Choose Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Choose Me Reviews

April 25, 2016
A great alternative to the vapid teen 'romance' flicks out there.
Cuddle up with your better half, pour the wine, and enjoy this mature, provocative and poignant film.
The solid direction by Rudolph and his great ensemble carry the story with sexually charged vigour.
June 26, 2015
The onscreen action is limited, but the talk is deep. There's a constant feeling that something is going on just beneath the surface, but it's hard to conjure up just what it is. At any rate, this movie works.
July 4, 2014
It's a hard film to figure out but it's still one of the best times I had at the movies that year. You're never really certain whether some of the more outlandish ideas were carefully thought out or if the director lucked into some of his effects. Either way it works out beautifully. I still watch it at least 3 or 4 times a year.
½ May 13, 2014
A pretty unique romance film. It isn't full of the typical romantic film cliches like other similar films. That doesn't mean that it's a great movie either. It's pretty good, as it's unique, has a nice cast of actors, and it's kind of interesting. That said, it could have been better. A little comedy never hurts, for one thing. So, I haven't seen this in a while, but that's what I have to say about what I remember of this film. Overall, it's pretty good, but more for the romantic drama fans.
½ March 2, 2014
A little on the slow side but what it lacks in energy it makes for with beautifully constructed tableaux of LA 80s chic!
January 27, 2013
CTeddy Pendergrass sings the movie title for this 1984 movie. This song was a big hit for Teddy. Famous Quote here "Fuck open dreams!" this movie is always a great watch. Helps you analyze certain behaviours. watch this movie and let me know what you think. On Cable too. Holla back
May 17, 2012
An Ex Hooker/Bar Owner...A Mental Hospital Escapee and A Radio Sex Therapist all come together in this really boring film about desperate sad people looking for anything to fill their stupid lives with.
May 17, 2012
Boring movie filled with sad,desperate people..so no wonder why it's so popular with the masses.
May 4, 2012
Interesting, if somewhat flawed, movie about a sex therapy host of a radio program who can't stop yapping to everyone she knows about relationships. She becomes roommates with Eve, who has man problems of her own, She loves a man, another man loves her, that other man is married to another woman, and that other woman has the hots for the original man. So it's a bit of a complex tale of relationships. It sometimes gets silly (especially when Genevive Buijold starts yapping) and nothing really is resolved. I seemed to recall a plotline like this on a Happy Days episode once. That had a better conclusion than this.
½ January 12, 2012
First I was like, "Oh, it's based on a play," then I was like, "Wait, it's not based on a play?" Then I was like, "That's the last Alan Rudolph movie I watch."
½ September 28, 2011
Some very strong performances, but Alan Rudolph's rumination on sex and love just never quite develops enough dramatic tension to keep its loose, character-driven plot consistently compelling. A well-made film with some genuine moments, but ultimately underwhelming. The overwrought songs by Teddy Pendergrass date it pretty badly.
January 16, 2011
Would hold its own in a double feature with "One from the Heart", assuming your theme was either movies about love or "impressive direction, but also kind of a colossal bummer". I can't even explain what sort of weird alchemy is at work here, but it manages to be a character driven piece where for a while you don't even realize how little you really know about the characters because you're so invested, then not much later you realize that you actually have been learning more about them than it seemed. Subtle and very controlled writing, performances, and set design all around.
November 16, 2010
A nice style that is refreshing to see.
October 2, 2010
Extremely dated, and mind-bogglingly slow-moving by today's standards, but I still love Alan Rudolph. The whole thing is so stylized it's more like watching a play than a movie, and both the Carradine and Bujold characters stick vividly in my mind after decades. Great to see it again, and I'm tempted to go on a Rudolph spree now. Funny to see this time capsule of a more innocent time... the days when Dr. Ruth was a nationwide phenomenon, and explicit discussion of sex on talk radio was a bracing shock, and taking photos of a nude woman half-covered by blankets was enough to get someone labelled a "pervert."
I think it's time to see "Brother From Another Planet" again next...
August 31, 2010
makes you think as well as wett!!!
August 18, 2010
great multiple plot drama that all the story lines intersect
½ August 11, 2010
I like Alan Rudoph and had heard this one was good, but it seemed kind of forced and quirky in a way that I found annoying. I just might have not been in the right mood for this movie. Maybe I'll watch it again. Keith Carradine was great though.
April 25, 2010
A rather interesting cast with a very oddball storyline! I didn't see the whole movie so I can't give it an honest rating but, since what I did see of it was on the run-of-the-mill network TV where all of the good parts get cut out, then the only option for me is to search for it online and hope to catch it.

Looks to be more of a gem with a sizable amount of dud potential.