The Cincinnati Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cincinnati Kid Reviews

August 7, 2016
Winner takes all poker drama. Great cast that keeps you involved. It's a bit over the top at parts, but in the end it's a winner. "You're good kid, but so long as I'm around you'll always be second best." Ann Margret is beautiful, I feel bad though that McQueen fell for her.
April 13, 2016
The Cincinnati Kid depicts a corrupt New Orleans. A porker game played corruptly by cheating.

A knife vs a razor blade in a dumpy bathroom.

I like who the train tracks chase was filmed with the crane shot.

A girl who cheats at solitary and forces the puzzle pieces to fit into a puzzle where it does not belong.

The film ends with Cincinnati Kid ends broke.

I was not impressed with the music. It was far too ordinary and did not stand out. It sounded like music that would hear in just an ordinary 60's city set show. I think that the music made this film boring. The music has to keep an audience interested but the music just makes the film boring. There are some scenes where the choice to have music in scenes verse no music would have been different to add more tension.

I am not a fan of the corrupt gray figures depicted in this film. I felt like the way the games are depicted were not filmed in an entertaining way that keeps the audience interested. i felt like the card games in the Sting were much better told than this depiction.

I felt like the film could have been edited shorter. It was a little too long for my taste.
March 25, 2016
Very good poker film. Notable performances by classic actors Edward G. Robinson, Karl Maldon and Joan Blondell. Beautiful, young Ann-Margret and Tuesday Weld perform alongside McQueen in his prime.
September 28, 2015
This is the best poker movie ever made, featuring the up and coming young kid (Steve McQueen) facing off against the old champion (Edward G. Robinson in a great performance, but no oscar, as he was never awarded even one). Great realistic poker action, and a superb supporting cast, including Karl Malden, Ann-Margret, Tuesday Weld, Cab Calloway, Rip Torn, and Joan Blondell. The memorable theme song is sung by Ray Charles.
½ September 20, 2015
The ending was unpredictable and unusual, but that doesn't overshadows the film's grittiness of New Orleans and its storyline about a rising poker player trying to be the best. "The Cincinnati Kid" is fun, exciting, and offers great acting range from the cast. Definitely one of my favorite McQueen films.
½ August 21, 2015
What's memorable about this film are the performances, especially by Steve McQueen, Edward G. Robinson, and Ann Margaret. But the picture feels like on big build up to a very disappointing ending. At the end, you're not quite sure if the film's point that sometimes luck can run out is really an important one.
August 18, 2015
Pretty boring so far.
January 31, 2015
Great plot twist at the end.
January 16, 2015
I watched a documentary on Steve McQueen. Then I watch this film. It gets great reviews and all but I just don't get it. Must be the playing cards thing. I could never understand them and the games are just a big mystery to me. What I learned from the film? It never pays to be too self assured and think you rule the world. Or something.
November 16, 2014
Not a great movie by any means, it does have its moments. In the end it is just too predictable and lacks "teeth."
½ January 26, 2014
Smart western focusing on the gambling hall instead of a six-shooter.
Nearly all the actors are capable of stealing a scene, and we want them to.
½ January 19, 2014
An up-and-coming poker player tries to prove himself in a high-stakes match against a long-time master of the game.

stars Steve McQueen, Edward G. Robinson, Ann-Margret, Karl Malden, Tuesday Weld, Joan Blondell, Rip Torn, Jack Weston, Cab Calloway and Jeff Corey.

directed by Norman Jewison.
½ December 20, 2013
Well I stumbled onto this movie using the name of poker, but this movie gave me a good opportunity to see the old school of filmmaking. Its obviously a very different style of direction and on a personal note it was quite intriguing to see how they made the films at that time. Steve Mcqueen being the superstar he was does a beautiful job in maintaining the tension during the games.
I love how the ending is not even bitter-sweet but just plain depressing at the end. It shows a very realistic point of view for the audience you fail to see in today's movie with all the over the top characters.
To the poker fans, you could give this movie a go.
December 13, 2013
A movie about poker before poker was a fad. Throw in a great cast and you've pretty much got a classic. I won't spoil things completely, but because the movie was made in 1965, the feel closer resembles a foreign flick that does not stick to the typical American story line.

McQueen is always good. Not a fav of mine but he was solid in every role. Ann-Margret...I guess this was my first time seeing her. Holy cow. Total smokeshow. Again, imagine what this movie must have been like in 1965 before every woman on tv spilled out of her clothes. Karl Malden is good as Shooter, and Robinson is good as Howard.

The final 30-35 minutes are the final poker match. In a movie that lasts just 105 minutes, that's fairly impressive. Even more so is the ending. I just read that they did throw in a different ending than originally scripted. That ending would have been really cool.
August 28, 2013
STAR CHANNEL 2, 2013/8/28
½ August 11, 2013
Perhaps my favorite Steve McQueen performance. This made poker cool before all that ESPN, Poker After Dark stuff. The final hour when the marathon game begins with Edward G. Robinson is what makes the film great. I don't play or like poker so for Norman Jewison to make a film where every single hand has you on the edge of your seat speaks volumes of his talent as a director and storyteller. And yes, the final hand makes for a great ending.

Grade: B+
August 9, 2013
A stellar cast... doing almost nothing of interest.
June 6, 2013
The Cincinnati Kid. Steve McQueen is such a badass that I feel less masculine every time i watch one if his movies. I read a review by someone who said that the movie is a lot like The Hustler and even though I agree with that it is still a very good movie. The whole concept of degenerate gambling and how easily it can consume someone's life is very captivating and stimulating to watch. There is one undeniable smokeshow in the movie and another very attractive woman. Nicknames like "The Kid" and "The Man" are so classic that I wish i could play poker with McQueen. One of the best and most underrated roles in the whole movie is the young black kid who is in it now and then to show how gambling can become an addiction. Wicked fun to watch and incredibly classic. Easy 7.5/10 but in reality just under an 8
½ May 24, 2013
Steve McQueen and Edward G. Robinson playing poker? How could you go wrong? Heck, they even throw in Cab Calloway just in case someone didn√ʬ?¬?t think it was √ʬ?¬?cool√ʬ?¬? enough already. Any and all aficionados of poker have to see this movie since it is pretty much unanimously considered √ʬ?¬?The Best Poker Movie√ʬ?¬? (there was even a sticker on my DVD saying that very thing.) Personally, I think the poker action in _Rounders_ is more accurate and enjoyable from a card-playing perspective. But, seriously, the acting in _The Cincinnati Kid_ more than makes up for the occasional poker flub, including the constant use of string bets, even after they go out of their way to say they are not allowed. Tss tss.
½ March 31, 2013
A personal favorite. Under-appreciated IMHO.