Christmas Carol - The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Christmas Carol - The Movie Reviews

½ December 10, 2009
This version was horrible! It seemed like the main characters were the mice, who have absolutely nothing to do with the story or the message the movie has to offer.
½ December 5, 2009
I didn't think that it was that bad. I actually found it quite entertaining.
½ December 5, 2009
One of the worst adaptations I've ever seen. The animation is very, very poor. It looks outdated, and is hardly fluent. The story is changed around for some inexplicable reason. No emotion at all, Scrooge isn't likable at any point and for once I couldn't care if Tiny Tim died or not. The live action moments of "Dickens" didn't really have a point, and some of the vocal casting was simply bizarre (Nicolas Cage as Jacob Marley). The two mice whether CGI or traditionally animated are such a huge distraction. Why is Scrooge so nice to mice? It almost destroys the character. We're not supposed to see the good in him until the Ghosts intervene. Oh well! They can't all be classics.
Liloh
November 27, 2009
GAAWWWDD totally forgot this Movie. THANK YOU NAWIA AND WILL! I actually dont like Musicals singing thingy in Movies. WO ages since I have seen this one.
September 30, 2009
Not bad. But they could've made it much better. The upcoming film might be the best one.
½ May 15, 2009
The attempts at expanding the story and Scrooge's relationship with Belle, as well as the animation, is admirable and props to them for including elements of the story most adaptations miss out, but this version just ends up being forgettable.
shesdownbytheriver
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
March 12, 2009
simon callow? what?!?
February 15, 2009
probably is a good movie even though it's for kids.
January 29, 2009
December 25, 2008
the same..like other christmas movies :)
December 25, 2008
nice but with barbie is better:X
December 24, 2008
This film (to me) is one of the best adaptations of the Charles Dickens classic I had ever seen; of course the version from 1951 starring Alastair Sims is a version my family loves (and I loved too - both versions are excellent). I was shocked and surprised by the negativity I had heard on the web (as I said many,many times); I had watched this version and quite frankly I found it AWESOME!

This animated adaptation retains the essence of the timeless tale while introducing some interpretations. A celebrity cast provides voice for the roles of Scrooge (Simon Callow), Marley (Nicolas Cage) and Belle (Titanc's Kate Winslet), yet the beauty of the film flows from its artistic usage of CGI technology, such as the "painted" scenery in the flying scene with Scrooge and The Ghost of Christmas Present (Harry Potter's Michael Gambon). Of course Belle plays a BIG role in this version. We would see them as kids (her and Ebenezer), and she was also friends with Ebenezer's beloved sister Fan; and we also heard that her (Belle's) dad worked as coachman, and both father and daughter lived in the coach-house. And now years later, after their heated break-up, and working at the Alms Hospital for the Poor, she never forgot about him (Ebbie); and after Dr. Lambert was send to debtor's prison, she wrote a letter for help and took it Ebenezer's firm office, and HOPING he would remember her and wouldn't forsake her again and come to help (if he gets the letter).

I don't favorite a scene, because I love the WHOLE film, and I would like to say that the voice-casting for the film is top-notch.
½ December 23, 2008
An impressive voice cast in Dicken's best loved Christmas tale - what could go wrong! Well first of all the animation is amateurish and antiquated - giving it the feel of a 1980's bargain bin effort - and the story additions (particularly the mice) have no positive impact. All this succeeds in doing is make you wonder what Disney or Dreamworks could have done!
December 21, 2008
Compared to other animated adaptations of the story, this was a pretty decent adaptation. A different take, starting with the boston mouse who all of a sudden came back to Dicken's London. The Emphasized handcraft look of the animation and the music was breathtaking. I'm just amazed that they had the fourtne of casting Nicolas Cageand Kate Winslet in such a small little movie.
December 5, 2008
The emphasized handcrafted look of the animation and the music were breathtaking. The three spirits were also terrific, especially the Ghost of Christmas Past with her shifting in and out of old age.
½ July 16, 2008
lol i watched it on tv..i hated it xD
½ December 24, 2007
Rubbish animation and an extra unnecessary layer of sentimentality ruin a fine tale in this cheap attempt to cash in on the popularity of a much loved classic.
December 22, 2007
Not the best animated Scrooge. Neither is it faithful, but I guess it keeps the kids entertained.
December 9, 2007
It's difficult to make it through this movie without choking on your own vomit, to be honest. The shoddy animation doesn't help, as it makes this look like a decades-old video you'd find in Morrisons's 99p bin. Still, it's better than the abysmal screenplay, which spends about a third of its length on superfluous extras like Belle's present day problems, stuff about Scrooge's dad, and plenty of charmless fannying around with - choke - TWO ANTHROPOMORPHIC MICE. These bizarre additions eat up screen time at the expense of elements you'd think would be quite important, like Dickens's dialogue and key chunks of his plot - the movie buggers up the game of twenty questions, for example, and at times fails to put scenes in the right order. Absolutely hopeless.