The Cider House Rules - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cider House Rules Reviews

½ May 22, 2009
An emotional story that is overshadowed by it's literary feel. Michael Caine's oscar-winning performance is almost overshadowed by Maguire's rather boring performance. (His naivety to the world becomes almost annoying.)

And, most of all, the tragic consequences of the story don't seem to negate the philosophy of living life by your own set of rules. A film this gray on issues like incest, abortion, infidelity, betrayal, murder, and dishonesty in the pure name freedom or, even worse, the betterment of society, need to consider what gives humanity it's value, and where and why morality is defined.
May 19, 2009
a slow burner, but good! jazz impressario eryka badu and bay doll charlize shine.
May 18, 2009
Hallstrom here manages to find a balance between warm sentimentality and hard controversial subject matter. The result is a sepia toned classic. Irvings plot alone is strong enough to carry the film without the excellent performances from Maguire, Caine and co.
½ May 17, 2009
Decent enough movie - have never read the book so did not know what to expect! Is there such a thing as a movie without Paul Rudd in it??? Not complaining though!
May 11, 2009
A great script, great acting. Interesting story told on several levels. Complex and gripping. Nicely filmed. I will be looking for more from this director, and from Tobey Maguire.
½ May 10, 2009
again, not considering how amazing the book is.. the movie is good. a little more wimpy than the novel, but a nice adaptation.
May 7, 2009
Beautiful music and classic movie.
May 1, 2009
find yourself, choose your way.
April 27, 2009
i hate seeing rudd as an all american fighter pilot, but caine as a ether high MD is gold!

you princes of maine, you kings of new england.
½ April 26, 2009
interesting, but I didn't think it was Michael Caine's best performance.
½ April 24, 2009
Un bon film en somme, mais qui ne laisse pas de trace dans la memoire!
April 20, 2009
Much of the film takes place in an orphanage-- the doctors and nurses revere life. They name the adopted babies. But they also respect the woman's decision not to keep her baby. I don't understand how Ebert said he agreed the movie showed the man was the decider. A man happens to be the doctor, together they do as SHE chooses. A message this movie seems to state is a woman will carry out her decision no matter what-- I'm not sure if this is the case. And maybe that's why the film remains inconclusive. But this movie DOES show kids are a great thing-- look at all the wonderful personalities in the orphanage... they wait months and years as couples slowly pick and choose which children they want to bring into their lives. Adoption itself is a noble and respected action; a great and loving thing (if it works out like that). But, there's another possible message in this movie... it might seem like an ugly option, but would one rather a child whittle slowly away in an orphanage lest they not be picked, or, rather, that unwanted child not be brought into the world in the first place? Which is the most lengthy, tortuous cruelty to a human soul? I think that's where the movie leaves you. This movie does not preach, it poses a series of questions, and that's why some call it "murky." There are many other themes to this movie as well, but this was one of them, I believe. (Edit: Had another thought... maybe Ebert wanted to focus on whether the movie had any "direct [preachy] messages" and criticize it for being "unclear" rather than basically publicly stating his opinion on abortion-- as it's a touchy/risky subject that could affect his readership... if you notice, he waives off the topic in one sentence.)
April 15, 2009
looks like a god film
March 31, 2009
Life lesson learned by a kid who gets all the answers to how's and why's of the world,Good life lesson movie
March 24, 2009
En helknäpp story! Men varsamt och väl spelat av Maguire, Caine och de andra. En bra Hallström, men tänk inte för mycket bara.
½ March 22, 2009
Interesting movie. I enjoyed Toby Maguire's performance. Not sure about Michael Caine's performance though. I now understand why the movie caused so much controversy when it came out.
March 9, 2009
This is a movie I have watched several times.
½ March 9, 2009
I thought it was a good movie, although I find it hard to like Tobey Maguire. He's just so boring to watch.
½ March 7, 2009
this would be the typical kind of movie that would win oscars but everybody (including me) hates.
March 7, 2009
Wow, so i guess you can pick and choose the laws and rules you want to follow in the world so that it's the best for you. That's all i can get out of this. Everything but the whole abortion situations was great, but the whole subject of that just puts a tinge of propoganda or liberalness on an otherwise fine movie.