Chief Zabu Reviews

• Jun 22, 2017

Chief Zabu is a 80s comedy that is fresh, but relevant to today's society! Two realtors attempt to capitalize on a opportunity of a Polynesian island, Tiburaku, requesting admission into the United Nations. The film follows the story of their absurd attempt to achieve the American Dream for money and power. Ben and Sammy friendship and onscreen chemistry brings you light hearted, outlandish humor and quick banter reminding you of similar friendships. This buddy satire is a quirky, entertaining story and will keep you laughing throughout the film. I highly recommend this film filled with 80s nostalgia, eccentric characters, and a surprising ending.

• Jun 21, 2017

Rare are the films that find themselves equally enjoyable years later as the day they came out, and nearly non-existent is the movie that remains culturally relevant so far down the road. Either the stars have aligned or this happening was some delicately planned conspiracy, because Chief Zabu, a movie lost to history for thirty years has finally been discovered, and remains culturally and politically paramount considering the recent temperature of the political climate. We follow Sammy Brooks and Ben Sydney, two sleazy New York realtors who seek quick wealth through any means necessary. When they happen upon an untapped island nation on the brink of acceptance into the United Nations called Tiburaku, they pounce upon it with dollar signs twinkling in their eyes. The absurdity of the situation shines through especially strongly in a scene where the men banter about their margins, the margins on those margins and margins on those margins, coming to a ridiculously confusing conclusion that makes sense to no one existing in a rational world. The movie proves to be a hilarious romp that only heightens the stakes that we face in America today, but makes one thing clear: when the titular Chief Zabu of Tiburaku presents a one-way ticket to the American Dream, the American Dream will have its way with Chief Zabu. A hilarious ride from start to finish, Chief Zabu takes the viewer to morally uncomfortable places made soft through the presence of satire. I heartily recommend it for anyone looking for a funny ride or some great political satire.

• Jun 21, 2017

Chief Zabu is an outrageous, over-the-top, hysterical film that features two realtors who are tired of their jobs and dream of being rich. They devise a get-rich-quick scheme that involves coercing an uninformed, frivolous investor into buying the rights to a small island in French Polynesia, called "Tiburaku". The realtors exaggerate the potential prosperity of the island with such skill, they almost begin to believe it, themselves. Set and filmed in the 80s, the film had a $100,000 budget but delivers quality, laughter-inducing content worth much more. It was recently found under the staircase of the director, 30 years after its creation. It's a timeless film that features comedian, Zack Norman, at his best: spewing quick, witty monologues that will leave viewers' heads spinning to catch up, and laughing hysterically once they do. You may think you know how it will end, but you don't. This is a film like no other that will leave you questioning all the investments you've ever made. Hold onto your wallets and get ready to laugh! This is a must-see.

• Jun 21, 2017

Anybody looking for a good laugh will definitely find it in Chief Zabu! Allen Garfield and Zack Norman play business partners Ben Sydney and Sammy Brooks on a mission to gain political influence on the fictitious island of Tiburaku. Simultaneously, the island's leader Chief Zabu struggles to gain recognition within the United Nations. Their stories intertwine as they all make their way through this outlandish and over-the-top satire. The film is absurd in the best way possible with its quick, dry humor and fast-paced editing style. It may have been filmed in the 80s, but both the plot and its humor are still incredibly applicable and relevant today. I had such a fun time watching this film and I loved being immersed in its nostalgia. Whenever I'm in the mood for something lighthearted and bizarre I will definitely reach for Chief Zabu and I recommend that anyone else does the same.

• Jun 20, 2017

Chief Zabu is the funniest satire I have seen in a while! The movie features two real estate agents that have a big plan on how to get rich quick through buying part of an Island! The men don't achieve their original goal, but are still able to end up where they want to be. This movie is a twisted version of the American dream and it is completely hysterical. I loved this movie because I love most 80s movies and this was just the total comedy package. The quirky film actually reminded me a lot of Seinfeld and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. My other favorite aspect of the movies was the friendship between the two real estate agents, Ben and Sammy, played by Allen Garfield and Zack Norman. They have a quick witty relationship and it is completely hilarious. I think that the actors work so well together and actually have the bond played in the movie. I recommend this movie to people who love dry humor, satires, and the 80s.

• Jun 16, 2017

Chief Zabu is a political and business satire about businessmen hoping to achieve their own American Dream. Whether that be to become a great comedian, a rich and influential household name, or simply to be rich you see the characters twist truths and exaggerate the potential of a business deal to achieve these ends. This quirky and eccentric film is lighthearted, filled with quick banter that keeps you smiling. You'll enjoy the different characters and the array of attributes they bring to the film. Besides the characters, this film brings a whimsical feel through the brightness of the film and array of different colors used throughout. I recommend this film to anyone looking for a refreshingly quirky comedy that takes you back in time.

• Jun 14, 2017

Outlandish and hilarious, Chief Zabu is a recently unearthed 80's satire about two New York real estate agents' journeys as they try to invest in Tiburaku, an up and coming Polynesian Island. As a fan of 80's comedies, I was so excited to watch this movie. it did not disappoint and I would not only recommend it, but I'd also compare it to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Allen Garfield (The Conversation) and Zack Norman (Romancing the Stone) were comedic geniuses as they carried out their roles as bizarre and fumbling businessmen. I recommend this film to anyone who is interested in comedies and 80's movies!

• Mar 08, 2017

We were fortunate that our local film festival (Gasparilla, in Ybor City, FL) featured a screening of Chief Zabu this weekend, as a good dose of grownup wit (and more than a few belly-laughs) were just what we needed after a stressful beginning to 2017. The film is not just *set* in the 1980s--it was actually *filmed* then, too, on a shoestring at that. And the tale of how the director and producer almost forgot about the indie project (a relatively new genre back then) and set about scrambling to reassemble it, then give up, then locate an unblemished original and release it some 30 years later, is a story in itself. But anyway...on to the movie. It's about the hilarious scheme cooked up by a real estate investor named Ben Sydney (played perfectly by Allen Garfield) who is both a wheeler-dealer and social climber along the lines of you-know-who. Ben, along with his partner and best friend Sammy Brooks (brilliantly played by Zack Norman), is trying to pull off an investment scheme that involves getting UN membership for the Polynesian island nation of Tiburaku (yes, it's fictional), meanwhile he and his friends will benefit from the fishing and building rights; make a massive fortune for themselves; and even gain some political power and entré in the process. Of course, a few small things go awry, to hilarious effect. The satire could not be more on-point if the script had been written yesterday (the long, single-shot scene in the convertible, in particular, is pitch-perfect). As the French might say (while carrying out tests on Tiburaku), plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose (the more things change, the more it's the same thing).

• Dec 11, 2016

Hilarious conversations :D

Hilarious conversations :D

• Dec 04, 2016

It's hilarious! I'm so glad they were finally able to release it!

It's hilarious! I'm so glad they were finally able to release it!