya ternyata gay?...
September 12, 2008
Really dull, mediocre bag of stereotypes, this film limps along with very little pace or excitement. The acting is wooden, the dialogue stilted and the racial stereotypes are almost offensive. Very 'made for TV' and not something I'd recommend.
August 26, 2008
Parts of it were funny but over all nothing new abt the story.
½ August 18, 2008
meh, Fnac put this one in the wrong place and really overpriced it...meant to be bollywood, wasn't, no songs! But that's 'cos I was misinformed. Not too bad otherwise, for what it was...
July 20, 2008
Amusing comedy. No huge laughs here but still very entertaining!
July 13, 2008
Indian Son Jimi lies his parents when they set up an arranged marriage, he's gay you see, and he tells them that he is in love with his partners aunty and that her daughter is his. Anyhow madness ensues and the chuckles are there..
June 8, 2008
This could have been a very good and very funny movie. Fell short both in writing, directing and acting. The wedding scene was by far the best part of the movie. The only character that seemed believable and not forced was that of Jack (Peter Ash).
½ April 10, 2008
It's funny and I like Chris Bisson. It isn't just Wedding Banquet indian style but it's a pity the script is rather uneven.
½ March 4, 2008
A friggin' funny comedy, a movie "punching your lights out' :)))

AND ... you get to see a real Hindu dance :)

I recommend it.
February 19, 2008
good idea for a film,but the script was poor and the acting wasnt much better,BUT,for some strange reason i actually quite enjoyed this film,and i was sober.liked the grandmother.
February 19, 2008
good idea,but a poor script.the acting wasnt brill,but for some strange reason i quite enjoyed it
½ November 9, 2007
I think this was a good film, shows the reality and humour at once. Very much like 'East is East'.
½ October 22, 2007
Better than average but having a hard time saying it was great just because the story just seemed to fall flat at the end. The grandmother was very funny, especially closer to the end of the movie but I think I just found myself frustrated with the fact that Jimi couldn't seem to step up and actually resolve the whole situation.
August 26, 2007