The Cider House Rules - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cider House Rules Reviews

½ July 21, 2013
Wonderful movie and heart-warming story about this orphanage and great cast too.
½ July 17, 2013
Emotional little movie. Trite but pretty good.
July 16, 2013
Make or break your own rules, but be responsible for your decisions.
½ June 25, 2013
"Good night, you princes of Maine, you kings of New England,"
It's a heartwarming and so touching movie.
June 24, 2013
A little dry in spots almost to the point you lose interest but it still kept me interested (I wanted to know how it ended). I feel like there could have been more to the story line, therefore three stars.
½ June 22, 2013
The cinematography in this movie is simply put, beautiful. Many memorable lines, and Michael Caine, but refuses to take time to handle the many issues it brings up, which makes it feel somewhat empty at times.
June 9, 2013
Beautifully done movie...
June 3, 2013
I really wasn't expecting to be as engaged as I was throughout this film. I thought the story was very charming, and the performances were great; even the many young actors interspersed throughout were really great. Michael Caine was the obvious standout, but Tobey Maguire certainly held his own opposite him - and Charlize Theron was also fantastic. Seeing Homer and Candy's relationship develop and then slowly fall apart was quite intriguing, although I wish more time had been dedicated to their character development. What is in the film certainly works, though, and the two hour running time fails to deter The Cider House Rules from being an emotionally complex and satisfying piece of work.
May 27, 2013
Watched last night 26/05/13 excellent
May 24, 2013
I don't know why I remembered it was something like a movie on a nunnery in which the rules were teached in a very strong and violent way. Of course it's not...considering it's a love story! The movie is a bit strange and atypical, and it's not really bad, but unfortunately it's not also very good. I mean, the story is interesting, the lands in which is shot are amazing and Charlize Theron's back more than involving. But, to be frank, when you see Tobey Maguire's blankness (that is second only to Kristen Stewart's probably) for the whole two hours of the movie, all the atmosphere so nicely created falls down into boredom.
May 1, 2013
I never get tired of this movie
½ April 28, 2013
Not a bad film but a bit dull. It's also a bit too predictable, no surprises at all in this story.
April 15, 2013
Great beginning, ok middle, whatevs ending. Nothing really happens. Going after a few tough topics, but didn't really delve into any of them. Technically speaking, the film looks great. Some really beautiful scenes, lit very well.
½ April 12, 2013
I really did not like Lasse Hallstrom's "The Cider House Rules". Taking place before abortion was legalized, Michael Caine plays a doctor at an orphanage in rural Maine where he also performs abortions. Tobey Maguire is an orphan who has spent most of his childhood at the institution. Wouldn't one know it? Caine takes Maguire under his wing but Maguire is resistant to the abortion idea at first. This is one of those discipleship tales where this old guy imparts all this life wisdom to a protege. The melodrama gets very annoying and the movie moves along slowly. Also, the preachy morals get cumbersome because of the weight of the hypocrisy. One character comments about outside people (or God) making rules against them because "they don't live here, we should make the rules." Of course, characters are confronted by "outside" moral standards such as incest. I guess it depends on what "morality" we're talking about. The movie never explains.
April 5, 2013
I LOVE YOU !!!! FROM LOUIS
April 4, 2013
Good 'feel good' movie..
March 27, 2013
This film is really well done with fantastic writing and the Oscar worthy performance of Michael Caine. Charlize Theron, Toby Maguire, Paul Rudd, and Delroy Lindo give good performances as well. The film is so drama and keeps you interested mostly. Overall a good must see film. My grade=90%(A)
March 22, 2013
If you stay, make use of yourself.
½ February 24, 2013
Delightful performances, beautiful imagery, and a timeless ambiance.
February 23, 2013
Heavy, sad stuff but so endearing and heartwarming to watch at the same time. Loved this movie.