City by the Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City by the Sea Reviews

½ March 16, 2015
3/16/2014: Other than the very good cast, this was a very dull and uninteresting movie.
½ March 3, 2015
A surprisingly restrained performance by Bob Deniro is a welcome one, but isn't enough to turn this thick melodrama into something great. It's a shame Caton-Jones dwelled for so long (3 years) in the editing room on how to perfect City by the Sea, becoming depressed in the process and calling it the "low-point" of his career, only to muster this vapid schmaltz. The fact that the film is apparently based on true events is the only thing that saved it from becoming one big cliche. It's not a terrible film, I never wanted to turn it off, but the amount of talent involved left me feeling jilted.
October 28, 2014
It is your average American Joe police thriller but also it is a family drama that does provide some emotion to it and De Niro does well in his usual role as a well respected cop it could have been better but I have seen worse
September 17, 2014
Great Movie I loved it!
September 1, 2014
I only rated this a 3 because of De Niro
½ July 13, 2014
Too much melodrama with a decent cast. Seems like a cable tv flick rather than a fully cooked feature. I think the fault is in direction, and perhaps in better hands, it could have been a little better. Otherwise, not memorable a bit.
June 27, 2014
Really good crime drama and a redemptive story abut not repeating one's mistake's. An excellent cast all give really poignant performances.
May 30, 2014
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time.
May 27, 2014
I got to say that "City by the Sea" is surprisingly a good movie. "It's gripping and intense." The performances in this movie are fine. "Robert De Niro is outstanding. And James Franco gives a remarkable performances in this movie." The directing by Michael Caton-Jones is good. The screenplay by Ken Hixon and Frank R. Pierson is good as well. And the score in this movie is very mellow.
½ May 19, 2014
This was just an okay crime drama despite a more than decent cast. Based on a true story Robert De Niro plays a detective whose estranged and drug addicted son is a suspect in a murder investigation (played brilliantly by James Franco) Turns out De Niro's father was a bad man too. 11.13
½ March 30, 2014
Slow-paced, but the story kept me interested for its duration. Slightly disappointed in the climax of the film, but there weren't too many different ways to have taken it, either. One of the better acted movies I can remember, and perhaps DeNiro's finest hour.
½ March 3, 2014
Deniros strong performance can't overcome the fact this movie is full of family cliches, and a very predictable direction. The ending is sort of entertaining and emotional in the sense of family but it's something we have seen many times before. Deniros kid played by James Franco is accused of murder leaving deniro with questions. At the same time we learn that he abandoned franco when young to add tension to the situation. Nothing original here.
½ February 17, 2014
3 3/4's--I rather liked this for what it's worth. Not a big blockbuster movie. A little slow, but it contains some really good actors...minus William Forsythe. I cringe when I see him in movies. All in all, this was an interesting film, and it was a lot better than I had anticipated. Excellent performances by both De Niro, Franco, and Mc Dormand.
February 10, 2014
An average thriller.
February 9, 2014
City By The Sea is an enjoyable film. Robert De Niro's acting is good. I give this flick 3 stars.
½ January 22, 2014
Far from Deniro's best; still a decent cop/suspense drama. The supporting cast does a fine job of holding together a weak script.
½ September 12, 2013
no review here. would like to watch again someday.
½ August 18, 2013
A film, partly a cop thriller, partly a family drama, that stays on the surface despite great actors. I can't really pinpoint what went wrong but, apart from James Franco's performance, none of the performances are moving or interesting.
June 22, 2013
1 of the finest movies & performances .... I've seen !
½ April 19, 2013
Again a movie that I loved that is underrated by some many people! Great casting with Robert De Niro and James Franco as the troubled son.