Children Of Invention Reviews

• Sep 15, 2012

[2012.09.16 @Sundance Channel]

[2012.09.16 @Sundance Channel]

• Jul 15, 2012

The film was a bit too slight although inspiring! It wasn't horrible but I think the critics overrated it! The film is refreshingly free of Hollywood junk...but they could've stretched the concept even farther! The filmmakers could've made this movie a lot better because it seemed a bit elementary and cheap! However, that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it!

• Mar 21, 2012

Single mother from Hong Kong Elaine Cheng (Cindy Cheung) struggles to provide for her two children in Boston on an expired visa. But when she loses her house she turns to friends who set her up in an occupied apartment while the owners are away. Now struggling between jobs, Elaine gets suckered into an illegal pyramid scheme and faces deportation. While she sweats it out in the police station, her two children Raymond (Michael Chen) & Tina (Crystal Chiu) are forced to look after themselves when their mother doesn't come home. Though the pace of the movie did move a bit slow, the performances were solid...especially from the two child actors.The story of the family trying to stay together under such harsh circumstances was subtle but impactful... but it could have been a lot better. The basic setup of the theme about this family's many problem from the beginning dragged on too long and took away from the second half of the film where the kids are left alone, which is time that could have been used to deliver a more dramatic scenario. And the conclusion was just a big disappointment for me with it's abrupt ending that felt like it suddenly cut off in the middle of a scene. This film wasn't bad, but the slow plot, poor decisions made by the mother, and the abrupt ending prevented this film from reaching it's potential of being a much more powerful indie drama.

• Nov 13, 2011

Really interesting story told in this indie that seems to have a very low budget which you can tell rather easily, but it makes up for that with a great story and excellent casting. The film has echoes of "The Bicycle Thief" as two kids are forced to survive on their own after their single Mom runs into job trouble. The kids are outstanding and I highly recommend seeking this one out!

• Ida K Super Reviewer
    Sep 09, 2011

I felt sorry for the poor mother who fell for the pyramid scheme.

I felt sorry for the poor mother who fell for the pyramid scheme.

• Sep 09, 2011

There was no closure to this movie

There was no closure to this movie

• Aug 22, 2011

I thought the movie was really well-fine. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially like the ending.

• Aug 14, 2011

Single mom desperately tries to make her two children's lives less than miserable by taking odd jobs and getting close to pyramid schemes. At times you can see the emotion of the children, but overall the scenes seem structured and edited to allow exactly one interaction and not too much sustained acting on the part of the children (mainly because they're not overly qualified).

• Jul 20, 2011

• May 29, 2011

This is a gem of an independent film.

This is a gem of an independent film.