Chronicle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronicle Reviews

March 26, 2017
Chronicle is a really good movie
½ March 25, 2017
4.5/5. One of the best found footage films of all time and a fantastic super hero film.
March 24, 2017
For those looking for a thrill!
½ March 20, 2017
Trank is clearly more comfortable with the dark turn in the second half, and consequently the third act turns out pretty cool. Which is not to say it begins terribly, but there is a lot of awkwardness in the acting there, with playing to visible cameras, with people in their mid-twenties playing high-schoolers, and particularly playing the "Holy shit, broooo!" moments to thin air. Some really effective sequences though, and the effects are good even if they're already starting to show their age.
March 17, 2017
Absolutely loved this movie!!!
March 5, 2017
Very cool movie that basically is a super hero origin story.. awesome special effects...and great actors...
½ February 27, 2017
The found footage movie is very polarizing to say the least. Most of us can't even watch our old home movies without vomiting from dizziness, let alone sit through an hour and a half long movie with the same visual style. For me, Josh Trank perfectly executed not only the cinematography, but the intimacy that it evokes with regards to the characters in Chronicle. If only he could've done the same with his Fantastic Four movie...and also not choked Miles Teller.

I'll break this movie down into three parts.
ACTING/CAST - Effing perfect. Michael B. Jordan (before we all realized that this dude an absolute savage when it comes to his talent) steals every scene he is in, and his chemistry with Dane Dehaan and Alex Russell reminded me of the kids at my high school when they weren't shoving me into a locker. It's clear that Trank understands the dynamic that adolescents have with one another, and Max Landis knows how to write for them as well.

STORY/PLOT - With such a short runtime, things come at you fast. The creative ways that Landis and Trank find to involve the camera in everyday situations is incredibly clever and allows you to fully immerse yourself in the story. We are introduced to these characters and quickly shown their motivations and set off on their arcs. The finale/climax is earned, and honestly I'm not sure how Trank was able to pull off what he did with what I'm assuming is not a tentpole budget.

REWATCHABILITY - Don't get me wrong, what Trank was able to pull off here needs to be commended. He created strong relationships between the audience and his characters, but because or how morose everything in this movie is I'm unable to revisit it very often. I'm not saying at all that a movie has to be full of fairies and ponies for me to give it strong marks here, but when the main character is getting abused mentally and physically by his father in a third of his scenes, it's not exactly something I get jacked up to throw in the Blu Ray player.

All in all, on it's five year anniversary of release, I view Chronicle as a genre film that has aged well like Diane Lane or Hellen Mirren. I commend Josh Trank for doing something unique and taking a chance with this film. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go out into the woods and search for an alien artifact so I can get the badass powers displayed in this film.
½ February 26, 2017
amazing movie. awesome story, interesting premise, great action, very funny, and a very deep psychological aspect to it. beastly directing. by far the best "found footage" movie imo. they used it in so many creative ways. and they kept true to it. when a camera was far you couldn't hear the words they were saying, just their voices. or the security footage having no sound. it was so impactful and made it feel real. (3 viewings)

SPOILERS

i loved the way they expanded on the original premise. how they could eventually fly, and put a forcefield around themselves. i loved how in the beginning they were learning it, practicing, messing with people, etc. i also liked that the nerdy kid that everyone picks on is not the good guy but the villain. it makes you think that after all the psychological damage that he went through, when he finally had the power to do something about it, he used it for revenge, etc instead of good. as a smart uncle once said, with great power comes great responsibility.
February 17, 2017
Despite the ratings, I think this is a clichée movie. There are way too many of these.
February 11, 2017
I'm gonna start this out by saying that Chronicle is one of my favorite movies of all time. It put the perfect twist on found footage films and shined a bright light on what can only be explained as what would be more than likely to happen if a person, let a lone a teenager or group of teenagers somehow gained superpowers. They would be confused and hidden with their abilities, and as their powers grew, there would be a massive chance that one of the people would begin to become power drunk and use their abilities to hurt innocent people. This movie is what put Dane DeHaan on the map for me as a good actor along with Micheal B. Jordan. In my personal opinion there is absolutely no flaws in this film and I consider it to be a masterpiece in the history of film making. Now what I would really like to see is director Josh Trank and writer Max Landis to get back to work together to make Chronicle 2 simply because I feel like a not specifically found footage film about Matt's struggle with keeping his life together while trying to find ways to use his power for good would be a just as equally mind blowing film as Chronicle is.
February 4, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks this is a masterpiece?
January 19, 2017
A peace of art. Camera is sensational, story is awsome. Everything from the begining to the end is perfect.
½ January 12, 2017
Nota: 7.5/10 - 3.7/5
January 3, 2017
Absolutely impressed. This movie is amazing because it displays the events that go on in the heads of every high school dude on earth who wishes he had powers. This is what we would do with them.
December 30, 2016
(5: Loved It, 4: Really Liked It, 3: Liked It, 2: Didn't Like It, and 1: Hated It.)
December 26, 2016
It has a strong theme about child abuse. But also has good performances and great visuals, and Josh Trank the producer of "Big Fan" has made a good found-footage film.
½ December 9, 2016
I need to watch this again but i remember it being great.
December 6, 2016
A highly successful employment of the found footage trope, Chronicle eases you into the fantastical plot with extremely realistic characters.
½ December 4, 2016
A dark and fantastically written super villain origin story.

Three high school students make an incredible discovery, leading to their developing uncanny powers beyond their understanding. As they learn to control their abilities and use them to their advantage, their lives start to spin out of control, and their darker sides begin to take over.

Josh Trank deserves a lot of praise for creating one of the best stories in the found footage genre, and one that will be memorable for years to come. The story here was so simple yet so perfectly executed, with so many simple moments that made for big moments. The story was lighthearted and fun, but it was completely dark and tragic at the same time. Very few movies can pull off a blend of that caliber and it should be recognized here.

The actors were my favorite part about this movie, bringing the script to life and making certain parts stand out even more. You can't teach chemistry and naturalism to actors, it's just something that has to come. Dane DeHaan was great as the lead, bringing this dark and intense emotion that accompanied a relatable character. Alex Russell was great as the guy who kind of kept things under control, and Michael B. Jordan was a fun and exhilarating supporting role. Everyone here had and still has bright futures in acting, and it was great to see them here.

The visuals were okay for the most part. In a movie with this low of a budget, I understand why some aspects were really limited visually. However, that doesn't stray from the fact that the ideas and concepts were all there, and the film would've been lost without some of them.

Like I said earlier, this is one of the best found footage movies I've ever seen. Actually, it's one of my favorites. It's so well done and it feels like a real found footage movie. They stray from soundtracks and other implausible found footage tropes that often ruin the gimmick, and this movie does a great job.

In the end, "Chronicle" is a fantastic found footage horror film and should last through the decades.
December 3, 2016
A found-footage film yet not a part of the horror genre, Chronicle separates itself with amazing camera techniques and a compelling story throughout. Centered around three high school boys who gain telekinesis abilities, this film turns into a villain origin story as we see these characters grow darker and progress from kids having fun to dangerous individuals who are not bound by science and don't answer to anyone. The fact that the film doesn't have a soundtrack and contrasts so much from beginning compared to end, plus seeing Michael B. Jordan shine in one of his first major roles makes Chronicle so interesting to watch.