Chronicle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronicle Reviews

July 10, 2017
Chronicle takes the found footage technique & uses it beautifully in the teenage melodrama/superhero worlds, opening with a heart-wrenching moment between the main character & his dad banging on his door. Through found sudden superpowers, we have some blatant parallels to puberty that work, & the teenage philosophizing is great for the characters. The effects are crisp, & the final battle is full of pathos & excitement. Trank's later meltdown is a shame...would so love to get more from this universe.
June 27, 2017
TV version. It was okay.
June 25, 2017
Led by an Oscar-worthy performance from Dane DeHaan, it's hard to believe Chronicle was Josh Trank's directorial debut. The found footage style is used to near-perfection, and the film as a whole is so good that I forgive Trank for making 2015's Fant4stic. The character-driven story is thrilling and engaging, and the final battle is heart-pounding and flawless. While the film could be better, it's honestly so good that it doesn't matter.
June 14, 2017
This movie was AWESOME!!
½ June 9, 2017
One of the most surprising films in a while, Chronicle utilises the found footage style format and the amazing performances from the 3 leads to create a brilliantly entertaining film with a conclusion that had me on the edge of my seat.
June 2, 2017
This movie felt like a fresh new spin on a topic that is not executed to the highest extent in most cases. The camera angles and filmography were excellent, and the acting was excellent the whole way through. In the beginning, it felt a little bit like satire but it got serious pretty quick. The green/blue screen effects fell a little short sometimes, but these shortcomings did not distract from the overall plot of the movie. The change in tone three quarters in the way in felt a little rushed in my opinion and it could've been fixed if the director would've let the movie run just a tad bit longer.
My final verdict is; that the movie plot and camera work was excellent and original, it felt a little cliche at times but it made up for it with some great scenes.
½ May 31, 2017
A dark, winding tale that depresses its viewers rather than entertaining them. Chronicle has good ideas, but utilizes them poorly.
May 28, 2017
First two acts are amazing but it's kinda lost me in the third. Good performances though, mainly from Dane DeHaan and Michael B. Jordan.
May 20, 2017
Very good graphics and amazing actors, I couldn't predict the storyline and it was exciting from the start to the end.
½ May 2, 2017
Ok. Not as good as Cloverfield though. Also, horrible effects for the movie. But still fine.
April 28, 2017
Really great movie, really liked the character development and story-line. If you're liked me and love the original twilight zone series, you'll like this movie.
April 24, 2017
Chronicle is one of the best found footage movies there is, and would propably make for one of the best super-hero movies if it wasn't FF. But what these movies always seem to forget, is that at some point the FF format stops making sense, and that can be really, REALLY offputting.
April 12, 2017
Great movie, one of the few films that tries to expand on the idea of psychic powers and their applications.
½ March 29, 2017
Chronicle takes the found footage genre and revitalize it and takes it to another level.
March 26, 2017
Chronicle is a really good movie
½ March 25, 2017
4.5/5. One of the best found footage films of all time and a fantastic super hero film.
March 24, 2017
For those looking for a thrill!
½ March 20, 2017
Trank is clearly more comfortable with the dark turn in the second half, and consequently the third act turns out pretty cool. Which is not to say it begins terribly, but there is a lot of awkwardness in the acting there, with playing to visible cameras, with people in their mid-twenties playing high-schoolers, and particularly playing the "Holy shit, broooo!" moments to thin air. Some really effective sequences though, and the effects are good even if they're already starting to show their age.
March 17, 2017
Absolutely loved this movie!!!
March 5, 2017
Very cool movie that basically is a super hero origin story.. awesome special effects...and great actors...