Chuck & Buck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chuck & Buck Reviews

½ July 31, 2016
More of a drama than anything else. I found Chuck too sad to be funny.
June 4, 2016
As bizarre and unsettling as the premise of this movie is, I've got to hand it to its sexual honesty.
March 14, 2016
Striving to be the next Harold and Maude or Rushmore, Chuck and Buck never really moves out of second gear. Autistic orphan Buck decides to stalk his childhood pal Chuck. No-one loses their temper, no-one refers him to the mental health services. Instead he engineers the production of his own dreadful play. A missed opportunity really.
½ May 22, 2015
A strange and often uncomfortable movie about sexuality and friendship.
½ March 7, 2015
A coming-of-age movie where the character only begins to come of age at the end. Gave me a good glimpse of LA ;) Splendid acting turns done here by brothers Chris and Paul Weitz (who are writers/directors/producers of movies like About A Boy, American Pie, New Moon, etc)
½ August 31, 2014
Do yourself a favor and burn your eyes out. It's better than looking at this...film? Can I call it that? Not really. Pretty much it's just an exercise in how to drown out what could be called a decent comedic storyline with child-molester level creepiness and overly looong scenes. Just a train wreck. Two thumbs up this movie's a$$.
May 17, 2014
I don't see this as a stalker movie, it is about living in a state of constant desire, about wanting something that you can't have and living with that. A really great movie, my favorite film of 2000.
½ March 25, 2014
Odd, entertaining and memorable.
½ February 2, 2014
Being part of the early stages of digital film-making, the crappy presentation of Chuck & Buck almost adds to the creepiness of it. Every single thing about this movie is terrifying, though subtle. Mike White plays an extremely damaged character whose child-like emotions keep him from being social with many people. His performance is probably one of the creepiest I've ever seen. The film does a great job of practically tormenting you with obnoxious songs about fun, unsettling behavior from the lead, and a filming method that makes you feels as if you shouldn't be watching the film at all, like you're intruding.
January 25, 2014
A well-acted gentle little film about a man fixated on a childhood relationship in the confused emotions following his mother's death. He finally has to workout how to live in the adult world. Very well acted, especially by Mike White and Lupe Ontiveros. In the hands of Hollywood, this would have become a violent stalking murder film, but in this indie movie it becomes a disturbed man's adjustment to living in the real world. A refreshingly different picture.
½ March 9, 2013
I found it a bit too slow at times but engrossing. I didn't find it as darkly humorous as described and i don't particularly like Mike White as Buck but i suppose he plays what is asked of his character. In fact I didn't really enjoy any of the characters. I liked the happyish ending, it seemed like everything for Buck was caving in too much too fast. I really do like the subject matter here, it resonates with me but i wasn't sure if it was executed as well as it could have been.
September 30, 2012
How about some of the o'l Chuck and Buck suck and fuck?
½ August 20, 2012
Buck is an uncomfortably fascinating character, but Chris Weitz's limited acting ability prevents this from being even better.
½ February 3, 2012
So freaking weird and creepy. But you can't help but feel for Buck, as ridiculous as the stuff is that he does. It's an unusual premise for a stalker film, and the ultimate realization is unsettling. There's a lot at play here, and it's a daring piece of cinema that somehow ends up making you happy at the end -- happy without Hollywood sugar-coating anything, because the resolution is really, really nice. This is weird piece of filmmaking that is simple but incredibly effective and memorable.
August 24, 2011
I liked this. Awkward moments throughout, but it works. It's hard not to feel sad for the main character. As someone who is slowly adjusting to adulthood this was a good movie for me to watch. The main character here has far worse problems than I have been faced with so far in life, so in ways this movie gives me some inspiration. If this guy can adjust to life, then so can I.
July 9, 2011
It works largely because the central conflict is so fascinating. One man refuses to let go of the past and the other refuses to confront it. It makes for a unique and oddly moving film, especially when the two title characters are forced to find a way to reconcile their opposing perceptions.
Ryan M
June 19, 2011
7.9/10

Mike White's "Buck" character will someday rank amongst one of the most unforgettable cinematic stalkers. White wrote the film, which was directed by Miguel Arteta, and it shows that White knows what makes movie stalkers so creepy, endearing, and ominous; innocence. White plays the stalker of the film, a man who is unable to grow up. He's able to bring out different emotions from the audience, taking us on a roller-coaster ride that doesn't care much for slowing down.

"Chuck & Buck" is the kind of film that most of us don't necessarily love, but it leaves us in a good mood regardless. It's such a deeply unsettling, sometimes even disturbing drama that will divide audiences for its creepiness and its characters, who are all likable, or at least by the end of the film, they are. I enjoyed the story here. I also admired Arteta's direction. He seems to be the kind of director who would understand the humanity, drama, and humor contained within Mike White's screenplay, although I do believe that White deserves most of the credit for the mostly positive outcome of the film.

Buck (White) is a lonely, timid, and innocent man in his late 20's, coping with the recent loss of his dear mother. His father had left his life long ago, and Buck doesn't have anyone to turn to. He invites an old friend who he calls Chuck (Chris Weitz) to the funeral party, and to his surprise, Chuck attends. Unlike Buck, Chuck has grown up, he is successful, and he has met the love of his life. Buck is not accepting. Buck doesn't want the party to be their last time to see each-other again. So this is why he's overjoyed when Chuck offers him to visit him and his girlfriend sometime in Los Angeles. He takes them up on this offer.

Buck has a lot of money to spend, but he settles for a motel. Buck is like a child, unable to let go of childhood toys and objects, so he sets them down in the room and feels at home. He waits a while, and then goes to meet his buddy Chuck. Since Chuck is a busy man, Buck entertains himself by writing a play, which he intends on premiering at a local theater, managed by Beverly (Lupe Ontiveros), who takes an unexpected liking to him. The play is inspired by the events that lead to "Chuck" and Buck's relationship as friends, which began with a onetime summer camp. What happened at camp is heavily implied when the film is nearing its end, but I won't let the secret get out that easily.

Mike White is a very gifted writer. I sympathized for his creepy, sentimental Buck; who is an obsessive stalker of the Chuck character. The man wrote the story so that we could identify and care about Buck and only Buck. Thus, White's performance, as an actor, playing the character, is also quite wonderful. Weitz is somewhat unlikable when we're first introduced to his annoyance and nigh hatred for Buck, although this is the point. Lupe Ontiveros is also wonderful as the theater manager, who insists on being Buck's only friend. I appreciated the relationships between each character because among other things, they felt real.

"Chuck & Buck" is not a great film, but it is an undeniably good one. There are those who will love it and form a sort of cultish circle around its existence, and I can't really say that the film deserves any more or any less. There was a lot that I really liked about the movie, to the point where flaws are out of the question. I do not know why this well-written, well-directed effort is NOT perfect, because it resonates fairly well, and I was touched in the end. Perhaps it has something to do with my admiration for unforgettable shots, usage of a great soundtrack, and the like. "Chuck & Buck" is not an art film, and it does not necessarily try to be great movie, so as a film that wins as a piece of entertainment and as a piece of human insight, it's satisfying and definitely worth seeing.
March 19, 2011
How does a director go from this to an ensemble screwball comedy (Miguel Arteta, the director of this film also did Cedar Rapids, also Youth in Revolt)
February 14, 2011
creepy and eerie. I dont know if this makes Mike White a good actor or not, due to the revulsion of his character.