Chronicles of an Exorcism - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronicles of an Exorcism Reviews

½ April 28, 2012
this movie absolutely sucked out loud, worst acting ever!!!
½ March 10, 2012
The second worst exorcism film I have ever seen--see previous review of Anneliese--Chronicles of an Exorcism is a badly acted and stereotypical demon possession film that never really manages to provide any scares or offer anything new to the genre.
October 17, 2010
Very bad. Poor acting, dialogue not fleshed out properly, and constant unnecessary bickering amongst people that should be working together. Oh yeah- and for some reason amateur film maker = style of an 8 yr old running around with a home camera, shakiness and all. Pastor Bill was the only redeemable actor in this. Don't get me started on how ignorant/frustrating the film maker Lee is- what a dope.

To top it off, the ending is cliche'd as hell. I've watched 3 documentary style movies in 3 days now that all have the SAME ENDING: Paranormal Activity, Exorcist Chronicles and this... wtf?!
½ April 9, 2010
Problem here is not the mockumentary feel, is everything, from "acting" to visual effects. No tension, no scares, no nothing but boredom
October 7, 2009
it was very,,horrorific movie ever!!!!!!!!!
February 3, 2009
Saw this on Netflix instant watch, just after I watched similar film "The Exorcist Chronicles".

This is decent for a found footage horror film, though the best scare (the cornfields one) becomes the worst scare when the cut uses it fives times instead of just once. I can't rate this film too highly because I hate found footage horror and I'm not into the exorcism subgenre. If you are into both of those horror subgenres, this may be a guilty pleasure gem for you.

Our priests start out and stay pretty damn believable, but the possessed girl totally ruins the movie with poor acting, though she looks the part in medium shots, and the cameramen aren't performing to acting task either. I do like that the film references actual demons but I've no idea if the specifics are correct (I can recognize names and know some basic facts but I'm far from a demonologist). One big (maybe) error is that the possessed's local priest is Methodist and the consulted exorcists are obviously Catholic; I'm not sure this sort of cross-organizational cooperation occurs as I'd think the Catholic church wouldn't send representatives to care for a non-Catholic.

Besides the possessed girl being acted weakly, the possessed afflictions are stereotypical in terms of film language (stigmata, flashing lights, warped voice, creepy contact lenses, urination, Tourette's style cursing, "tempting" a priest). I admit that the creepy contact lens is indeed creepy when at the end one character has one eye creepy and the other normal. But with both in, it quickly becomes too normal to scare with.

This film is marginally better than incredibly similar film The Exorcist Chronicles.
½ January 6, 2009
Can't blame someone for trying to make something i suppose, if this movie didn't cost much to make, most of the budget went to renting a camera, a small farm house and a pair of spooky contact lenses. Not scary in the least.
December 17, 2008
Make no mistake....this is a bad movie. However, it is pretty entertaining, and has a really awesome backstory.

The story is nothing we haven't seen before. Priests perform an exorcism on a spirit that doesn't want to go. Amateur filmmakers are asked to document things.

It has a cool POV feel to it, but it is just so low quality, and the acting is horrendous. Which is unfortunate because there is a really great story to be had.

The cornfield sequence was very well done and the low quality worked to its benefit. So I give props to that.
½ November 24, 2008
This is either really bad or really good. As I'm sure this is pure fake, I'll have to say, the acting sucks. Hardcore. Not scary for a second.
½ October 18, 2008
Low budget horror movie (Shot in 3 days for only a few thousand dollars) in the style of Blair Witch, about two young filmmakers that catch an in-progress Exorcism.

Knowing how low of a budget this movie had, I was really surprised with the end product. Sure, the acting is the very definition of the word 'horrible' and took me out of the movie at times, and for the subject matter, I felt the movie ran a bit too long - they could have cut 15-20 minutes EASY, and some of the scripted dialog was pretty bad.

But the effects were decent for the budget, there was quite a few genuine creepy moments that sent a few chills down my back, and the most surprising thing about it is that it actually had a really interesting back story behind the events happening, that most movies of this kind don't bother to have.

All in all, far from perfect, but really damn good for the budget it had, and FAR above my expectations. If you can get past what is quite possibly the worst acting I have ever seen, and you're a fan of these kinds of movies, then I think you'll really enjoy yourself.
½ October 16, 2008
this movie is to long for crap it suck
September 2, 2008
What is up with all these new documentary style indie shot on DV horror flicks. Vampires, zombies, ghosts, and now the exorcist. I guess we'll see a werewolf one soon enough, huh?
July 20, 2008