Children of the Corn 4: The Gathering - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of the Corn 4: The Gathering Reviews

September 26, 2016
Although not as looney tunes as number three was, this installment of the COTC does have some charms, Albeit a little more violent and nasty. Still beats the original movie though
March 25, 2016
The lighting wasn't horrible... I think they did it on purpose.
November 12, 2015
After watching C.O.T.C. 3, which was terrible, I found myself liking this one. It's not a bad little horror movie, that fans of old school horror may enjoy. The FX are all practical and are well done. The only thing this movie really has in common with C.O.T.C. though is it's name. It takes a departure from the other C.O.T. C.'s and goes for it's own story, that has nothing to do with "he who walks behind the rows". There's plenty of good, gory kills, and with people with bad attention spans you won't be left long with nothing on to keep your interest. The movie isn't trying to break new ground, or be something that it's not. It's just trying to be a horror movie about children killing adults to resurrect a dead preacher boy, that's it, and it succeeds in doing what it set out to do.
May 11, 2015
This installment in the otherwise decent horror series, was a major dud. The inclusion of a young Naomi Watts gave me hope but the story around her was lame and everything about this one was underwhelming. The kids got sick, started turning on their parents and other adults and after a struggle to find out the source of this it all culminated in a very weak "final battle" that I still can't believe was the true ending. Every long horror series always has a few failures and this was one for sure.
½ October 9, 2014
You'd think this was crap, and you'd be right. Aside from a very young Naomi Watts - the reason I watched it - there is nothing good here. The story gets far away from the King short story, and as a result isn't very good. The effects are fairly bad too. For hardcore Watts fans only.
September 17, 2014
Taking the series in a new direction, Children of the Corn: The Gathering attempts to tell a different kind of horror story. Breaking away from the corn cult theme, this chapter follows the spirit of a child preacher who possesses the children of the town of Grand Island, Nebraska, in order to exact revenge for his death and find a new host body. Naomi Watts and William Windom lead the cast and give fairly decent performances, but there's not much talent among the child actors. The script is also rather weak and does a poor job of storytelling. There are a lot of problems with Children of the Corn: The Gathering, but it's a breath of fresh air in this series and delivers some entertaining horror scenes.
September 11, 2014
Very much a turd in the franchise,it's pretty boring. The only saving grace is a couple of pretty decent kills. The cast are all pretty terrible including Naomi watts you would never guess she would become a massive star after this performance I'm guessing acting classes were in her future
½ September 10, 2014
Poor. The franchise that went on far too long. A couple of easy jump scares asides, it isn't scary or creepy and the plot makes zero sense. Bah!
½ August 14, 2014
Even Naomi Watts can't make us believe the abysmal lines that are coming out of her mouth. You know when you look upon a famous Oscar-nominated actress' back catalogue and think "You could tell even back then she was talented"? I think Naomi ought to stuff this one away and just pretend she was born with it.
½ June 2, 2014
An underrated horror franchise Children of the Corn isn't great but has better acting than many 80s-90s horror franchises. COTC4 isn't spectacular by any means but some great effects and one or two good jumps (plus an early Naomi Watts) make it worth your while if you are a horror fan.
April 6, 2014
I found it better than the previous one. I think the problem was the no relation between the previous three, but is good since you get some storyline variety.
November 27, 2013
One of the better of the children of the Corn's probably second only to the original. Had a good set of kill scenes, and i love when B side movies have legit actors just coming up (Naomi Watts). All in all a breathe of fresh horror air in what was a dead franchise.
September 23, 2013
oh my god, I must have rented this movie a hundred times growing up. I remember having to fill out a fucking request form because my video store stocked every single Children of the Corn film EXCEPT this one. pretty sure they only ever got it because I used to go in every week for months and be all like "yo you got my movie yet bitch?" well maybe not quite so gangsta, but I was still an annoying little shit.
½ July 30, 2013
Another dull and pointless sequel, the plot doesn't make a lot of sense and the film never gets a creepy feeling. The kids are more laughable than scary. Slow pacing and uninteresting scenes after another.
½ June 13, 2013
I haven't seen any other movies in this inexplicably prolific series, so why start with #4? For the only reason anyone has watched it during the past ten years: it stars a then-unknown Naomi Watts! In truth, this is not one of those movies to be embarrassed about and need to buy and burn every print. There is some sinister atmosphere and a couple gruesome deaths, but it simply moves too slowly with negligible interest in character definition, and the entire backstory is perfunctorily spit out by two crazed old women. Case in point, Grace (Watts) has a much younger sister Margaret whose real relationship to her comes as a surprise, but the fallout that should occur from dropping such an information bomb is completely ignored! As a horror movie you should pass, but Naomi fans will get a kick out of seeing her climbing the ladder of success while sporting a decent Midwestern accent. Maybe she even retains fond memories of the experience, considering this was the first of many horror movie roles.
½ March 20, 2013
The children return, unfortunately the fronting child in this movie didn't really fill the role as well as those in preceding films! I personally am enjoying this franchise quite a lot, it's not always blockbuster movies that you enjoy sometimes it's a simple and easy watch. The story in this one focused on the sick children and this was actually quite a fresh and interesting approach to the movie, but despite this it sometimes felt a little thin.
½ October 27, 2012
Scenery change to small town of Grand Island. A young med student treats town children who have fevers caused, I guess, by the corn fields. I never thought this series would be worse by not mentioning he who walks behind the rows. I was wrong.
½ October 21, 2012
The story has got a bit more silly with the new ringleader having magical powers now. Way too many dream sequences but overall not as bad as I expected, this being Naomi Watts embarrassing early film an all.
August 28, 2012
Despite being the fourth installment in a far from perfect saga, COTC: The Gathering manages to be creepy and gory bringing a new twist to an old story.