Christina, princesse de l'érotisme (A Virgin Among the Living Dead) Reviews

• Nov 17, 2015

A masterpiece here capable of scaring you ,without silly exaggerations and tomato juice...Franco rules ! !

• Mar 15, 2014

I owned a horribly edited version of this film when I was younger and have always called this the worst film I have ever seen. The restored version is a much better movie. Especially since it provided good nude scenes instead of a woman with a hairy nipple. At the end of the day this is still a bad movie.

• Mar 11, 2014

I've seen a couple of different versions of this and if you are going to just get one, make sure it's the Redemption Blu-Ray copy with 3 different versions on it. The Zombie 4: A Virgin Among The Living Dead EDDE release is nearly unwatchable. Even after watching what is supposed to be the best version of this film, I am not that impressed.

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Jan 07, 2014

A beautiful young girl (a virgin? why not?) who has been raised in boarding school in England returns to her fathers' chateau in France after his death and is introduced to her bizarre (and horny) relatives. Sleazy and ridiculous, but it's rarely boring, and a few individual scenes (especially the ones with a hanged man) are actually creepy and effective.

• Nov 28, 2013

4 1/2 out of 5 (Directors Cut, Kino Lorber BD, French dub)

4 1/2 out of 5 (Directors Cut, Kino Lorber BD, French dub)

• Oct 17, 2013

Jess Franco does his best Jean Rollin impersonation and doesn't quite succeed, but it's worth watching if you're into this kind of thing.

• Jun 23, 2013

Very interesting movie about Christina who goes to the reading of her father's will, but ends up experiencing strange visions, and characters. After seeing this movie, I still don't know if she was driven crazy and ended up in an asylum, or she was crazy the whole time and imagined it,but to be honest i like the ambiguity. Also the various ghost of her father is really neat with the blood coming from his mouth, and a noose always tying him up to something. There are many different edits of this movie, and I have no idea which one I saw, but I did enjoy it.

• Oct 27, 2012

A girl loses her grip on reality after visiting apparently dead relatives at her dead father's home. The fact that this film was released under 3 different titles in the US, and 2 titles each in both France and Italy is telling.

• Sep 26, 2011

With Jess Franco, it is hit and miss. Some of his movies are good and some are terrible and he has so many. This one was ind of interesting, has a strange vibe to it that I liked and also, seemed comical to me either just because it's dated and the acting is terrible or the general weirdness of it just makes it funny. On the other hand, it wears thin and the crappy dialogue and poor acting pulls it down. Great music though.

• David L Super Reviewer
    Jun 14, 2011

To begin here I have to say this is a fun & atmospheric Jess Franco film that is interesting but as with all of his films its kinda strange as well. It opens very promisingly, with a great title sequence as Christina (the beautiful & often naked Christina von Blanc) drives up to her family home in British Honduras for the reading of her father's will, accompanied by Bruno Nicolai's inventive score with weird percussive effects leading into a propulsive rhythm & a seriously groovy bass-line. For a moment, you think that this may just be the film that the lurid cover art promises. But it then takes a more reflective turn, & instead operates as a neatly off-balancing & vaguely disconcerting atmospheric ghost story. It's sometimes hard to work out whether the film is a deliberately vague, surreal & arty dreamscape, or just plain inept. Personally, I lean towards the former, although many will find the film to be a maddeningly weird, obscure & nonsensical piece exercise in non-narrative. Certainly, the film has a surreal, hallucinatory, stream-of-consciousness feel, which is almost as though Franco is refusing to show what is actually happening, but instead showing bizarre frescos, visual representations of the physical world. Nothing is quite what it seems, & the borders of reality and sanity are unclear. It's not clear what's actually happening for much of the film, & even when it ended I have to say I'm still not sure quite what much of it actually meant. Crucially though, even if the actual meaning is unclear, the feelings & effects that the film has on the viewer remain fascinating, & disturbing. Franco really shows that he has a great eye for disquieting images, such as the Mass (or similar) being conducted whilst one girl is painting her toenails, & another smoking a cigarette, or the sudden splashes of red. There is also a rich vein of dark comedy running through the film, including the director's customary cameo as the strange, sleazy servant who speaks only in grunts, & snores all the way through the reading of the will. Whilst the film is reasonably entertaining for much of it's running time, it's not until the final 20 minutes that it really begins to come together, starting with a strange incident involving a huge black dildo mysteriously appearing in Christina's room. From there, it's entirely unclear how much is dream, how much real, & how much madness, & where all of the most memorable images appear as Christina is plagues by the recurrent dreams of her hanged father, & by visions of The Queen of Darkness, a strange woman dressed in black. One scene with her in particular carries a strangely devastating emotional impact that the rest of the film has not prepared you for. Like many Franco films (particularly of this period), it has a downbeat & fatalistic conclusion. Perhaps the film's biggest achievement is in its amazing utilization of sound & music. During this time, it almost seems as though there was a competition going on between the Italian composers to see who could produce the most inventive music, & Nicolai wrote an amazing score for this film. There's some amazing writing for percussion, with all kinds of weird effects echoing around during the more creepy moments, building into driving rhythms at other times. He does a neat line in groovy bass lines that propel the film on during key scenes, whilst the most memorable music is the gorgeous vocal lines associated with The Queen of Darkness. If this isn't actually Morricone's favoured collaborator Edda Dell'Orso singing, then the vocalist does an impressive approximation. But more than just the score, the sound effects are used quite brilliantly too, to off-balancing effect that can't let you relax. Sometimes the sounds play against the actually images, seemingly unrelated to what's onscreen. Other times, they're grossly exaggerated with weird echoing voices calling, & insects buzzing filling the soundscape. As ever with Franco, there are caveats. The pacing does start to drag slightly in the first hour, the zoom lens is over-used, & the acting is "interesting". But if you've got a taste for these kinds of films, then you'll have taken that as a given. Virgin Among the Living Dead is worth checking out for EuroShock fans. It's a strange & surreal little film that doesn't make too much conventional sense but does linger in the memory.