Christmas on Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Christmas on Mars Reviews

½ December 25, 2012
I make films for fun, so can appreciate when my favourite band on the planet makes a film that it won't be the best thing they do. However, Christmas on Mars surpasses that, and very much captures the essence of the band, great message, honest endeavour, innovation, and a home made ego free charm. What this lacks is broader than fan base appeal, and I'm talking about fans that copied Mushroom tapes to tape..., tried to dye their hair orange with tangerine peel and have a stock of fake blood, just in case. Saddos, like me. 679 people have rated this film to date, and to those people I can say, I can make a better film technically, but this is not about technique, its about the Flaming Lips and the fact that they don't know when to stop, god bless 'em.
December 23, 2011
Wayne Coyne, the front man and leader of the alternative rock group The Flaming Lips, directs and stars (along with his fellow bandmates and other friends) in this experimental, sci-fi/fantasy, 50s Sc-Fi Homage, semi-Christmas tale. On Christmas Eve on a base on Mars, many of the Crew are starting to lose their grasp on reality...as equipment is failing and the first baby on Mars is on the verge of being born...its a stressful time when the Alien Super Being arrives to help things just a little. It is an interesting movie, sometimes it is better than other times...but if you are a fan of the band or experimental stuff like David Lynch, you may find something charming about this DIY movie made over the course of 8 years.
Mr Awesome
½ November 9, 2011
This could've used some editing. And some acting. There are some great (budget) visuals, and disturbing, creepy atmosphere, but nothing else worth mentioning. It's the type of film one should watch high in order to enjoy it to it's fullest. Unfortunately, I was stone sober and this movie was pretty much a challenge to sit through.
½ November 9, 2011
September 16, 2011
I love The Flaming Lips, but I was not expecting this to work for me at all. Pleasantly surprisingly, it mostly did. A surreal slice-of-life-on-Mars with an appropriately nebulous plot, cool monochrome cinematography, and actually rather perfect pacing. Its amateur deliveries and ragtag production values and underdeveloped philosophical ambitions and explicit old-school psychedelia may not endear everyone, but there's some genuinely decent psychological science-fiction in here. I think fans of Dark Star should enjoy this also?
July 29, 2011
Although it's certainly lacking the warmth and friendliness of their music there's still a lot to like about this film. Made entirely in Wayne Coyne's backyard with the help of some good friends it is a rather spectacular sight to behold. This seems to open up the darker, more philosophical side of Mr. Coyne and his lips, and it's a very enjoyable, if sometimes unsettling, vision indeed.
November 19, 2010
Ayer fue el mi tercer intento por terminarla y lleguĆ (C) casi a la media hora. Juro que si vienen con Lolapalooza me la memorizo.

Ideal para: Inception no es la realizaciĆ³n de sus sueƱos.
October 1, 2010
There aren't enough drugs in the world to make me think this a good movie.
½ July 1, 2010
I freakin' love the Flaming Lips. I didn't really love this though.

I get the impression that with a lot of the Lips later (and better) era music, that Wayne mostly provides the artistic vision and wackiness and it's actually Steven Drozd who is mostly responsible for the masterful compositions. I felt that's what this film needed too. It's so full of brilliant and surreal ideas, but the execution is so amateurish that I just wish a more experienced director/scriptwriter had taken a bit of control off our main man Wayne. Some of the dialogue really is that bad that it becomes painful to watch. Characters repeat the same lines over again, all the freaking time with over-exaggerated pauses that may have worked to heighten the surreal atmosphere in a David Lynch movie, but here it just gets irritating.

The first section of the film especially has a lot of attempts to make poignant statements about our place in the universe ("He's contemplating the cosmic reality. It's a real motherfucker!") that fail to resonate. It's the kind of stuff that would seem brilliant in one their songs, but doesn't translate to the script.

I loved the trippy ocassional use of hyper-colour and ominous sound (the shots of inside the contraptions where the crew would put their hands were awesome), and I'm really happy that I finally got to see the finished product ... I just think it could have been a lot more. Sure, we've been told that it's basically just a home movie, but even just improving the script could have made it something much more.

NOTE: I did watch this with a bunch of friends who were fairly cynical. Perhaps a solo viewing will give me a different perspective.
June 26, 2010
Drugs, hallucinations, LSD, tripping in a dark and strange christmas movie from the music group The Flaming Lips.
½ June 5, 2010
haha, oh the Flaming Lips, we love you.
March 26, 2010
very stanley kubrick
January 30, 2010
I guess it was supposed to be a cool independent film, about living on mars; and I thought from hearing about it on TV, that it was going to be a serious drama.....
but it just tried to turn itself into a funny off-beat comedy with some stupid-ass sub plot about some totally fake looking martian; and a full metal jacket type military guy yelling at him for wanting to dress up like Santa Clause? or something? Yeah, it just missed what it what trying to accomplish, I guess.
January 24, 2010
Gotta see it. Low budget with big stars and a heaping helping of acid-trippy goodness. Wayne Coyne is very believable as an alien (no stretch there). Oh yeah, the alien monsters are very NSFW, not for sensitive audiences.
½ December 29, 2009
?!?/1?!?/1?!?!/?!?1//??!?!?1?!?!?1/!//!/!/1???
½ December 28, 2009
Hints of David Lynch, Guy Maddin, Duncan Jones's "Moon," and "The American Astronaut," but not with the same level of success or enjoyment. Despite the low budget, they do create a feeling of being in outer space on a rundown space station. Steven Drozd's heroin-darkened eyes are difficult to look at, though they actually fit this exhausted, hallucinating character. Too bad he's not a strong actor. Fred Armisen and Adam Goldberg briefly show up. The Flaming Lips' soundtrack is nothing special. Wayne Coyne is a bit full of himself--why else make a movie?--and that shines through in his performance as a mute-alien-Santa-saviour.
½ December 17, 2009
This is my new favorite holiday movie. It was a combination of "the greatest story ever told" and "2001".

Strange but amazing!
October 14, 2009
I love the Lips, but this is terrible. Sooooooooo slow and ponderous, with a surprising lack of levity. The profane captain is worth a few laughs, but that's about it.
½ October 3, 2009
Well-shot with a lot of great ideas and surreal manifestations that you'd expect from the Flaming Lips. (David Lynch's Eraserhead and Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man would be it's closest relatives.) Also as Ronnie mentioned, it has a real ramshackle charm to it that makes the proceedings go down easier. But sadly, it drags for most of it's running time and some of the performances are overly amateurish. Still worth a look though, if nothing else for the wonderful black and white photography (with orgasmic bursts of color, of course) and the truly eerie soundtrack.