Christmas on Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Christmas on Mars Reviews

September 22, 2009
I know it's not a regular film, that it's amateur project by musicians (The Flaming Lips) and their friends. I just couldn't finisih it, knowing it's highly 'unprofessional' of me. Rather watch The American Astronaut, a developed "child" of guys from The Billy Nayer Show, really.
September 4, 2009
It's good to see a movie that doesn't allow its creativity to be weighed down by its obvious financial limitations, but sadly it is marred by cliches and overacting to the point that it's almost embarrassing. Granted, it's got an interesting premise and it is just plain fun to travel the imaginative sets since it's almost like watching a bunch of kids making a pillow fort or a tree house. And there are indeed a few genuinely funny random moments tossed in for good measure. But even cameos by Adam Goldberg & Fred Armisen don't generate enough anti-G to float the dramatic ineptitude of the other players since the timing was all off. And since the story works almost solely on a theoretical level without the grandeur or eye for beauty that make other like-minded films so great, the experience is generally one of annoyance since the entire idea of science fiction relies on a certain suspension of belief through vivid and convincing imaginary worlds, something that this doesn't really do. Love the neo-psychedelian rock, hate the filmmaking.
July 19, 2009
Not surprisingly, the soundtrack (not rock, but ambient) is the best part of the Flaming Lips movie (even with the occasional mickey-mousing). Otherwise, low budget, amateur acting, sluggish pace, obscure plotline, but also some striking imagery, cool weird moments, allusions to 2001, Solaris, Eraserhead.
½ July 8, 2009
...the best film Andy Warhol never made...
June 12, 2009
The inventiveness and earnestness obliterate any of the (numerous) flaws and I will always go to bat for any movie made by bros in their backyard.
½ June 10, 2009
Not a perfect movie, but it was perfect for me. I'm actually had little experience with the flaming lips or their music (though I like what little I've heard), but even of it's own accord I found this movie incredibly entertaining. A unique mixture of avant garde & psychedelic sensibilities with classic sci-fi B movie camp.
May 18, 2009
It really has that cheesy 50s-60s sci-fi film feel, with all the purposefully cheap sets, and (possibly purposeful) bad acting. You also have that snail's pace that is common of the sub-genre, but within the slow movement you actually have some serious mood being built. The film is shrouded in a heavy, creepy, and dreamlike feel that really sucks you in.
It's no Kubrick, but it's still one heck of an experiment.
April 24, 2009
Codral wasn't a strong enough drug to make me appreciate it properly.
April 24, 2009
I'm not quite sure what I saw, or it was too obvious. I would have liked to see a bit more technicolor shots. And what happened to the White Christmas cover that was put out as a promo song for this?? Very different than what I was expecting from the early screen shots, etc. Will watch again eventually. The sound effects and music was simply wonderful.
April 19, 2009
tries to be 'american astronaut' and fails. too bad.
April 19, 2009
The Flaming Lips make a sci fi movie. pretty good...pretty lips'esque. would only recommend for fans of the band or pretty serious "midnight movie" type fans.
½ April 12, 2009
Really, really strange and kinda pretentious in vein of Eraserhead
April 10, 2009
I've been waiting for this film for over two years and, yep, it was worth the wait. Best Christmas film ever?
April 10, 2009
2001 Space Odyssey meets Eraserhead meets The Flaming Lips. Vibrant scenes and there definitely was a plot! I thought it was a really enjoyable movie and I was entertained throughout.
½ April 8, 2009
I disagree with what most people wrote on here, the plot was quit simple and obvious. Maybe so much so that it appears obscure or pointless. And I don't think there is a lot of immaturity in the production, alot of the shots, exposures, and scenes are very rich in mood and ambience. As for the soundtrack, it works, its not a music video, it is a movie. Most people that pick this up are probably expeting something different.
It is an odd ball film though, the halucinatons are quit disturbed and this makes my top 5 f*ed up movie list along with "Holy Mountain" "Rubber's Lover" and "Videodrome." Ahh, but there is something sincere here, going on in the actors and shots, very full of fear which is the toughest emotion to sell, not like their candy music, very surprising.
Anyway, go check this out because you don't deserve the illusions.
½ April 4, 2009
While masters of the world of music, The Flaming Lips don't seem to have the same grasp on entertainment through film. The story moves at a sluggish pace and often I wasn't even sure what the story was. I'm still not actually. Could work very well if cut down to a 10 to 20 minute long short film because it has some great visual moments. But if you want entertainment, I recommend just watching their "Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" music video instead.
April 4, 2009
Who the hell did Elijah Wood play? Is that a typo?? I love The Flaming Lips but I'm sorry guys...where's the plot? I'm serious, there is actually no plot. Some stuff happens (I guess) and some people are going crazy. The dialogue is downright painful at times, and they only use like three of the songs from the soundtrack, and loop them over and over again. Pick this one up, but only because it comes with the soundtrack on cd. Or is it vice versa? One more thing...what is with all those vaginas???
March 29, 2009
Not sure why I didn't review this earlier, being that I bought on it's realease date, but anyway I digress. This is quite possibly the weirdest movie ever made. I love the Lips. The are tied with The Beatles for most played artist in my iTunes library, but this can still be a bit much. The plotline and the symbolism is very hard to catch the first time through. Unfortunately going through a second time can seem ridiculous or painful to some people. Do yourself a favor WATCH IT IN 5.1 SURROUND! I originally saw it in stereo then watched it at a friend's place in 5.1 last night. Needless to say, all of the scoring and soundeffects and even some of the visuals gain an all new purpose.
½ March 27, 2009
A bit amateur-ish. You could tell Coyne thought it was really funny to litter a bunch of F-bombs throughout the film with the intent of gaining some Tarantino/P.T. Anderson-like cred. It just doesn't play that well. But that's the danger of casting all of your buddies and relatives from Oklahoma.

Anyways, I have to give major props to Coyne for putting as much Vag in the film as he did. I mean, what would a pretentious art film be without a few yonic symbols? Just a regular art film. Coyne hits a home run on this. I also loved the thrifty set design--courtesy of Home Depot.
March 15, 2009
Difficult to watch when you're constantly shooing toddlers out of the room so they don't see the giant vaginas.

Also, is Elijah Wood in this or not? I didn't see him...