Chronos - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronos Reviews

½ February 28, 2009
Though not technically a breathtaking or original effort, this film nevertheless features the same kind of visual beauty as its spiritual ancestor Koyaanisqatsi. Putting this on in the background of a party or gathering is nearly equivalent to having expensive art on the walls.
½ February 8, 2009
Not sure why this is listed as a 2004 film, when it was released in 1985. Probably the best time lapse photography you will ever see, and some amazing scenery. But the music is to distracting, and there is to much repetition in the shots.
½ January 17, 2009
Baraka is much better then this film. Too much time lapse, and fisheye shots make this film repetitive.
January 12, 2009
This was quite a visual journey, however I hated the music...it really distracted me from the visuals. Sill a great watch but I prefer others to this one.
½ December 28, 2008
soooo beautiful and interesting to watch
½ October 26, 2008
Well, films like these are always hard to describe in words :) Koyaanisqatsi is the obvious peer to all of these films, but I don't think Chronos has anything to be ashamed off. It shows off some of the slickest time lapse footage ever and I think generally, it is a soothing experience and an audiovisual feast. This is the small brother to Baraka, showing ideas, bits and pieces from the arc that are more prominent in it's big brother. Don't let the year fool you, this was done in '85.
October 23, 2008
Worth it for the beam soundtrack alone
September 4, 2008
Meh ... I really wanted to see some impressive cinematography. There was some but not quite enough.
August 30, 2008
An aging antique dealer, Jesus Gris, happens upon an elegant mechanized scarab. When opened, it painfully stabs whomever is holding it, but the wound brings youthful vigor and a vampire's need for blood. The device is relentlessly pursued by a dying tycoon, Dieter de la Guardia, whose nephew Angel, reluctant to see his uncle live a moment longer, must still do the old man's bidding. Meanwhile, Gris's desires endanger his own granddaughter, Aurora.
August 7, 2008
If you lived in San Diego in the mid-1980's you were probably aware of the first IMAX Theater ever to debut at the Space Center in Balboa Park. Amongst the first IMAX films (if not THE first) was "Chronos" This was a quick follow-up to the very successful Koyaanisqatsi done in IMAX. If you never saw this in IMAX, don't buy this DVD because you wont get it. It still runs in IMAX from time to time. If you can find it, GO SEE IT!!!!!! I saw it 23 years ago when it was new. My mom took me to see it. Through the eyes of a 6-year-old it was haunting magic, it was so much of the world that I never knew existed and the scenes that would appear to "drag on" in normal aspect are lovingly embraced in IMAX. You are literally immersed in some of the most breathtaking scenes that are poetic, mysterious and captivating. It is almost as if you are a god looking upon the earth in the 4th dimension. It helped define how I think today and for that, I love this film.
½ August 3, 2008
Pretty cool. Drags at times as not every scene is interesting, but most shots are at least fun to look at.
June 21, 2008
Holy fuck, I've watched this in HD 600 times in the last 2 days and it's still amazing each time.
June 16, 2008
Ron Fricke, who filmed Koyaanisqatsi, largely excepted any philosophical stigma for this opportunity to expand the experimental/environmental film concept to the grandest projection format available (still to this day). Visually, it works as well as the Qatsi trilogy, but substantively, it functions just as an elegant travelogue.
½ May 21, 2008
-not as perfect as baraka or life out of balence...but still pretty sick. some of the best time lapse photography i've ever seen.
½ May 17, 2008
Not as interesting as Baraka or The Qatsi Trilogy in terms of its non verbal narrative, but Ron Fricke is a master of this type of narrative. It deals with Perished nations from what I understood. The Vangelis-like music is really good which makes me like Michael Stearns even more than I used to. Some wonderful visuals to be seen.
April 13, 2008
Put this in my Netflix queue not really knowing what to expect. Stunning landscapes from all over the world--all time sequence photography, very high quality photography.
½ March 2, 2008
Beautiful cinematography but honestly - how much of stock time-lapse photography is too much? Boring.
February 18, 2008
This is part of my trilogy. Watch this brilliant film first. It transcends time by arresting nature and slowing it down to a god-like pov in slo-mo. This would also be 5* if not for it's only 42 min. running time.
½ February 17, 2008
Fricke is a master at nonverbal narrative. An excellent meditation on the layers of time using time-lapse as the sole means of storytelling. Beautiful.
February 16, 2008