Churchill: The Hollywood Years - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Churchill: The Hollywood Years Reviews

½ April 3, 2016
Hollywood executives look to make the re-telling of WWII more exiting, and end up with a very bizarre story. Christian Slater plays Winston Churchill, a USMC who has an affair with princess Elizabeth II (Neve Campbell). He also captures an Enigma machine and almost single-handily wins the war. All this while Hitler sets up residency in Buckingham Palace. Very few of the jokes landed. Funny premise, but utter crap.
September 4, 2015
Surprisingly good spoof.
August 21, 2015
A brilliant comedy, satire and, almost, pantomime, on Churchill, Hitler and an assorted cast of royal and political figures from that era. Do not watch me in kamp f.
April 24, 2013
A very good spoofish film with Christian Slater as Churchill.Why can't i find a Region 1 DVD release of this film?
January 18, 2013
This film implies Churchill was an action hero star who tried to prevent Hitler's rise to power. Overwhelmingly and almost insultingly stupid, as well as a magnificent mess. The fact that the mess is intentional and is supposed to be part of the fun does not necessarily make it any better.
½ March 18, 2012
Even if you accept the premise of Churchill as an all American gun-ho GI (well played by Christian Slater) this movie is so very wrong on so many different levels the intended satire gets a bit lost (Buckingham Palace had it's own train station?!?). I ended up playing "Spot the British comedian/actor" for all the British characters apart from Canadian Neve Campbell sending up young Princess Elizabeth.
½ March 11, 2012
I may have not reviewed them all the ones I've watched but I'm on a slow journey to own and watch every single film with Christian Slater in, not only does this require busting out the old VCR but it also runs the risk of watching some potentially awful films, one of which I thought would be 'Churchill: The Hollywood years', suffice to say I was pleasantly pleased.Okay, son the narrative is a bit jolted, the film had about four endings and the whole set up featured in modern times wasn't the greatest idea, but this is a comedy and it's certainly not meant to be taken seriously, especially since Slater plays Churchill if he was an American G.I that marries queen Elizabeth, rediculous. But fun.This was one of the Slater films I was most worried about and I'm happy it turned out reasonably well. Even if it is pasted with annoying moments it still gets some good laughs and is an enjoyable 80 minutes.
½ February 12, 2012
Glad to see that the English people finally accepted that they like Germans LOL
½ February 10, 2012
What if Winston Churchill was an American G.I., Eisenhower was black, and Adolf Hitler had only got one ball. Well that is what you will get in this action comedy starring Christian Slater, Neve Campbell and a star studded list of A-list comedians. I laughed out loud when my dad told me about that song he used to sing, but the rap version of the song they performed really was not up to par.

All in all a righteous laugh, and I'd recommend it to anyone who has a funny bone. Although if you are looking good war story with good acting and historical accuracies, then you better leave.
December 11, 2011
Absolute rubbish, this movie was so ridiculous it was awful. I can understand the tongue in cheek humour, the thing is it just wasn't very funny at all. A waste of time.
December 11, 2011
May 22, 2011
An absolutely awful comedy that ruins one of the greatest leaders of all time's name in almost every way.
½ March 16, 2011
I didnt laugh, then i fell asleep.
½ February 21, 2011
Not awful. Doesn't flow but is worth an inhibriated look.
Best line ;
'I wish I was American'
December 22, 2010
a little over the top maybe trying to hard to be funny
August 31, 2010
ridiculous - deliberate but still
August 31, 2010
more miss than hit, but there are some chuckles to be had, nice to see Rik Mayall on the screen
August 30, 2010
Probably should have been called "The Comic Strip Presents... Churchill: The Hollywood Years", same writers, producers and many of the same actors.

Either way, it's a hilarious take on the way the Hollywood studios re-write history to suit themselves. Well written, well acted and funny as hell.

A must watch.
½ July 8, 2010
Glad to see that the English people finally accepted that they like Germans LOL
½ March 28, 2010
I agree with xGary Xx's comment, but once you get control of the remote time in front to this satire-gone-too-far weirdness passes much quicker!