Choke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Choke Reviews

May 21, 2014
I would rather see them make Survivor into a movie but this isn't a bad start... go go more Palahniuk books becoming movies.
February 21, 2014
Funny and perversely smart. Choke finds the humor in disease... much like myself. There's heart, there's laughs... it's a decent watch.
½ January 10, 2014
"Choke" is a very dark comedy starring Sam Rockwell. This film takes risks and is very unusual in a good sense. Rockwell portrays Victor Mancini, a sex addict who works at a living history museum, cons people in his free time by pretending to choke to gain their sympathy and during the film tries to uncover the truth about his birth. There is plenty to laugh at in this film, yet there is also a substantial amount of drama. "Choke" shouldn't be pigeonholed into one specific genre, it is it's own thing.

Sam Rockwell gives a great performance as always and the entire supporting cast is very fitting. "Choke" is borderline insane, but that's a positive thing.
November 27, 2013
Sam is doing his very best but the script had other ideas. Not as sexy or crazy as this sex-crazed story should have been.
November 19, 2013
I hated Fight Cub, but found this to be much more thoughtful without the overwhelming amount testosterone. I thought it swayed back and forth between sincere and hostile, but that is the whole point. It isn't just some raunchy sex movie.
October 8, 2013
Although the pacing is disastrous and the amateur fade-to-white flashback is overused Sam Rockwell plays his part as best he can an keeps interest going. Comedic timing isn't perfect throughout some of the jokes are truly memorable.
½ September 8, 2013
From the author of Fight Club, Choke is a bizarre and funny movie. Rockwell's performance as always delivers in this strange tale of sex addiction and life. I found the movie to be entertaining, but there are at times the movie isn't as engaging or amusing. I think the childhood scenes should of been more developed to tie more to the story. But for what it's worth, a bizarre and funny movie.
September 7, 2013
Choke is loyal to it's source material and Rockwell is his usual electrifying self, but it's missing the emotion, dark comedy and insight of Palahniuk's book.
August 22, 2013
This is a completely forgettable movie.
August 20, 2013
Ne mogu kliknit 3ipo bez obzira.
August 10, 2013
A sex addict works in a dead end job, cons people in restaurants pretending to be "choking" and visits his mother in her care home.
Theres alot of sex a few laughs and for a while its mildly amusing.
August 2, 2013
not perfect but. better then you would think.
July 25, 2013
1999's Fight Club Is One Of My Favorite Films.
July 23, 2013
Good indie film. The director somehow was able to take a crazy idea and something that could have been a very bad movie and make it entertaining.
July 1, 2013
Well, this movie doesn!t give you much but Angelica Huston's performance is worth seeing, I loved her in this movie however, I found the movie somewhat vulgar and mostly average.
June 30, 2013
Semi-grappige film, zat meer in, ideaal voor een luie zondagavond ;-)
June 28, 2013
A comedy drama about human insecurities and where we find comfort through strange things, kidnapping a child, dating a customer, having sex with a fellow sex addict. With a lack of real climax at the end nor any specific memorable moment, this is a movie about nothing as much as about something. Choke is packaged in a light Hollywood style drama comedy with a deeper substance if you care to digest.
June 1, 2013
Looks Funny in a dark F'd up way.
½ May 22, 2013
This eponymous adaptation of a Chuck Palahniuk novel goes through the right motions, but loses track of its charm somewhere in the translation. The filmmakers probably loathe any comparisons to Fight Club, Palahniuk's most famous property, but with a similarly sarcastic tone, grim protagonist and writhing, unpredictable plot, it's difficult not to tie the two together in some meaningful ways. Choke barely holds a candle to its daunting big brother, sadly; it captures none of the character or idealism that made Tyler Durden's darker hues so palatable, and the dialog - though witty in a few spots - is largely lacking in conviction and flavor. Sam Rockwell's turn as Victor, a sex-addicted scam artist in the midst of a midlife crisis, is uncharacteristically dull and bland. It's tough to root for, or even identify with, such a despicable character, even as his journey reveals the details of why he is this way. The storyline, explained via a series of monologues so single-minded Kevin Smith might blush, branches off in so many directions, it's often difficult to determine what's the primary message and what's just window dressing. Over-ambitious at best, it's a mess of competing distractions with few resolutions and a cast of shuffling, murmuring archetypes. A disappointment
April 18, 2013
It was okay. Kind of played out like Californication as a movie - similar in theme with the sex addict lead character. I didn't really like him too much, the actor or the character. It was watchable in a dark way, but not something I would like to watch again, and I generally like dark/twisted themes.
The best thing for me was Kelly McDonald. I seem to have caught a few of her movies lately and I've been quite impressed with her. The flashbacks to his childhood with his mum, played by Angelica Huston, were also fun to watch.