Cinema Verite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cinema Verite Reviews

½ October 21, 2012
Its an interesting story, perhaps would have been better as a book.
October 10, 2012
Despite strong performances from Robbins and lane, "verite," never really transcends from "made for tv" quality.
October 9, 2012
This one caught my attention because of the always lovely Diane Lane, but after reading about it I was truly curious to see what the very first look at 'reality television' was truly like, especially back in the '70s when things were a lot more shocking than the crap we've become desensitized to these days.

Worth a look, but honestly never went anywhere I didn't expect it to go.

Rental?
½ August 19, 2012
Great performance Especially by Tim Robbins and Thomas Dekker.
½ July 24, 2012
An interesting insight into the reality of morals. Diane lane is a breath of fresh air on screen. James G somehow captivates the heart of it all with his alternate motivations to capture such a "reality" . And Robbins is solid. How this didn't make the cinema is a disgrace. It's the first ever reality tv show of today's obsession! This family is the 'modern family' many watch yesterday, today and will tomorrow.

If anything, manipulation - self search and family are key to this story. Well done for the seventies! Bravo!
½ July 15, 2012
Not bad for the first "real" reality TV!!!
½ July 10, 2012
muy buenas actaciones de diane laane y Jame Gandolfini tren a la vida la historia del primer reality show que escandalizo a america y a la familia que casi destruyo
June 18, 2012
Finally a movie worth watching while I've been on maternity leave! Excellent docudrama ... Hats off to Diane Lane, Tim Robbins and James Gandolfini ...
June 17, 2012
I thought it was a very powerful film. I thought it represented a lot of what happened with "the family" in the 70s and had to wonder if the show made people more comfortable in leaving bad marriages at the time. Overall, I thought the film was definitely worth watching.
June 16, 2012
the birth of reality tv revolving around a seemingly together American family, revealing their private moments for the public to tear it all apart. What todays culture is all about and our fascination with sensationalism & the core value that bonds us all together. James Gandolfini is phenomenal as is Diane Lane.
½ May 21, 2012
Great, engrossing documentary so of course I liked this film. Would have been nice to see more of the aftermath. Love me some Diane Lane.
May 20, 2012
This is worth checking out. 70s true story. Reality TV origins
May 20, 2012
The performances from the great cast make this an engaging behind the scenes look at the making of the first reality TV show based on an American family.
May 18, 2012
Highly entertaining behind-the-scenes account of the first family of reality TV. Diane Lane's performance is a knockout.
May 10, 2012
An uneven but interesting film from HBO about the behind-the-scenes making of the first family reality TV show. The acting from all is strong, especially Tim Robbins, but the writing sometimes lets them down, with some stilted dialogue. I did like the film's use of archival footage, which was often more compelling, but felt its integration was inconsistent. What really made the film work, however, was the authentic dynamics between those involved, and the especially thought provoking end of the film, exploring the show's aftermath.

3/5 Stars
½ May 7, 2012
Shocking, interesting, brave, beautiful, and at times...revolting. So crazy to see how points of view can be shifted so easily and drastically. There's also a twist in it that I didn't see coming... the guy you hate all throughout you end up pitying, and the guy you start off rooting for, you end up despising. Also, another heartfelt performance by Lane.
April 26, 2012
Om den første reality tv-serien laget i amerika på 70 tallet. Litt interessant, men kunne ønske de hadde brukt litt mer av orginalfilmingen.
April 22, 2012
So glad to see the genesis of reality television.
April 12, 2012
I just cannot believe that I have never heard of the first reality tv family! I thought this was a really well acted, well shot, and well written movie. It drew me in emotionally and really had me empathizing with the characters. I loved it.
March 18, 2012
Just saw Cinema Verite about the first real life soap "an American family". I thought it was interesting movie.