Church Ball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Church Ball Reviews

½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ November 26, 2011
A funny cheezy LDS comedy.
½ August 11, 2011
Interesting to have a basketball movie in a church setting.
April 11, 2010
Totally bombed a movie with such a great premise and a funny cast. The idea of it ended up being much better than the execution, which seemed at times like actors were improvising scenes. The basketball scenes tried to tap into physical humor that wasn't funny. The gag with Gary Coleman was only funny if you didn't know he was going to be in the movie. And with how awful the protagonists acted, the movie couldn't even tap into the lovable underdog you see in most sports movies. Both sides were pretty unlikeable. This was a huge disappointment.
February 1, 2010
I'm giving Church Ball two stars - one for each time I laughed. It's not the actors' fault that this movie isn't good, the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the writers, producers, editors and the director. It's not a complete waste of time, but it's not one I can recommend or watch again.
½ July 18, 2009
It was kind of entertaining.
March 21, 2009
Church ball does get a little crazy in real life; but, for such a potentially interesting subject matter (how churches can be so hypocritical when playing sports), they kind of blew the concept by making it more of a sight-gag based comedy. Any movie that has Clint Howard on the cover of the box should raise a red flag.

Oh...and the Mormon stuff was subtle, but kind of weird. I guess it would make it a "cult" classic though...
January 24, 2009
Very funny. Any soundtrack to go with it?
½ September 3, 2008
Hillarious! Why? Because it's a great representation of the competitive sports that happens in churches everywhere, not just the Mormon church. The director did a great job with this one!
July 25, 2008
this movie is so funny!
½ July 9, 2008
The funny thing is, it's sometimes true!
½ July 7, 2008
I love basketball comedies!
½ March 27, 2008
This movie gets stars solely for the subtle jabs it takes at Mormonism. As the son of a Mormon, I recall fondly those days of going toe-to-toe with the Latter-Day Saints on a carpeted gym floor. The only thing that I can say is that the irony was much more palpable in real life. Still, not a bad effort by the filmmakers to capture it. Oh yeah, Gary Coleman was the jawn. "Pudding in a Cloud", y'all.
March 5, 2008
Didn't think much of it.
March 4, 2008
Granted it looked a little bit low budget... and the camera angles and that was a bit awkward. After looking up the ratings and reviews of this movie I was afraid I would be wasting my time... but the movie exceeded my expectations. I would watch it again.
½ February 5, 2008
The wors LDS comedy to date!
January 26, 2008
Best Movie EVER. I wish I could give it six stars.
December 28, 2007
"For they are without order, and without mercy..."
½ December 27, 2007
It can't get much worse than this!
½ December 26, 2007
They tried to hard to make this something when it eas really nothing.