Chuck Close: A Portrait in Progress Reviews

• May 18, 2014

Every bit as impressive as Close's process, to which this documentary adds depth and interest - things I've always struggled to find in his painting.

• Sep 09, 2009

"You will be happy again and you can survive almost anything." - Chuck Close: magacian, puppeteer, artist, friend.

• Oct 05, 2008

I have a thing for this documentary. I prefer Chuck Close to just about any painter in the last hundred years. I love Philip Glass. The combination of the two visually and sonically is perfection. This is probably one of my top five favorite documentaries.

• Jun 30, 2008

I'm loving this movie. Of course the temptation is to compare it to "Painters Painting", but being focused on one painter's work (with charming asides to a number of artists who use their screen time to talk about themselves...who wouldn't?) it's much more intimate. Ms. Cajori does some loopy things with the camera (bruchcam!) but the editing is brilliant and the use of sound throughout startlingly engaging. At nearly two hours, some people might be worn out, but I felt like I could watch forever, but I also felt something else more wonderful...I felt like going to the studio and _working_.

• Jan 08, 2008

great documentary about the generation of artists

great documentary about the generation of artists

• Jan 06, 2008

I really wasn't familiar with this artist, and I feel like I am now. This documentary did a good job at concentrating mostly on his art and not getting too crazy on the personal side of things.

• Jan 02, 2008

An intimate portrait of an art star known for his portraits.

An intimate portrait of an art star known for his portraits.