The Chorus (Les Choristes) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chorus (Les Choristes) Reviews

January 30, 2017
viewed on 11/9/04 (Sat)

I am biased towards movies that 'speak' to me. I don't care, I am not professional anyway. Hee ...

I am not hoping too much for this movie. Before this, there are MONA LISA SMILE, SCHOOL OF ROCK, DEAD POETS SOCIETY, DANGEROUS MINDS, THE EMPEROR'S CLUB etc etc. But wait... lo and behold. I want to shout it out. I love it, l love it, I LOVE IT! I can't wait to recommend this movie to my colleagues. Send them an email! Tell them on Monday. I was telling myself.

I can relate very well to this movie. Some classes are so notorious that the noise made before you see the class seems more like a war-cry. All of them against only you! They are despised by the school. They know that and you will be surprised, they are sad to know that. In response, they rebel. There are surely times when you are faced with a blatantly rude student who rip apart your ideals and beliefs and step on them. If your self-discipline is not in check, the immediate reaction is a slap across the cocky face. They have nothing to lose. They know the rules and punishment, maybe even better than you. They will not stoop to lick your boots but on the contrary they know where to push the buttons and watch you go insane. How to win their hearts back? Learn from this movie. For a start, play along and don't things so seriously. Learn to be nice but firm. Don't take every mischief as a challenge to your well-guarded authority and ... your ego. I can't say I master it but these hard-learned lessons I remember over the years.

There is a very touching episode. The most notorious boy in the class happens to be a singing talent. The teacher encourages him and grooms him. One day, sensing that the teacher likes his mother, he throws ink on him, disappointing deeply both his mother and teacher. The teacher understands the boy so there is no corporal punishment or a reprimand. He just simply one day tells him that his voice is good but not indispensable in the choir. On the day when the choir sings to an important guest, he stands at one side looking angry and jealous. The guest asks about him and the teacher explains that he is a special case. In the middle of the performance, the teacher signals to him to sing his solo part. The 'special case' sings most beautifully because he sings with pride and ... immense gratitude. Later, with the help from the teacher, he gets a scholarship in a reputable music school and becomes, what we know at the opening of the movie, an orchestra conductor.

The movie is too short. I did not want it to end so soon. I want to know more about what happen next to the characters whom I grow to love so much. Well, I guess I have to let it be. Like the teacher, it is simply a humble and since labour of love. I have a feeling it doesn't even think highly of itself. I love this movie even more.

Rating: A+
Expected Rating: B+
October 28, 2016
People have told me this film is good. I haven't seen any French films before.
½ September 14, 2016
Touching, fresh, definitely one of my best foreign films
June 9, 2016
J'adorais ce film. La musique est incroyable et Morhange a un voix d'ange.

Even though Mathieu is a failed musician, he didn't give up on his music. Comme il a dit . Although he never became famous, through music, he changed the kids' lives because he gave them a chance to do something, he gave them care that obviously Rachin didn't.

It's all about action-reaction -- give them harsh punishments (like Mondain or Mouton), they'll want revenge; give them a chance and hope, they change for the better.
June 8, 2016
An exquisite film with beautiful music.
½ May 2, 2016
A very simple story told in a very simple way. It could have gone deep in the characters and emotions without overdoing sentimentalism. The main reason for which you may find the characters appealing is because of the film's manipulation over the audiences' feelings, using very plane resources. Nevertheless it is entertaining and touching in a way. Maybe a fantasy, but movies don't have to be made out of reality.
January 9, 2016
Riveting. Inspiring. I could watch this over and over. This movie with stay with me for life. I loved every minute of it.
December 9, 2015
Les choristes est film qui suivait la vie de Clément Mathieu et ses aventures au l'école «Fond de l'Etang». Il vient au l'école pour deviner un pion pour une classe de jeunes gars. Pendant son travail il commence un choriste pour les gars et les résultats sont incroyable!
Les Choristes est la «dramadie» d'année! Le film était excellent du début à la fin. Mes premières impressions du film est que l'école était un très effraient place et le directeur M. Rachin était très méchant au gars. J'aime ce film beaucoup c'était très drôle et c'est très facile de relier avec les personnages. J'ai eu la difficulté de ne regarde pas. Et il y a un très bon message dans le film. M. Mathieu ne voulais pas enseigner la musique encore, mais quand il réalise que les gars peuvent chanter il décide de suivre ses passions et d'enseigner la musique encore. Alors, le message est de toujours suivre tes passions et rêves. Les acteurs étaient incroyable ils ont joué leurs rôles parfaitement! L'endroit pour l'école était parfaite aussi, s'ajoute à l'atmosphère effarant d'école. Et la musique était formidable, j'avais chaque chanson dans ma tête pour le reste du jour après qu'on a regarder le film. Je recommande ce film a n'importe qui! C'était un des meilleurs films français que j'ai vue dans un long temps.
October 27, 2015
This is what we're missing from a lot of today's films. The classic charm. The purity. The type of film that stays with you a long time after it was shown to you.
½ September 28, 2015
A beautiful story of a teacher dedicated to his children in care, with no desire for any other greatness than unveiling the marvel of music to the youth, and that of one of his students.
July 22, 2015
I loved this movie for the simple story of a good man coming teach and live at a boarding school for "bad" boys and turning the whole school around (while he lasted) by teaching the boys to sing. They sang beautifully, especially the boy who had been labeled the "devil's spawn" who had the face and the voice of an angel. However, the ending felt abrupt and sad. I'm sure the ending would be different had it been made in America. It made me think about how we get what we expect and how you can be a lone force of good in a highly negative environment and make a lasting impact. I loved the main character; he was an inspiration to me.
½ June 9, 2015
A predictable French blend of Dead Poets Society and Mr. Holland's Opus that is nevertheless touching and poignant.
½ April 9, 2015
Beautiful singing. Lovely story
March 29, 2015
First and only movie ever to make me cry. Must see.
½ March 1, 2015
Being nominated for Academy award for Best foreign Language movie, I think it will be the mediocre one i have seen. There actually was not thrill in the movie. And we did not get to know many characters but only two.
½ January 4, 2015
Brilliant movie, The acting was Superb, the sets were great, and the movie was very well made. Better than I thought it would be, and the ending was awesome. Worth Watching!
January 2, 2015
I love this movie! Touch my soul
December 17, 2014
Such a great movie!!
December 6, 2014
One of the best films I've ever seen. More realistic than Mr Holland's Opus and in the same tradition as Au Revoir les enfants. For a directorial debut its a triumph!! A++
½ October 19, 2014
Clichéd but moving still.