Cinderella Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cinderella Man Reviews

July 22, 2016
Emotive and charming, it doesn't add anything new to the boxing genre, but the powerful Russell Crowe interpretation is something to praise.
½ July 22, 2016
Another well told yet predictable boxing flick.
July 6, 2016
Emotionally powerful, the pressures of the Great Depression are as much of an opposition as the rival boxers.
½ July 2, 2016
Wow! Edge of my seat.
½ June 1, 2016
Cinderella Man stars Russell Crowe as Jim Braddock, a boxer on-the-rise until a broken hand and the Great Depression turn his world upside-down. Forced to work the docks to provide for his family, Braddock gets a second chance when his former trainer/promoter (played by Paul Giamatti in an Academy Award nominated performance) offers him a spot as a replacement fighter. This movie is based off of a true story, and, for the most part, the facts hold up. Whenever I watch a movie based on reality, I like to look into the real story to see what was exaggerated for the sake of film. Apparently, the biggest exaggeration in this movie was the portrayal of the "villain" boxer Max Baer, who in real-life was considered a gentleman instead of the crazy cliche we got on screen. My absolute favorite part of this movie was the film score. Thomas Newman, the mastermind behind the music for the Shawshank Redemption, understands emotions and creates music that matches the tone of this film perfectly. The performances from Crowe and Giamatti were also great. However, this felt like a big soap-opera. When things went south, not a scene went by when we didn't get a lingering shot of one or more characters having a case of the sads with somber music in the background. It was really overkill in my opinion. Ron Howard has directed his fair-share of emotional movies, but he really went overboard on the emotional turmoil, which is hard considering what a tough time it really was. I understand that this is a great story of a true Cinderella Man representing overcoming tough obstacles during a low point in American history, but with movies like Rocky, Million Dollar Baby, and even Ali, Cinderella Man falls short as a sports film great. The 2-hour-plus runtime drags along, forcing you to endure the melodrama longer than you'd like. Is it a bad movie? No. Forgettable? Absolutely.
May 22, 2016
Great movie based on a true story. Russle Crow is brilliant as always, he's such a believable actor it's unreal. The screenplays well written and interesting. There are a few bits that aren't true to real life, but that's Hollywood.
½ May 22, 2016
Inspirational true story movie...
May 2, 2016
Boasting knockout performances from Russell Crowe, Paul Giamatti and especially Renee Zellweger, Cinderella Man is an uncommonly engaging boxing drama for both boxing fans and novices alike, featuring an emotionally resonant depiction of the Great Depression and the uplift brought on by the titular hero to create a comprehensible epic filled with sentimental heartwarmth and gritty energy.
½ March 21, 2016
The stereotypical sports movie about a character which goes from glory to hell and back to the glory again.

The story is OK, but nothing new. Crowe performs well, but it is not one of his best movies. Giamatti is great, as always but Zellwegger is too cheesy in her role.

Just an entertaining movie without any more intentions.
March 5, 2016
Despite a plagued screenplay, Cinderella Man is a powerful underdog film that captures the power of fighting for your family. The movie is fueled by the strong performances of Crowe and Giamatti.
February 20, 2016
An inspired performance by Russell Crowe, and a great depiction of Jim Braddock
½ February 3, 2016
Great movie, very inspiring and American.
February 1, 2016
It'll make you care and tear up. No joke, this movie should exist as not just one of the best boxing movies but one of the best dramas of this century. Russell Crowe is stupendous, charming, relatable, & has the balls of a bull. Not to suggest that testicle size or the animal they belong to completely matters, Crowe dominates the role of Braddock by making us cheer for him and fear for his life all at the same time. A must-see!
January 9, 2016
A pure epic masterpiece. Even if you are not a boxing fan, the story is incredible and the acting is spectacular. A must see
December 7, 2015
best boxing movie I've ever seen.
December 5, 2015
A true 5 star. Non fiction drama that displays all the best qualities of film making. A rare insight into the great depression and the rise from the gutter to the top of the world. Acting, directing, character development all first rate. Yes it's a boxing movie but much more it's a story of the human spirit, the family and human triumph against the worst odds (literally...when the main character fights for the world championship he was the biggest underdog in heavyweight history).
December 5, 2015
Film vividly recreates the Depression era America. Performances are great, boxing fights staged very cleverly. Good film
½ November 17, 2015
This is a solid underdog boxing movie, basically a true story version of 'Rocky'. Crowe and Zellweger have a decent chemistry and although it's going for low hanging fruit with the lump in the throat moments it pretty much succeeds. Perfect for a long flight!
½ October 18, 2015
Personally one of the 5 best films I have ever seen. It is a very inspiring story, but I believe that it would have been better if the boxing was choreographed better. And this movie reminded me why Russell Crowe is my favorite actor of all time.
September 27, 2015
Director Ron Howard displays his usual gift of telling an effective "based on a true event" story with this film. Strong writing and performances makes one care about the characters and their experiences.