Citadel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Citadel Reviews

½ August 21, 2016
Starts out really well, but falls apart later. Has really likeable protagonists and the creatures are interesting in the early stages.
½ June 3, 2016
I almost let some bad reviews stop my from watching Citadel, but I'm glad I didn't, 'cause personally? I fuckin' loved it. Very reminiscent of Heartless, but a more horror-conforming plot.
½ February 28, 2016
Not too bad. I probably won't watch it again, but it was a good little shut-your-brain-off kinda movie.
February 2, 2016
i heard it got good reviews. horror film. preview looks sceery.
January 2, 2016
Effective, but it didn't really make sense, I felt, and it didn't meet its potential.
February 11, 2015
The Panic-atacks were well done , the rest of the movie not that scary or something , 15 minutes after the movie i was forgotten how did end , not a good sign ...or am i losing my short-term memory ?
½ September 2, 2014
Good first half, HORRIBLE second half.
August 22, 2014
"Citadel" is a Irish film directed by Cairan Foy that follows a young father through is journey into darkness as he battles despair and tragedy. After the senseless death of the mother of his child which forces the baby into the world prematurely the father soon faces a nightmare even greater in his quest to provide a life for his child. He struggles with agoraphobia and social anxiety which he soon confronts as he comes face to face with the dangerous youths that terrorize the neighborhood. The film stars Aneurin Barnard, Wunmi Mosaku, Amy Shields, James Cosmo and Jake Wilson. It is a deep social commentary which plays out in horrendous exaggeration of society at it's most basic breakdown.

"Citadel" delves deep into the dark and sinister realm of social collapse. As a neighborhood goes through slow rehabilitation a twisted reality unfolds. Savage and untamed youths lay siege to a tower block in the community killing anyone who crosses their path and stealing the children. The story has a sort of melancholic atmosphere which pulls at your emotions as it draws you into the story. It flows from moments of casual melodrama and intense suspensefulness that makes most of the scenes feel for intense than they really are. It creates an almost nervous anticipation for during most of the film. It is a truly dark story which expresses a lot of emotion and desperation as a movie goer watching the story unfold that is an added bonus. The revealing cause of the vicious nature of the youths terrorizing the community is truly sinister but could have been played up a little more than it is in the movie. There is a slight imbalance between the slower more emotional scenes and the intense thrill scenes. However not enough of an issue to not find this movie pleasurable. It is disturbing and kind of twisted. I really enjoyed the more vulnerable and heartfelt approach to horror this film takes.
August 18, 2014
If you don't like slow-burn, bare-bones horror, "Citadel" is not for you. But if you do, you're in for a tough, scary little ride. This Irish film from director Ciaran Foy benefits from urban dread, mood, and some pretty great scares, plus a highly effective performance of paranoia and fear from newcomer Aneurin Barnard.
July 14, 2014
For its faults, Citadel is at times tense and scary. Flawed but the successes almost outweigh it's shortcomings.
½ June 6, 2014
Rewarding low budget horror, delivering some unique monsters along the way.
June 1, 2014
Not a classic, by any stretch, but a good thriller. Decent pacing with a pleasantly lean plot unencumbered by fluff or filler.
May 9, 2014
You have to really focus on this movie to understand and feel the fear. Otherwise this movie is nothing. Quite well done to make you feel the suspense and the fright.
½ May 2, 2014
Very simple film yet it was a powerful story!!
½ April 22, 2014
Apart from the final chapter, which creates a rather silly mythos for the 'feral children' and overexplains things to death, this is quite a gem. I found the acting rather convincing, the mood and suspense tangible, the setting unique and truly drab, and the internal drama compelling. It's almost a drama-horror in the best ways.
April 16, 2014
Decent acting and a decent setting starts a movie with a lot of potential but the ending act is a bit convoluted and anti climactic.
½ March 30, 2014
Interesting film but got boring at some parts. Worth a watch though.
March 30, 2014
Not too bad. Aneurin Barnard gives an excellent performance in the lead. It's pretty disturbing, though the final act introduces a lot of zero-hour retro-exposition, to a degree that strains credulity at crucial narrative moments. Moreover, the sounds the evil children make kind of remind me of the tomatoes in Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. But it looks good and has some nice horror setpieces. It's no classic, but I'm not sorry I watched it.
½ March 6, 2014
Dunno why, I felt so annoyed when watching this.
February 28, 2014
If you're looking for big budget special effects this is not the movie for you but if you're after something more claustrophobic and disturbing, playing on modern beliefs about customs and morality then Citadel is worthy of 90 minutes of your time...