The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Reviews

November 3, 2017
Not as I expected I was hoping for action and fighting but I feel like this was a slow movie and not a good one. I think the first two movies were better
½ October 17, 2017
The latest Narnia installment is an imperfect, but affecting journey for the film-goer. The movie remains faithful enough to the book to remain dear to fans, but is different as it needs to be to be told in a 2-hour cinematic form. At times profoundly impactful and deeply moving, this will be time well spent this holiday season.
½ August 30, 2017
Disappointing. Why change things in the book that were perfect to begin with (green mist)?
½ July 24, 2017
Slowing down and trading its large scale battles for adventures at sea, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is not a perfect sendoff for the franchise, but its certainly a dazzling one.
½ July 23, 2017
Great ending to the pevensies adventures in Narnia
June 25, 2017
An extremely disappointing and poorly made end to the Narnia series. I am a major fan of the genre of fantasy. I love Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, and I really enjoy the Harry Potter films as well. When the first Narnia film came out, I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed it. It may not have been as epic or character driven as Lord of the Rings, but it contained many great battles and great visual effects on top of a good story. I also enjoyed the sequel, Prince Caspian, a lot, so I was quite excited to see what was next. Sadly, this third chapter was lacking in a compelling story, boring, and without two of the four main characters from the previous films. Overall, Dawn Treader was a sub par film, and a big disappointment.
D
June 1, 2017
It was fun and stuck closly to the book with some intresting changes but was not as good as the previous movies do to less convincing acting and anoying sailors.
½ May 31, 2017
Too many changes from the source material and a lack of wonder and excitement make Dawn Treader a tedious sit-through instead of a pleasant fantasy.
May 8, 2017
This was not my favorite movie
April 16, 2017
On its own terms, this would be a routine fantasy adventure film. As an adaptation of C S Lewis's book it is a travesty, the only redeeming feature being the portrayal of Eustace, who is recognisably the same person as in the book, particularly in some of his scenes with Reepicheep. Although most of the elements of the book's plot are vaguely present albeit mostly in the wrong order, they are distorted almost beyond recognition in order to up the quotient of action and opportunities for CGI. In the process all the Christian symbolism of the book is lost and transmuted into bland new age messages, and even more unforgivably, numerous loose ends and inconsistencies not present in the original are introduced into the story. When I watched Prince Caspian a few weeks ago, I thought it was pretty far from the original, but compared with this misconceived recasting of the most episodic of the seven Narnian books into a computer game-like quest Prince Caspian was a model of fidelity. Very disappointing.
April 11, 2017
I enjoyed this film a lot:)
April 1, 2017
This seems interesting
½ January 31, 2017
So bad I wish the author kept the 2 older siblings it had a dumb plot
½ January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 25, 2017
The best of the lot - probably because Peter isn't in it - oh and the paedo goat man!
½ January 15, 2017
It's remarkable that the script to this second sequel to a slowly strengthening series based on beloved stories has suddenly dropped in competence to a cheesy trip of disconnected ideas. Even with great production values providing some moments of emotional power, this series is now adrift, calling for help.
January 12, 2017
Well done series entry / finale with this cast. Yet another worthy sequel... On Blu-Ray.
November 30, 2016
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader does look good, Eustace and Reepicheep are very well utilized and some scenes are moving and great, but this is mostly a very disappointing and weak adaptation that is more likely to please those not familiar with the source material, but to me it was such a problematic adaptation of a great novel with a poor focus, very badly interpreted message and a tendency to focus more on action instead of adventure. It is okay as it has its moments, but it is never as magical as it should have been.
½ November 15, 2016
This could have been so much better than what it turned out to be, and am still wondering what the heck went wrong! Example: why in Gods name is Tilda Swindon as the white witch still in this!? Aslan killed her in the first movie, keep her out of here! And why is the island where dreams come true combined with the sea monster? Why not keep those things separate!?
The only saving grace to earn from this film was the young actor who played Lucy and Edmund's cousin Eustace. That was good. But the rest of the film felt like a wasted opportunity!
November 12, 2016
With a slow and kind of boring start the third installment to C.S Lewis Narnia series is interesting. You will find many biblical references in the movie such as parting of the Red Sea, "Aslans land" is a reference to heaven. The voyage of the Dawn treader is the most symbolic of the three. Although the start may have been slow the ending is truly heartwarming and makes up for the sluggish start.