Chuck Norris vs Communism Reviews

• Jan 19, 2019

A documentary about how American films on bootleg VHS tapes contributed to the fall of communism in Romania. What started small, grew large, and private movie parties changed Romania. Very interesting.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Apr 15, 2018

Although it is very interesting to learn about how those people living in a heavily controlled Communist regime silently rebelled against the status quo by watching movies, the conclusion it draws in the end sounds more like a silly, unfounded jump than anything else.

• Feb 02, 2017

One personal documentary coming right up!

One personal documentary coming right up!

• Nov 06, 2016

The power of film in the truest sense: communist-ruled Romania needed the escape of Hollywood magic, and ultimately that message of triumphant heroism led to their own revolution. Using clips from American cinema and really good reenactments, we get a look at an oppressed cultures longing for freedom. At times a bit cold, but always intriguing.

• Sep 23, 2016

Lighthearted documentary about two groups of people; one that brought and translated Western films into Romania during it's cultural lockdown, and the second group, interviews with the regular people who watched these films covertly. Very light fare for something related to what went on behind the iron curtain.

• Aug 01, 2016

Brilliant documentary. The further we get from Christmas Day 1989 and the execution of the idiotic but murderous Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaucescu, the more laughable the Romanian revolution appears. But watch out! Films like this remind everybody that utopians play for keeps, and if you disobey or even disagree with them, you get denounced. Then silenced. Then shot. Irina Nistor is one of Romania's heroines. "But all I really wanted to do was see American movies," she said. In that simple statement, we hear the voice of everyone who wants to be free: free to think, to say anything that anybody considers offensive, to gather and watch stupid movies-even good movies if they're available.

• Jul 25, 2016

I wish the film included more background on the political climate in Romania at the time as well as the political fall out after the events of the film, but it certainly is an interesting snapshot of what this period of communism was like as well as the power of art and film on the way we think about and perceive the world around us.

• May 15, 2016

Hate the title, but the film itself is engrossing. Wonderful dramatizations and a clear narrative throughline.

• May 05, 2016

A look into what life was like behind the Iron Curtain. It is insane the control these communist countries had on the daily lives of their citizens. Anybody that bitches about the USA does not understand that this still is the greatest country on earth. Everyone, young and old, should watch this documentary. You'll appreciate the freedom that we often take for granted.

• Apr 25, 2016

The experiencing of film and art as rebellion in and of itself is beyond powerful. Holy shit, I cried through this whole movie.