La Chienne (The Bitch) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Chienne (The Bitch) Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
don't see what all the fuss was about
May 29, 2014
As the film states in the beginning, it has no moral pretensions. A good psychological drama.
½ March 21, 2014
The Punch and Judy beginning sets the stage for this subversive comedy whose name literally translates as "The Bitch."
May 16, 2013
The incredible ground breaking for its time Psychological Drama/Noir made in 1931.

Jean Renoir created a masterful film about a prostitute & her pimp seducing & manipulating a frustrated unhappily married man.

Ultimately quite a sad film really full of not the nicest people, but a very brave film for its time & wasn't released in the US till the mid 1970's...a real early sound French gem.
½ April 27, 2013
Early Renoir -- his second sound film -- later remade as Scarlet Street by Fritz Lang. Michel Simon plays the sucker who dupes himself into believing that a young floozie really does love him and isn't taking him for a ride (based on a misperception that he has money). When you think that Simon also played Boudu and the incredible salty sailor in L'Atalante, his range seems pretty amazing -- he is the epitome of mild-mannered here. Renoir's film takes a few more plot turns than Lang's (as I recall), especially concerning the wife and her dead first husband (demonstrating Renoir's sense of humor over that of Lang, who may have had none). A deeper reading may be possible (focused on class differences) but this was enjoyable even on the surface and a harbinger of greater films to come from Renoir.
July 11, 2012
this is renoir's slightly more humanist take on the same material fritz lang used for 'scarlet street'. he wasn't hampered by the production code so the mistress here is an actual streetwalker in love with her pimp who treats her miserably. michel simon is top notch in the role later played by edward g robinson and i can't pick my favorite between these two. an interesting sidenote: michel simon falls for janie marèse, as he did in real life, while marèse fell for georges flamant, a professional criminal and amateur actor, who plays the pimp. renoir and the producers had encouraged their relationship for the sake of their performances. after the film's completion, flamant took marèse for a drive, crashing the car and killing her. simon fainted at the funeral and blamed renoir for her death, threatening to shoot him. "kill me if you like", responded renoir, "but I have made the film"
April 14, 2012
The title means "The Bitch". A timid to a fault bank cashier with a shrill, tyrannical wife falls in love with a prostitute who in turn is conning him for her pimp, whom SHE is in love with. French actor Michel Simon is terrific as the cashier. Even though the film essentially focuses on three rather unlikeable characters, it still manages to keep them human and interesting and the story quite compelling: Sad, tragic, frustrating and even a darkly humorous. It's not my favorite Renoir but it's a solid film.
October 1, 2011
Renoir... que polêmico! (proibido de passar nos EUA por quase 50 anos!) :-O
October 13, 2010
A funny sort of film that opens quite presciently with puppets fighting over what the film is about. The last puppet gets it right: the film is neither a comedy nor a drama, and it doesn't have a particular moral backing either, except to say that naivete can have devastating consequences. What makes the film most enjoyable is the ridiculous circumstances that people put themselves in for money and love, and how fruitless it all becomes.
½ June 30, 2010
Throughout the month of June, I've watched 99 movies and "The Bitch" ain't one. It is #100 that I have seen this month, yeah I purposefully sought it out so I could make a tired Jay-Z reference. The movie itself is a dark look into the lives of some stupid French people, pretty edgy subject matter for 1931, even kinda edgy for France.
June 13, 2009
another classic jean renoir film of shifting morality and deceptively slow pacing. the film opens on a puppet show stage, narrated by a puppet who informs us that the story we're about to see has no heroes or villains, merely a man, a woman, and the 'other man.' all three characters are both heroic and despicable in their own right, depending on your perspective of the story - which revolves around the idea of stealing credit for another man's 'work,' be it crime or art. the title means 'the bitch,' and janie marèse seems to have fantastic fun in bringing the title character to life. as with all the renoir films i've seen, ('the rules of the game,' 'the crime of monsieur lange,' and 'la grande illusion,' their influence on woody allen is obvious.
September 18, 2008
It feels much more modern than it actually is. This is the first Renoir film I've seen and now I'm eager to see more.
August 3, 2008
I haven't seen Scarlet Street, but this was just dandy.
½ July 14, 2008
Sometimes hilarious, sometimes brutal, and always extremely cynical dram-edy from Renoir. The hero is a whipped, broken-down shell of a man, mocked by his colleagues, unappreciated and unloved by his shrew of a wife, and manipulated by his whore mistress. It has a lot to say about people taking advantage of each other, and about the fate of artists. The puppet show intro is quite unique and funny. A very interesting, entertaining and worthwhile movie.
June 16, 2008
Trust Renoir to tackle the story of a rather tawdry affair with such sensitivity: a middle-aged loner falls obsessively in love with an aging prostitute, herself in love with her young pimp. This exquisitely made film moves us in a way we are least prepared for; it clearly belongs to more innocent times.
½ April 2, 2008
Michel Simon, the Ernest Borgnine of France.
March 23, 2008
j'attends avec impatience la suite
November 22, 2007
a jean renoir socialistic satire upon the petite bourgeoise..the storyline goes with an elder timid accountant who leads a pathetic life overruled by his critically dispiteful wife, he gets infatuated with a streetwalker one day then fends her as his kept mistress. unfortunately this whore is a miserable slave to her sadistic flanerie pimp, and these two discover the artistic painting talent of this dull acountant, thereafter merchandising his art as their fodder of luxurious living under her name. randomly the accountant murders the prostitue in a rage of passion, but the pimp gets executed for this crime instead. eventually the accountant becomes a shady vagabond on street.

rarely known to most, edward g. robinson's "scarlet street" is fritz lang's adaption from renoir's french original "the bitch"....lang's approach centers more on the psychological interactive drama between these three. lang softens it by transforming the prostitute as a showgirl, the pimp as just an amateur womanizer, the sucker as an ingenuine who longs to live vigorously...lang emphasizes more on the mental trauma of guilt from the main character, thus it's interpretated as the personal tragedy of a romantic steer.

as for renoir's "the bitch", it's social criticism: the pimp stands for the nouveau riche who lies upon the resources of the ghetto(the prostitute) to make his rising fortune by exploiting the bourgeois(the accountant), even including his soothing inspiration of art...the pimp drives his cadillac to extort money from the whore, parking his flashy roadster in the crowd of common people that hinders their daily function, coincidentally he arrives in the bad timing to be the scapegoat of the crime he hasn't's renoir's severe condemnation on the amoral nouveau riche. after the bourgeois' fund has been drained up, he wanders in the street as ragged bum, cadging small cashes from the merchandizer who purchases the last portrait of himself(his own work) in the antic shop.
½ September 1, 2007
Early classic Renior. Archetypal storytelling with timeless characters.