Choke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Choke Reviews

½ May 22, 2013
This eponymous adaptation of a Chuck Palahniuk novel goes through the right motions, but loses track of its charm somewhere in the translation. The filmmakers probably loathe any comparisons to Fight Club, Palahniuk's most famous property, but with a similarly sarcastic tone, grim protagonist and writhing, unpredictable plot, it's difficult not to tie the two together in some meaningful ways. Choke barely holds a candle to its daunting big brother, sadly; it captures none of the character or idealism that made Tyler Durden's darker hues so palatable, and the dialog - though witty in a few spots - is largely lacking in conviction and flavor. Sam Rockwell's turn as Victor, a sex-addicted scam artist in the midst of a midlife crisis, is uncharacteristically dull and bland. It's tough to root for, or even identify with, such a despicable character, even as his journey reveals the details of why he is this way. The storyline, explained via a series of monologues so single-minded Kevin Smith might blush, branches off in so many directions, it's often difficult to determine what's the primary message and what's just window dressing. Over-ambitious at best, it's a mess of competing distractions with few resolutions and a cast of shuffling, murmuring archetypes. A disappointment
April 18, 2013
It was okay. Kind of played out like Californication as a movie - similar in theme with the sex addict lead character. I didn't really like him too much, the actor or the character. It was watchable in a dark way, but not something I would like to watch again, and I generally like dark/twisted themes.
The best thing for me was Kelly McDonald. I seem to have caught a few of her movies lately and I've been quite impressed with her. The flashbacks to his childhood with his mum, played by Angelica Huston, were also fun to watch.
½ April 7, 2013
Very original premise - I would love to see how it translates as a book, because compared to the authors other film Fight Club it dosnt pack as a big an emotional punch but still asks a lot of questions. The film ultimately is an okay dark-comedy, possessing only a few genuine laugh out loud moments, the style and characters quirky but not strong enough as a collective. Sam Rockwells central performance is good but subdued considering the nature of the character as an idea on paper and having seen this following his majestic turn in Seven Psychopaths.
½ April 6, 2013
Rockwell is amazing, as usual, but the tone is all-over-the-place.
March 27, 2013
Awhile not as great as the novel, it's still a darkly funny film on it's own.
February 18, 2013
not even close to being as good as the book, but not that bad a film
½ January 22, 2013
This was the kind of film I really dug in high school. Know what? I haven't changed. I just don't watch movies like this anymore. And I freakin' miss them. A lovely film that may not have the edge of the book, but tons more heart. Kept me laughing and even sentimental. Kelly Macdonald... *loving sigh*
½ January 21, 2013
A disjointed and ugly movie who's last ditch effort at morality is too little too late.
January 13, 2013
This movie was such a sad, sad disappointment. I LOVE the novel and I expected nothing less of the film, seeing as how the Fight Club adaptation was spot on, but this was choppy and boring. The plot doesn't make sense unless you have read the novel and the film seemed rushed. This story has so much potential to be a cult phenomenon, but the director seriously screwed it up. I could keep ranting on but I want to go cry in a corner after the crap I just watched.
½ January 13, 2013
I thought the acting from Rockwell and Houston was awesome! A very dark comedy-drama. I haven't read the book, but I definitely will now. Some very very interesting characters. I loved it.
January 4, 2013
the problem with this movie is direction,while fight club got "fincher" this one got "clark gregg"...otherwise as for me...i njoyed it,no doubt it cud have been made way better..!
½ December 29, 2012
The humor is perverse and wonderful. The story is demented and interesting.
December 25, 2012
Not as good as the book (why they didn't stick with the real ending, I'll never know). But a solid flick all-around, and you can't find someone better for the lead than Sam Rockwell...
November 28, 2012
Very dark comedy that's also pretty tragic in places too. Angelica Huston is amazing and Sam Rockwell is very good in this twisted story based on Chuck Palahnuiks book :)
October 28, 2012
ehh...

2009 Movies: 123
October 26, 2012
First off, to all who have read the book and know the author. NO FUCKIN ADAPTATION IS AS GOOD AS THE BOOK FROM HENCE ITS ORIGIN! So get over it. The whole point of this movie is perception and those who can't read between the lines or are easily offended by sex do not watch this movie you will hate it. Clark Gregg did a pretty good job picking the cast I couldn't see anyone else playing Mr. Mancini he gives off the vibe of slick, quick witted and creepy just like the book. This is a comedy for those who know how to read books without pictures. If you want slapstick do not watch this film. This book had to be one of the hardest to turn into a movie and I could actually stomach this adaptation, it was quite palitable. See the movie but read the book you won't be able to put it down.
October 23, 2012
By no means a perfect movie, but it's really hard for me not to like it. In fact, fuck it, I love it.
October 20, 2012
i read the book so... yea good but lacking
October 19, 2012
This movie was lame. Promoted towards art house students who possess no knowledge or taste; drawn in by an authors name.