Chinatown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chinatown Reviews

February 22, 2017
This is a masterpiece with the best work from Robert Town, Roman Polanski and the lead actors Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. Everything in this film was thought out flawlessly and Polanski guides the atmosphere in this film brilliantly. Jack Nicholson delivers every scene in high gear and Faye Dunaway's performance seems better with each viewing. This film covers is easily one of the best films I have ever seen and an absolute must see for any aspiring actors, screenwriters, or directors.
February 8, 2017
3 stars + half-star bonus for the crushing instant-classic ending + half-star bonus for David Fincher's commentary track. Now I get it: Zodiac was Fincher's Chinatown.
February 4, 2017
Polanski's Chinatown is suitably vague and creepy with the Polish director's usual twisted psycho-sexual undercurrents.
½ February 1, 2017
I don't understand the love for it. The pacing is awful. It's so dry that it feels like you are watching nothing at times. It does seem to have the right look, but is too boring to appreciate. (First and only viewing - 12/10/2010)
January 28, 2017
What a gem from 1974. A film I had never heard of apart from its listing in Steven Schneider's 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.
Directed by Roman Polanski and starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway it was made in the pre-blockbuster era and really shows the brilliance of the director rather than a few gimmicky CGI effects and laser beams!
The film noir genre is epitomised by films from the forties shot in black and white and sort of detective thrillers.
Here we have a Technicolor film from 1974 revisiting the genre.
The performance of Nicholson as private detective Jake Gittes is mesmerising and up there with his other great roles.
Gittes is an ex-policeman who worked in the Chinatown district of Los Angeles.
Now a private detective in 1930s LA. He becomes embroiled in the private life of the chief engineer of LA's water and power department.
Hired by his so called wife at the films beginning he later discovers it wasn't actually who she claimed.
Investigating further what turns out to be so called adultery actually becomes a murder, greed and intimidation case involving the local water supply!
The story could actually have been a screenplay for an episode of Murder, She Wrote but the performances of the cast and ultimately its direction by Polanski are wonderful to watch.
It's the camera angles, the screenplay, photography that all come to the fore.
No doubt you will never have heard of it but I would highly recommended it over the modern multiplex trash.
January 21, 2017
With a decent twisting plot this film is elevated above averageness by the cast, the performances, the score and the direction. Just a shame the plot didn't intrigue me all that much but it was at least entertaining enough to be watchable.
January 19, 2017
It is well know that Chinatown is the greatest neo-noir ever made, but it is the unpopular opinion that it may just be the greatest film ever made. While I don't quite believe this, I do believe that Chinatown is in the ranks of Citizen Kane, The Godfather, and Casablanca. Chinatown is a masterpiece
½ January 19, 2017
No 90 percenter, but a well written and acted detective story with plenty of twists that keep upping the stakes.
January 13, 2017
amaaaaazing movie , one of the best i've ever watched it's just perfect with the twists , the screenplay and i really liked that nicholson is in every scene
½ December 19, 2016
El barrio chino es el pasado que se repite, se pretende superarlo pero uno vuelve a cometer los mismos errores: tener la certeza de estar bien encaminado, hacer el ridículo a gran escala y asimilar con horror que una vez más todo se fue al carajo. En un instante se desmorona lo que se vino construyendo con la confianza de estar haciendo bien las cosas, y no hay marcha atrás. La música es un encanto, te lleva a un estado de ensueño desde la primera nota del bronce que da inicio a la película. La historia avanza a paso firme mientras los hechos del crimen se van enmarañando y de a poco perdemos la noción del lugar que ocupa el protagonista en toda la chacota. 9/10
November 24, 2016
An extremely complex film noir full of mystery and intelligent twists that keep us always guessing and trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle, while its brilliant script is only matched by Polanski's excellent direction and Jack Nicholson's nuanced performance.
November 24, 2016
The most mainstream Polanski film up to 1974. A multi-layered film noire with great performances and masterful direction. The film prominently displays Polanski's signature themes. Originally, the first of an intended trilogy of film. Only one sequel was made though. Followed by the sequel: The Two Jakes (1991), which was directed by Jack Nicholson in place of Polanski. This should be a part of The Criterion Collection and is available on Blu-ray in the US.
November 19, 2016
polanski nin yine karma??k bir filmi.. dunaway ve nickholson ba?rolde..
15 ya??nda iken babas?n?n tecavüzü ile cocuk dogurup evden kacan dunaway ?n kocas? sonradan babas? taraf?nda öldürülüyor. olay?n içinde bir de los angeles e yap?lmas? istenilen baraj vs rant i?leri var..
November 9, 2016
Creepy, gritty, and simply unforgettable. One of Jack's greatest performances make this thriller-noir one of the best films ever made.
October 30, 2016
A edge of your seat thriller that will keep you involved the entire runtime, Chinatown is one of the most original detective stories probably what makes it a classic.
October 18, 2016
5 ud af 5 næseplastre. Stadig et mesterværk 42 år efter.
September 15, 2016
A brilliant noir tragedy that is beautiful in its cynicism.
September 12, 2016
jack nicholson's best role
September 5, 2016
A stunningly great movie from start to finish, "Chinatown" is potentially the greatest movie in the neo-noir genre.
½ August 31, 2016
Welcome to Los Angeles the city of angels. Trust me, by the end of this movie you're going to be wondering if it should actually be referred to as the city of demons.
Jack Nicholson stars in Roman Polanski's Chinatown alongside Faye Dunaway and John Huston. Nicholson's character, J.J. Gittes, Is a private eye who delves into other people's secrets while trying to escape from his own.
J.J. Gittes is a private eye in a city where everyone has something to hide and on a regular afternoon, Gittes get asked to spy on a woman's husband to find out who he is being unfaithful with. This women is Mrs. Mulwray, wife of Hollis Mulwray, the chief engineer for the Los Angeles Water and Power Supply, an important and prominent figure in the city. Gittes gets the job done and the pictures end up in the local newspaper.
However, when Gittes is approached and handed a lawsuit by a women claiming to be the real Mrs. Mulwray (Faye Dunawaya), he realizes he was setup. Gittes, who is not easily hoodwinked and values is reputation, sets out to figure out who wanted to setup Mr. Mulwray.
This is where the web of lies begins. And as Gittes digs deeper and deeper the web begins to unravel, and to surprising results. What begins as a scandal involving the corruption and manipulation of one of Los Angeles most important resources quickly turns in to a story involving a lot of people and their very personal secrets. And somehow, they are all connected.
I don't really want to go too much into the plot because this movie really relies on its twists and turns that occur throughout the film. I can say though that this movie really has it all. It has an engaging story, great characters that I actually started to care about as the film went on. The atmosphere it brilliant, such a dark and corrupt story set in the backdrop of the beautiful Los Angeles.
There are three main characters at the forefront of the story. J.J. Gittes is our hero. He is a private eye who has secrets from his past that still trouble him. "Are you alone?" Gittes is asked at one point, and his response is "isn't everybody?" showing us just how lonely Gittes really is. Often times in this film Gittes is outnumbered and helpless and you begin to sympathize for him and his struggles and how impossible his task is.
Faye Dunaway plays Evelyn Mulwray, a character which a lot of the twists and turns revolve around. We don't really find out who or what she really is until the latter end of the movie. And as the credits were rolling, she still seemed a mystery to me.
Lastly, but certainly not least you have John Huston, in one of his most chilling performances as Noah Cross. Cross is very rich man who is associated with the LA Water and Power Supply and who is also