City Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City Island Reviews

February 25, 2014
Yet another dark comedy, this one showing a more realistic family, that I extremely enjoyed. This is a brilliant film, absolutely amazing and well written with astonishing performances by its actors. The realistic feel to the film just makes it better. This film gets a round of applause.
½ December 30, 2013
Fiery, loud, and funny! Everyone in the Rizzo family harbors secrets: smoking, stripping, stealing. They're hinted at in cute, little montages, and then they explode in a huge, Greek climax that shouldn't work in a creative writing sense, but the humor and absurdity of it all is a juggernaut that compels the audience to just roll with it.

I only know Andy Garcia from "The Godfather III" and "Will & Grace," in both of which he played tough, smarmy guys, so I was really impressed with his insecure, sad-sack dad/wannabe actor. I'm always a little bit annoyed at Emily Mortimer - so dainty and puckered - but even more so in this film since she gets all the quirky, pretentious lines. *Spoilers* Furthermore, I watched this movie again on DVD with subtitles on, and they indicate that Molly changes her British accent to American preceding her confession. I couldn't tell the difference at all when I saw this in the theatre without subtitles, which makes me wonder how Mortimer gets cast for so many American roles!
½ December 21, 2013
Terrific. Pretty funny, lots of fun, great execution, and it nails the ending.
December 12, 2013
Enjoyable little slice-of-life comedy with a hilarious final act. While it's safe to say Andy Garcia was fantastic, the entire cast deliver credible performances.
December 6, 2013
Not the most hilarious comedy out there, but it doesn't intend to be. Fun and occasionally touching, but what really makes this movie is the cast, who give some truly lovely performances.
November 22, 2013
liked it - awkward comedy
November 12, 2013
Wonderful. Loved it...
November 12, 2013
I love this movie. Juliana is amazing. This movie really touches the heart strings
½ October 24, 2013
City Island is an intricately concocted comedy showcasing how dysfunctional/ill-communicating relationships can create a multitude of problems; though the script is less than fantastic, its cast make up for it with a realistic portrayal of a family caught up in a twisted plot of half-truths and good intentions.
½ September 28, 2013
Quite entertaining with a few good cringes.
July 24, 2013
great comedy/drama movie with a a really good plot, good script and superb acting.
July 5, 2013
Not bad. Overall a good movie.
½ June 29, 2013
3.5/5 Really funny and better than average, but something was just off...watch it anyway!
June 26, 2013
Fantastic movie, I enjoyed every second of it! And Steven Strait is sooooo damn hot in this one!
½ June 10, 2013
Extremely funny! Andy Garcia is comical in a handsome way :)
June 5, 2013
Funny,alittle quirky and does not insult your intelligence.....feel good movie.
½ May 31, 2013
A hilarious character study that truly shines--This family redefines the word "dysfunctional"!!
April 25, 2013
nice movie! there are so many secrets in one family between family members and they are so scared to let others know them. so it needs couple people from the side to give a push and come out clean!
April 21, 2013
Andy Garcia breathes humor throughout this movie.
½ April 18, 2013
This dysfunctional family comedy turned into something quite good.