A Chump at Oxford - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Chump at Oxford Reviews

½ September 4, 2008
A light comedy from Laurel and Hardy, the two are out-of-work and down on their luck til one day they happen to foil a bank robbery. The bank president offers to put them through school to "better themselves" so the two travel to merry old England and enroll at Oxford. Most of this film didn't work so well for me, it moves at a fairly slow pace (they spend about ten minutes of the movie lost in a topiary maze) and at a running time of 65 minutes, you'd think the pace would be flying by. There are only 3 set pieces to the movie: the scene where the two get jobs as a maid and butler (and all the hilarity that comes with them being classless oafs at a millionaires mansion), the scene where they're lost in the maze, and the ending, where Stan gets hit on the head and recovers his old memory of being "Lord Paddington", star of Oxford. This final scene is actually the best in the movie, as Lord Paddington is the exact opposite of Stanley: he's intelligent, strong, athletic and not afraid of anything (when he gets mad and ready to fight, his ears wiggle, and he beats up dozens of troublemakers). Lord Paddington even allows Olly to hang around, as his boy, "Fatty". But the last ten minutes aside, this plays out more like an average 3 stooges short rather than the other classic Laurel and Hardy movies that everyone should see.
½ August 24, 2008
Just watched this on Turner Classic Movies. I was in a weird mood and this was just the cure I needed. Hilarious.
½ July 23, 2008
I always wanted to be able to wiggle me ears like Stan did in this movie.
½ June 26, 2008
I think his is the best movie they've done, period. When I'm watching this, there is never a spot where I'm not laughing out loud or chuckling. My face hurts everytime I watch this move.
June 22, 2008
"Fatty, lift your chin. No, no, no both of them."

Lol - a classic Laurel and Hardy
June 21, 2008
After all these years, Laurel n' Hardy are still some of the greatest comedic actors of all time. I usually don't care much for "old school" comedy (Marx Bros., Three Stooges, etc.), but these guys are always funny in every movie that they're in, and this film is no exception. Funny from start to finish... which is more than I can say for most modern comedies.
April 11, 2008
Probably my favorite Laurel and Hardy film (Stan's dual characters are hilarious). The bit where they spend, apparently, an entire day and night and day stuck in a garden maze is the height of comedic film surrealism.
½ April 5, 2008
Hilarious. My first Laurel and Hardy movie and definitely not my last.
March 2, 2008
'I say fatty, you've not got the standing of a good lacky' or words to that effect............Stan finally in the driving seat.........it's a toss up between this and Way Out West
January 9, 2008
THE BEST FILM EVER THE LINE "FATTY LIFT UP YOU CHIN" "NO BOTH OF THEM" CLASS
January 4, 2008
Comic masterclass from er... the masters.
½ December 28, 2007
A tremendous documentary about life at Oxford. With slapstick.
December 23, 2007
Funnier than I remember. Both on fine form Stan especially. He comes out with a great right jab early on that had me spitting my coffee!
½ December 22, 2007
Das ist ein Klassiker! Eine fruehe Komoedie ueber den Standesduenkel an renomierten Universitaeten
December 7, 2007
I've seen this film dozens of times and I never tire of it. Stan Laurel gives a surprising performance that shows he had more comic versatility than he let on elsewhere.
½ December 3, 2007
I was in giggling away to the simple fun of the maze ghost, some of the other scenes I thought were a bit surplus but there's no pleasing everyone. Also, although inevitable, seeing Stan Laurel playing a university scholar was also a treat.
December 1, 2007
A ne pas louper: la scene du labyrinth! Trop drole!
November 18, 2007
It's Laurel & Hardy. That's enough
November 4, 2007
my favorite of all laurel and hardy comedies
October 20, 2007
I loved laurel and hardy as a child, and this was one of their best