Children of the Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of the Night Reviews

½ February 1, 2016
A dreadful piece of horror trash.
September 21, 2014
it is a really good movie
May 14, 2014
Nothing special, a midnight watch at best, an okay story.
½ April 3, 2013
"Children of the Night" has some interesting ideas to update/revamp the vampire mythology, but unfortunately none of it really goes anywhere. The special effects are good and some scenes where the vampires go to sleep in their "cocoon" stage is pretty impressive, but in the grand scheme of things, the cocoon stage has no relevance to the plot and it turns into a routine vampire movie. Several plot points come out of nowhere and the film often feels like it's based on a book that it assumes the audience has read so it skips over important details. You never really get to understand why some people turn into vampires and other don't (do you have to die to a vampire bite? does it take a certain number of drainings?) and other than just stopping the vampires, it doesn't really have anything else going on story-wise. These factors make the plot is forgettable and while the special effects are pretty good, some of the acting is bad and plants this firmly as "just another vampire movie". If you're a die-hard vampire fan you might be entertained but it's nothing special at all. Other films have taken just one of the multiple ideas in the film (such as a town being overrun by vampires or a wacky group of misfit characters being forced to combat the undead with rag-tag equipment) and made much more satisfying movie experiences and the ideas that haven't been used in other later films don't pay off so there's not much here to recommend. (VHS, September 14, 2012)
½ September 11, 2011
January 20, 2011
Waaaaay cheeeesy, and very uneven vampire flick that was completely entertaining.
½ September 28, 2009
OH MY GOD ! This is why I never buy a movie on DVD unless I watch it first, so I won't get stuck with a crappy movie. This could possibly be the worst vampire movie I have ever seen! The music, the storyline, the vampires and the acting SUCKED so bad ! I only gave this movie a shot because Peter DeLuise starred in it and I liked him on 21 Jumpstreet but man was I wrong, this was a bad movie !
½ September 19, 2009
Ugly vampires and bad fangs... the story had potential and some interesting ideas (underwater lairs instead of coffins and children kept like cattle to continuously feed the master is a practical solution when you're butt-ugly and can't go out in public) but the execution wasn't very good. Only fans of the genre will struggle through this one.
½ September 18, 2009
This film has zero redeemable features. The plot is unoriginal, the dialog is awkward, the special effects are either dumb or lackluster, the overall flow of the film is disjunctive and to top it off, the ending makes little or no sense. The only reason I give this a 10% is for one novel scene near the end in which a vampire gets his face cleaved off by our male lead swinging a board like a bat. Other than that, the film was entirely forgettable.
September 18, 2009
In the early 90's, Fangoria magazines branched out into the film industry and developed a production company that managed to do three low-budget films before jumping ship, and they started with Children of the Night. Directed by Tony Randel (Hellbound: Hellraiser II), Children of the Night is about two girlfriends (Ami Dolenz and Maya McLaughlin) who set out to swim the water-infested Crypt of an old church as a ritual when leaving the town of Allburg for good, but they unwittingly awake a super-vampire that starts converting the town. A couple of days later in a nearby town, a priest shows his best friend (Peter DeLuise) the upstairs bedroom where he has McLaughlin (now a vampire slave that sleeps underwater with lungs exposed and eats bugs) whose forced to have her mother (longtime horror genre actor Karen Black, whose given a lead credit for some reason even though she's not in the movie much) feed off of her. While the priest stays to watch over Black, he convinces DeLuise to go to Allburg to see what's going on, where he uncovers a town full of vampires trying to pray on Dolenz's virgin blood. It's up to him, Dolenz, and homeless man Garrett Morris (film's comic relief, and my favorite person in this film) to fight off the vamps and escape town. For a low-budget, early 90's film, Children of the Night really isn't all that bad, especially since the vampire genre of films has gotten SO DAMN BAD!! The cast does a decent job, including Black in her small role and Morris whose always a delight to see. To top it off, the gore effects are a step above as well, leading to several fun moments throughout the film. The story could have used some better fleshing out, but overall, this gets the job done for me. I liked it.
½ September 3, 2009
Great little genre flick with a whole load of original ideas, and a director who excels at creating a claustrophobic and creepy atmosphere. Some of the performances are odd, and it REALLY falls apart towards the end...but it's also clever, scary, and at times, genuinely hilarious.
February 8, 2009
The Fangoria gem doesn't get the attention it deserves. It's everything a fun B-movie should be, and the vampires have some pretty original qualities.
½ May 12, 2008
Review will be written when/if re-watched (Probability: Zero).

First viewing: 10.04.1998
March 31, 2008
pretty lame movie with vampire kids that are not remotely cool or scary.
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
½ March 21, 2008
I don't know whether this was purposely trying to be bad or not. It was amusing to pass the time with, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you can find it for free.
March 15, 2008
I almost died this was so funny. Such a BAD awful. I loved it.
February 24, 2008
aweful movie it was only good in the begining! It should be a PG movie really! The whole movie was confusing and had no point. Also the one girl and the perverted boy couldn't act at all!