Chopper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chopper Reviews

March 27, 2014
Was expecting a bit more, but good performance from Bana.
January 24, 2014
love this film, eric bana does an awesome job
½ January 12, 2014
An incredible film thanks to Eric Bana's incredible yet unsettling performance as Mark "Chopper" Read. The film follows Chopper's life from 1978 to 1988 as he goes through a 10-year sentence, adjusting to life outside of prison, and going back for 5 more years. The film has an unsettling atmosphere that adds more to Chopper and his life, smart direction and writing from Andrew Dominik, and cinematography that just makes the film and character more unsettling. The one reason this film is a major cult hit is Eric Bana in his iconic and unrecognizable role as career criminal Mark "Chopper" Read. Bana nails the character due to his makeup and massive weight gain, as well as the characterization as Chopper, nailing tense and dangerous movements that leave moments of suspense throughout. A film that shows how deadly, dangerous, and unpredictable crime is, and how it affects a criminal's life whether or not they're out of the game, and worth watching if you want to see the life of a criminal.
November 6, 2013
Eric Bana's flashy, dynamic, unpredictable and boarder line psychotic performance is matched by the film's direction and screenplay. Domink achieves excellence on every level in providing us with a fine addition to Australian Cinema.
November 6, 2013
Eric Bana is Mark "Chopper" Read - A rather nasty criminal who wrote his autobiography whilst serving time in prison. It's Eric Bana's best role to date and must be seen for that fact alone. Whether his autobiography was factual or not he certainly made a name for himself. It has a bizarre mix of comedy and down right ferocity that certainly makes for an interesting watch.
November 6, 2013
In light of the recent passing of uncle chop chop i decided to revisit this movie having not watched it since i was about 12 (Bad parenting I know) and was not at all disappointed. Eric Bana leads an all australian cast who give this movie a real sense of authenticity. Vince Colosimo and Simon Lyndon are standouts as Neville (Fucking) Bartos and the not so likeable junky Jimmy Loughnan but the accolades rightly go to Bana in one of the performances of his career. This movie is not without floors as the storyline somewhat misses the point as to why you make these movies in the first place. Opportunities to really explore Mark Read's character and the underworld he immersed himself in are lost in a story that really just glorifies a criminal rather than explains him. In saying that I enjoyed this film and laughed out loud at some of "Choppers" psychotic one liners.
½ October 19, 2013
The movie is decent, but Eric Bana is legendary.
October 10, 2013
Really great movie, funny and scary at the same time.
October 10, 2013
Twisted ,shocking amd stylishly crafted, Chopper massively benefits from Eric Bana's portrayal of the gritty famous australian criminal Chopper Read which will leave you speechless. Another great Australian crime film
October 5, 2013
Manages a really weird blend of harsh violence and sympathetic charm. A thoroughly disturbing portrait of duality and insanity.
½ September 27, 2013
I never heard of Mark "Chopper" Read, and after watching this movie, I can't say I learned much about him. There's some quirkiness and fine performances for sure, but I didn't quite get the point, perhaps some Australian humor was lost on me.
September 27, 2013
Eric bana. Is brilliant
September 2, 2013
Interesting performance by Eric Bana as a notorious Australian criminal and bestselling author.
August 17, 2013
It was enjoyable to see Eric Bana's early work. Based on an interesting real life person (not sure if it's an Aussie thing, but there's a note at the beginning that says it takes narrative liberties, which I appreciate). If nothing else, this movie is worth the watch to see the weirdest failed jail assassination attempt I've ever seen.
August 16, 2013
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
July 18, 2013
Deadly! Eric Banna Is Terrifying
July 13, 2013
I liked Bana in this, but the film itself is not that great.
June 23, 2013
Ends with a bit of a head-scratcher, but God if Bana isn't the most entertaining ever?!?
May 18, 2013
Eric Bana gives a performance that is very strange, yet brilliant and amazingly provocative.
April 30, 2013
Really enjoyed this movie. I thought was going be boring but nah was quality like.