The Chronicles of Riddick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chronicles of Riddick Reviews

½ June 29, 2016
I'm torn between the theatrical and director's cut for Chronicles. While there is some more story and violence, the restored scenes cause the narrative to flow unevenly. The extra story content is very good, however it seemed to hamper the pace. 4 & 1/2 stars for the director's cut, 5 for the theatrical (can't believe I'm saying that).
June 29, 2016
Great Universe to further explore
½ June 22, 2016
A little more involved and larger scale than Pitch Black (which I guess this is a sequel to but more of a true spinoff I guess you could say). Good action and special effects in this one. A race of people seek followers and a place called "the underverse" and destroy planets. Riddick seeks answers helps an Imam and is thrust into a feud with the ruler of the conquering race after he finds that someone from Riddick's race is prophecied to kill him. I like where they take Riddick in this and the prison scenes are pretty awesome.
June 10, 2016
Essentially a Conan movie set in space. Good fun if you like an anti-hero protagonist, though the movie does suffer from overly rapid cuts in fight scenes that obscure the action.
May 17, 2016
Had to see it 3 times before I appreciated how well the plot hangs together. Great visuals, above average story telling. Like it!
May 8, 2016
I loved this movie, it's not simply a "sequel" to pitch black but an entire new epic sci-fi world. Much more deeper than the previous. Critics are heavily wrong on this one, is the best of the franchise, just very different. Pitch Black is "horror in space" a la "Alien", while Chronicles is epic space opera.
April 2, 2016
I wasn't that keen on Pitch black, but this movie is a lot better with only a few mild references to the first. The only trouble is it seems they cared more about the CGI.
March 30, 2016
Nuh, critics don't understand how cool this me is especially the extended version.
jamrcla
½ February 24, 2016
Slightly better than the first thanks to some good action scenes, But maybe strayed too far from the first, And the effects were pretty poor and the acting again was pretty bad I can see in a way why it's not liked as much as the first but it's not as bad as critics make out.
January 29, 2016
Kick a$$ science fiction flick...an underrated follow up to Pitch Black. Diesel's best work are those two movies. The 3rd one "Riddick"...is hideous.
January 1, 2016
151126: This film is all over the board. Assuming it has a lot more detail, the book is likely a much better bet. It's a bit unfortunate because the first film, Pitch Black (2000), is a decently entertaining horror sci-fi. Pitch Black was simple to follow and had enough action to keep your eyes on the screen. This film is much more complicated, if not convoluted, in its story line. Found I enjoyed it more as it progressed. Will see what Riddick (2013) brings.
December 30, 2015
in my opinion it's on of the best action movies of the 2000! Everything from the plot to the actors is great and capturing, you can relate to the characters ( what is really rare those days, unlike the last STAR WARS 7 which is officially the worst movie i've ever seen). In conclusion, the movie is great!
November 8, 2015
Could have watched the film on mute while watering my plants. Wouldn't have missed anything important of the plot or dialogue.
September 24, 2015
one of the best films in the world.
action packed
August 9, 2015
one of the worse films i have seen
July 28, 2015
I've rarely been disappointed in a sequel because I rarely expect much but damn if I did not get my hopes up then crushed quickly by this trash.
½ July 22, 2015
No apologies. I love the Riddick movies!
½ June 25, 2015
As expected, not as arty as Pitch Black, more of a action packed film where the main character always survives even in the most ridiculous circumstances. A rich sci-fi world of different races, it feels like their role and/or origins aren't explained enough, leaves you wanting more. An enjoyable watch. Just bring popcorn.
June 3, 2015
Hate me on this, but I freaking enjoyed it. Everybody says it is the weakest in the series. But heck, I loved it. It is dumb for sure, but it is a visual treat. I enjoyed the setting, the visual effects are not the greatest visuals you can get nor a top notch for it's time but the idea is great. The mind blowing sceneries, I do have fun. I'm a gamer maybe I can relate some things going around. It feels like that setting from Unreal Tournament or Half Life for instance. Riddick is still Riddick. He is one bad ass character with bad ass capabilities. His one tough son of a b*tch. And portrayed by a well physique Vin Diesel. What can you ask more? Though the acting is very noticeable with some never heard actors. I thought Twohy is definitely doing a great job with it. This is a much better sequel IMO. I don't really mind the story, I thought this is a fun action Sci-Fi film that I really enjoyed, in a guilty pleasure way. 4/5
½ May 29, 2015
Chronicles of Riddick has a few good moments and an earnest attempt at making a mythology, but through it all, It's evident that this sequel to the sleeper hit Pitch Black just wants to be the next Sci-fi franchise like Star Wars and Star trek