Chimera Strain Reviews

• Jul 13, 2019

I just did not like one very much.

I just did not like one very much.

• Jun 04, 2019

A social document beyond story .What I liked about this film is that it has a social warning that goes beyond the constraints of a narrative film. The issue of stem cell application isn't as hot as it was a decade or so ago, but it still fascinates and is susceptible to controversies. I am also of the opinion that the intention of the director was such that the audience understand this. The ethical and moral dilemma faced by the main character is perhaps an allegory to what we will do when these practices become common place in the very near future. On the filmmaking aspect I don't have much to fault expect they should have gotten rid of some overtly scientific and complicated words. The audience I believe isn't all that well read in this department even though they know the outline of all the main topics stated here. Good film and one I recommend.

• Jun 04, 2019

Not my kind of film. There is lot of gore and some scenes are frankly quite hard to look at. The characters are also not likeable, albeit that must have been the intention of the writer and director. I recall Henry Ian Cusick from Lost but there's no other identifiable face. There are good aspects of the film- I liked the color palette which is a nice change from what I usually see, and of course Henry Ian is very good. I even admired the director's fearlessness in creating the characters in the way he did and having an ending which is shocking. I don't know how this film will go over in the box office. Its too dark and cerebral to appeal to sci-fi kids, and maybe too short and low budgeted to get the critical notice.

• Jun 01, 2019

Chimera Strain is a chilling low budget sci-fi with some neat scenes but a redundant plot that gets worse with each passing minute. This isn't a bad film by any means, but the plot was so bare bones and the locations so sparse I have a hard time really liking it, or even recommending it. The reason I give it a score of 6 is that the sense of dread is evocative, the acting is outstanding (certainly for a film of this magnitude) and the visual look is good. Had the director chosen to tell a straightforward story of a man on a mission I'd have maybe rated this an 8. A special note of mention to the background score which is rather haunting and compliments the scenes well. I'd still suggest the reader to go and see this low budget indie.

• May 31, 2019

Seen it in Portugal. There is a scene in Chimera Strain where the main character puts both his children in spacesuits, suspended in mid-air and against the backdrop of the cosmos, by way of a projector. It is an endearing moment in a depressing film and one that stayed with me. I loved this scene but apart from it, and a few moments of brilliance the film had me wanting more. The premise is simple- a scientist must save his family from certain death unless he manages to find a cure, and soon. The casting is good especially Henry Ian Cusick who gives his finest performance till date and Kathleen Quinlan is feisty as the villain. But the film ultimately doesn't go anywhere. Heck, we don't even get to see what came of the children. An average to slightly above average science fiction film.

• May 30, 2019

I had no idea what Chimera Strain was going to be about. With a blank slate I went inside the dark auditorium and I am glad to report that this is one of the best low budget films of recent memory. The film is about a scientist whose wife lies in a coma due to a degenerative disorder. She lies in a coma from the moment we see her. Their two children, who seem fit and lively in the now are also afflicted with this curse and will probably die of it soon. It is now up to the scientist to find a way to save his children and wife. The acting is stupendous- it is not a hyperbole to say Henry Ian Cusick gives a stunning performance as the tragic main lead. Kathleen Quinlan has a glorified cameo, but it is a good injection into the plot. The set designs and art direction are very good in fact so good that I didn't believe it when they mentioned it's a low budget indie. Above all this film belongs to the writer-director who has realized his vision gloriously. I would eagerly await Mr. Haems's follow up to Chimera Strain!

• May 30, 2019

Chimera Strain was a nice film with a great twist in the end (which I shall not spoil) somehow hampered by a flawed approach to the art of narrative structuring. Although running barely 80 minutes the film goes off on a tangent about philosophical quandaries that divert from the storytelling. Had this film been one of the many scyfy products which barely have a story that'd be fine, but this film has an interesting plot. The acting is something of a hit and miss also with the main characters doing a great job, but the child actors aren't good. Neither is the wife, but I don't blame the actress. Having said all this Chimera Strain is a film I'd still recommend to any viewer out there. It isn't the holy grail of indie science fiction cinema, but it's a step in the right direction.

• May 28, 2019

Chimera Strain by Maurice Haems is a film that took me by surprise- I was expecting a cheesy sci-fi film filled with bad effects and laughable dialogues but this film is a lot better than that. The story- which is quite relatable in a way is about a scientist played wonderfully by Henry Ian Cusick, who must save his wife and two children from certain death due to a genetic disorder. His wife is already comatose and the two kids, although well now could die anytime. The acting and look of the film are top notch but unfortunately the film is let down by a narrative structure that is all over the place. There are scenes where we do not know is its happening in real time, or in flashback or perhaps even in the main lead's head. The execution could have been much better, especially considering how they got pretty much everything else right. I would still recommend this film and suggest the reader to make their own opinion.

• May 26, 2019

Chimera Stress more like it .I wanted to love Chimera Strain, I really did. But there are moments whilst watching a film when one goes- "Why on earth did they do that, it was perfectly alright" and I said that many a times in the film's sparse 80-minute runtime. Why, oh why do the directors feel that casting their relatives in primary roles will be overseen by the audience? I shouldn't blame the children here but clearly, they weren't trained to even ad lib properly. The narrative structure- the three-act structure is a time-tested formula that must not be fidgeted with and that is exactly what the filmmakers here ended up doing. The reason I am upset is because this is a film clearly made with ingenuity and passion. Rarely have I seen a sci-fi independent film look as good as Chimera Strain does and the performances here (barring the kids and the wife) belong in an A movie. It stressed me to overlook all the fine bits and try to focus and understand the confusing narrative structure. A film that should have been a solid nine is reduced to a bare minimum six.

• May 25, 2019

Chimera Strain is a well-made movie by Maurice Haems- an Indian filmmaker. This is a tragic take enmeshed in the world of biogenetics. Henry Ian Cusick of Lost fame plays a scientist who has a limited amount of time to find a way to save his wife and two children who are dying of a degenerative disorder. This is acting of the highest order and Cusick truly sells the movie. He serves as the perfect focal point conveying and emitting every Pandora's box of emotion expected with seemingly minimal effort while applaudable avoidance of exaggeration. Giving him support is the lovely Kathleen Quinlan as the evil Masterson. The acting is the selling point but the other aspects such as set design and sound effects are also quite good- certainly better than most scifi films of a lower budget. I think you should watch this film without much anticipation or expectation.