City Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City Island Reviews

½ September 28, 2016
I think never the song "Dollhouse" fitted so well to a movie till I see this one here! Everyone has secrets and lies, and they can't even notice that how much more they try hide them to protect themselves, more they make it worse. A really good comedy with a lot to think and reflect at the end of it. Even with Ezra character doesn't have much prominence (he is the main reason I wanted to watch) it was really worth it.
½ August 28, 2016
Over the top dysfunctions the max, City Island is a slow build up but a good character based dramedy with a talented cast. The Rizzo family is as dysfunctional as they come, each member with a big secret of their own. Vince is a prison guard, but also secretly wants to be an actor and pretends to play poker to cover for it. He also has a son from another woman who is in jail, and commutes the kid's sentence without him or Vince's family knowing. The daughter and son also have some secrets, and the film builds steadily to frustrating levels until it explodes in the middle of the street. Its a decent mix of drama and comedy because the actors and actresses are likeable, and never gets too out of hand.
August 8, 2016
It was a pretty interesting film... that whole family was definitely "different" to say the least.
August 7, 2016
This was good. Funny and charming with lots of interesting characters. Well done.
March 13, 2016
Wonderful plot develops with the viewer having the inside story. A comedy in the traditional sense, yet also in the modern sense. Margolis showed her diversity after years of ER. The entire cast was excellent. It also shows why communication is so important in a family.
March 6, 2016
I usually groan at the prospect of watching "Look at my crazy New Yawk family" style comedies, but I enjoyed this.
January 3, 2016
an enjoyable comedy drama about a dysfunctional family. you feel the pressure and suspense build as you wonder how is this all going to play out? great one liners and dark humour.
October 8, 2015
Solid little movie, and also a little weird. The subplots are all pretty terrible, though. Andy Garcia is solid, but I couldn't help to keep seeing Bobby Cannavale in the role instead.
½ August 23, 2015
Ezra Miller recovers quite a bit for this piece.
½ August 2, 2015
Excelente comedia protagonizada por Andy Garc√¬≠a y Julianna Marguiles (The Good Wife). Los enredos y mentiras en las que se meten los protagonistas resultan en una historia por dem√¬°s entretenida, divertida y hasta aleccionadora.√,¬†
Con un excelente gui√¬≥n, mejores actuaciones y situaciones que parecen imposibles, es de lo mejor que he visto √¬ļltimamente.
½ July 26, 2015
Excelente comedia protagonizada por Andy García y Julianna Marguiles (The Good Wife). Los enredos y mentiras en las que se meten los protagonistas resultan en una historia por demás entretenida, divertida y hasta aleccionadora.
Con un excelente gui√≥n, mejores actuaciones y situaciones que parecen imposibles, es de lo mejor que he visto √ļltimamente.
½ May 22, 2015
Very heartwarming movie! It works. :) I loved it.
May 22, 2015
What a great movie. Always love Margulies, and Alan Arkin as the acting teacher was awesome. Go Team De Felitta!
½ January 29, 2015
Movie with a lot of warmth and humor.
January 20, 2015
Families really need to talk more. At least over Whats app or something...
½ January 13, 2015
Enjoyable American Commedia all'Italiana: family, crys, tears, kisses and at the end we eat all together! ;)
August 25, 2014
I actually enjoyed this movie. It sounded lame and all but it was actually really really funny and I laughed for the whole time.
July 27, 2014
It premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City on April 26, 2009. The title refers to the Bronx's City Island, where the film is set.

Received the First Place Audience Award at the Tribeca Film Festival.
½ July 12, 2014
The smartest and funniest adult comedy I've seen since 'Little Miss Sunshine.' Easily one of the best films of the year. The story is a slow brew that, by the end, explodes with humor and heartache.
½ May 22, 2014
so funny. so honest. fresh story. loved it