Chinese Box - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chinese Box Reviews

February 21, 2014
another winner from one of my fave WORKING directors, Wayne Wang ('the joy luck club' and 'smoke'
March 8, 2013
sexy movie but ultimately not one of jeremy irons best. the story is a little congusing but still worth watching.
½ May 1, 2012
Boring (I mean, unwatchable) movie, from the beginning to the end. Jeremy Irons plays a tormented journalist who takes disgusting things and wants to know irrelevant stuff in order to publish. The DVD box suggests the movie is about a forbidden love between a single englishman and a married chinese woman. This could only happen during the last 15 minutes of the film.
½ February 8, 2012
Should have turned it off but I kept waiting for something to happen... horrible movie.
½ May 10, 2011
One of my favourite films of all time!!!
April 5, 2011
Chinese box...makes me thing of...well a Chinese box and it looks like that is excatly what this movie is about...
December 2, 2010
One of my all time favorites.
December 1, 2009
They really shouldn't put hooker puns in the title of movies.
½ October 31, 2009
Very special deep and tender
½ July 12, 2009
I would have liked this movie more, or at least hated it less, if it had actually said or thought anything. I'm not even asking that what is says, thinks, or does is original! But it had no direction. Which would have been okay, because I love movies where nothing happens, if it hadn't been placed in a context where some sort of decision was necessary. Maybe it needed more time, more distance from the actual event?

Also, this is the kind of movie that thinks women shape their identities around men. That's not true.
shesdownbytheriver
April 10, 2009
No thanks - Not interested
bbcfloridabound
March 17, 2009
Not sure what to say about this film, as I am really not sure what the points was. Its from a list of films listed in the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival, and all the other films from that list that I have seen have been great. This one is about a journalist who has leukemia and can't get over a girlfriend. He also meets a scare face women and why she was in this film is beyond me. But its during the Chinese takeover of Hong Kong in 1997, and the brits are kicked out of the country. This one just do it for me though I enjoyed the video shots of Hong Kong, Market Places. Music was good also. So 3 stars, I didn't fall a sleep.
December 11, 2008
nothanks not my kinda thing
December 9, 2008
I keep trying to get past the beginning but its slow starting....
November 18, 2008
Gong Li (Memoirs of a Geisha, Curse of the Golden Flowers) speaks english fo rthe first time.
½ November 14, 2008
I was watching it today on IFC... WOW.. true story comes real. Plus Jeremy Irons and Gong Li are inspiring amazing actor n actress!! Very beautiful backgroung of Hong Kong... recommended for anyone who wants go to CHINA or foreign. LOL
November 14, 2008
I have been wanting to see this for some time. Today I happened to be flipping past IFC and it had just started, True story.

Jeremy Irons is a great actor.
Gong Li is a great actress.
Plain and simple.

This movie, was interesting. There is a lot going on here, and if you don't pay attention you may miss something.
The story is centralized around Irons character, but there seems to be like 5 different stories unfolding.

Iron's narration is great.
Gong Li's character is compelling, especially when she is watching the old movie in the bar, and she is acting it out.
Maggie Cheung has been in some great movies, and I really liked her character in this.

I like how the story takes place during the transfer of control of Hong Kong. It sets the theme for the stories.
Part of the movie is shot like the documentary Irons is creating, so you have the bouncy camera movement.

One of the most interesting things about this movie is the soundtrack.
It was really really good, and mixed in with a heart beat every so often.

Overall I think this was a little tough to follow, and see where it is going, but still very good nevertheless.
October 24, 2008
Interesting to watch for the setting and the place. Pleasant.
October 22, 2008
A fine drama. A little hard to reach, though.
½ September 17, 2008
Pretty decent, kind of slow but interesting drama.