Chu lian hong dou bing (Ice Kacang Puppy Love) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chu lian hong dou bing (Ice Kacang Puppy Love) Reviews

June 29, 2015
Great Movie. I love the movie.
½ January 15, 2014
Prior to committing myself into this show since I am also from Malaysia, I have read, heard, and noticed from some sources that this is, in fact, Ah Niu's directorial debut. Thus, as a result, it is not surprising the first film thereof of his is nothing short of flaws or teething problems after seeing it.

Having such realization, I hope you would appreciate my drift and get the idea of how improper it is to make a motion picture about nine idiosyncratic compeers with hardly any character development except only to reveal them at the end when they are leaving their town, at least. Which audience of sound mind like me would need to look at these multiple sillies acting naively throughout the reel until the last scene on screen? I find it quite embarrassed and ashamed to watch and almost an insult to my maturity, let alone as a Malaysian-born Chinese and how such a race is depicted in my own country, since I am very sure not everyone is like that in reality.

Plus, because they have to portray as "young" retards, they are also unjustifiably forced into a deliberate melodrama in the middle of its storyline. The only good aspect I can easily compliment for this movie is its cinematography, and that is just pretty much about it, unfortunately.

My Rating: 2.5/5 stars; Grade: C+; Gesture: Thumbs Sideways; Status: Mediocre or So-So (Rotten); Emoticon: :-|.
October 28, 2012
Very nice and remind me of good memory.
April 10, 2012
A very simple and bittersweet story.
April 26, 2011
The movie starts off slow I guess as an investment to build up the characters and the setting. It was a risk well taken as it added a lot of depth to the plot. Great cinematography, directing and acting. I thought the actors were a bit old for the roles though. The movie can be summed up as a poignant story of a colourful childhood in a village. Good watch !.
½ March 7, 2011
ice kacang cinta anjing
February 17, 2011
10/10: Impressed how first time director Ah Niu produce such brilliant work of an art! Everything is inch-perfect. The story, jokes, castings, camerawork, cinematography, the 80's "Malaysian" settings. Real proud of this Malaysian masterpiece!