The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Reviews

September 13, 2016
Despite its "pirates of the Caribbean ESC"
Feel this movie falls a bit short. But it's not awful.
August 8, 2016
Follows the book mostly well, but something lacking to make it great.
½ July 17, 2016
In three steps we went from the amazing "Lion, the Witch,and the Wardrobe" to... this.
½ June 28, 2016
Well, it was better than the second and brought the emotion to highs and lows. Overall, not a bad film, something to be proud of, but nowhere near the power that the book contains. This was my favorite story and the scene with Reepicheep going to Aslan's country is still sweet. Though it seemed some scenes weren't necessary, and Eustice's character could have been explored more so even though I enjoyed his performance. I was pleased but I did want more and the writing and indeed acting could have been more solid in spots. (Update) Nah this is the worst of the three and having recently watched all three I have clarity on that. Wardrobe stays close to the book and explores the allegory with the most skill. All three stories suffer from poor acting in places but the lazy film making shows more and more through the production value in each installment. This one is where they're not even trying. Some of the opening works but character development is rushed, plot is rushed, everything is rushed, except the CGI, you have ample time to soak that up. The movie races by and we haven't explored anything. We haven't felt, we have just watched. I think my initial liking of the film is nostalgia and is contextualized in my love for the books but Treader is crap. The ship is plastic and everyone is clean for goodness' sake. And a mist? Lots of poor adaptation that wounded Caspian and killed this one.
June 18, 2016
paalslssllxmskwosksks,skskslpslslsplspslslzslwlkxllc *fdwgkkhvssm,gsgmxjah nbhgytyyslwoslddfkfkgghjghr
½ May 29, 2016
Hope its good, loved the books
May 26, 2016
Of all the books, I think Dawn Treader had the most complicated story to tell, as strong a candidate as any to splitting the book into a 2 part movie like seems to be the trend nowadays. Since it's one movie, and not even that long, the writers are forced to only scratch the surface of the parables C.S. Lewis tells in the book. What a shame.
May 15, 2016
One of my favorite books in the series, the movie does not disappoint. Annoying cousin Eustace steals the movie.
½ May 14, 2016
The order:
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005)
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)
May 8, 2016
Will Poulter's performance is the saving grace of this movie, providing hilarious gags as he uncannily masters the character of Eustace; combined with fantastic effects and wonderful performances, The Dawn Treader greatly improves on the previous installment.
April 28, 2016
After having read all the books my eight-year-old daughter says thumbs up!
April 11, 2016
Growing up in the Canada in the 70's and 80's, I fondly recall vastly enjoying an animated version of Lewis' 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' that was presented by Kraft on CTV. Now as a father of a son, I want to see with him the contemporary versions of the books I adored in my youth, though at present I greatly prefer the craftsmanship of cinema pre-1970.

It never bothers me in the slightest, to the ire of my more obsessive-compulsive cinephilic friends, seeing films of series with complete disregard to their order (one of my friends nearly had a heart attack, when he discovered I had watched 'Spider-Man 3' without having previously watched films 1 and 2--don't even get me started about the 'Harry Potter' series...), so, especially curious about how one of my favourite contemporary directors, Michael Apted, would do in the realm of big-budget, CGI-intensive fantasy filmmaking (I expected a fish-out-of-water, like Lord Richard Attenborough helming 'A Chorus Line'), I gave this a shot.

I enjoyed this more than 'Harry Potter' films I have seen, though it does stretch things from the literary works, but unfortunately, that seems to be the way things are, since film became less about artistry and more about business (just see at Toys R Us how many possible toys you can purchase, and similar commercial off-shoots, and I don't even consider this series a major player in this sort of area, because of its Christian undertones, which really doesn't mesh perfectly with selling tons of toys, though of course the realms aren't mutually exclusive, not by any stretch of the imagination). I think that Apted did a decent job, especially considering that yes, he is a fine director, but this isn't really his cup of tea. I distinctly feel that if these films are your comfort food, you won't be disappointed. I look forward to checking out the series' two preceding entries, and, though they left an opportunity for more films, which I believe wouldn't be from Lewis' works at all, it was a nice summation at its conclusion.

Finally, it was great to see (or at the very least, hear) Tilda Swinton, Liam Neeson and Simon Pegg, they seem to be thrown in everything these days. I heartily salute their agents--they must have the very best in the business.
½ March 29, 2016
I read all of the books and watched all the movies produced so far but I did like the first one better. I guess you have to appreciate the films as well as the book. Not all books that are turned into movies stay true to the stories but the characters portrayed in the movies really add the imagination if you've only read the books. The Chronicles of Narnia will always be my favorite book/movie series even if the movies don't always stick to the book.
March 23, 2016
The best of the series. I really wish they would continue the series.
½ March 13, 2016
With this being the third installment of the film series, I knew I wanted to see it, but I also know that nothing is ever as good as the very first film. With that being said, it was still somewhat entertaining and adventure packed, but I often found myself bored or confused as to what was going on. The younger kids grew up, two of the main characters were excluded and the plot was all over the place. Still, it is worth seeing if for no other reason than to see how the Pevensie siblings conclude their adventures in the mystical land of Narnia.
March 11, 2016
I liked the first 2 movies
½ February 7, 2016
This one was not the best I think. It did not have a good plot and not interesting. There was like no fighting involved
January 31, 2016
Expecting a bad ending to this attempt at the franchise, Voyage of the Dawn Treader was surprisingly enjoyable. Shorter movie meant things happening quicker and Poulter's Eustace was possibly best character!? Weird.
January 13, 2016
Obviously this movie is terrible, but I watch it constantly and it brings me shame.
The kid who plays Eustace is so perfect though. Glad they brought Tilda in for no reason for a moment. Gains half a star for its mouse sized canoe at the end.
January 13, 2016
Dull and disappointing, The Dawn Treader probably destroyed any chances of another movie.