City of Ghosts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City of Ghosts Reviews

June 14, 2015
All the elements are here but the pace and script submarine Dillon's best efforts.
½ May 3, 2015
Dillon and Caan's acting is decent. The star of the film is Cambodia, especially Bokor Hill Station (R=Point). Not bad direction from Dillon, but he never directed another movie. Too long.

"A long, winding, but decently layered modern film noir."

- Kathy Cano Murillo, Arizona Republic

"Can be criticized of many things, but wasting locations and local talent is not one of them."

- Dragan Antulov, Draxblog Movie Reviews
March 22, 2015
Matt Dillon and James Caan where phenomenal. Too bad the average movie goer isn't into this genre or style of movie.
September 15, 2014
86%

"I've got enough bad karma to last me six life times."-Jimmy (Matt Dillon)

Locations, locations. Sok was the shit.

"Look, I told you, you reach a point where you can't change. You're the way you're gonna be for the rest of you're goddamn life, and that goes for you too."-Marvin (James Caan)
May 4, 2014
May2014, very disappointed
March 21, 2014
good crime drama and matt dillon's directorial debut
½ January 3, 2014
This is a great first film from talented actor turned director here Matt Dillon. The film is an incredible journey of a con man fleeing the US to come settle down in Cambodia where his mentor is trying to pass a deal with the local authorities to get a massive resort build on the beach. The film is absolutely magnificent, extremely well shot, done with a lot of taste respect & passion for the Cambodian culture. Dillon directs & stars in this great film.
September 23, 2012
As horrible humans can be to each other, there always someone out there willing to do an act of selfless kindness. Great direction by Dillon.
½ June 7, 2012
Historia sobre un estafador que desarrolla una conciencia, partiendo en búsqueda de limpiarla a Camboya a buscar a su socio timador, en el camino se va a enamorar, aprenderá el valor de la amistad y emprendera un camino sin retorno hacia una nueva vida. A ratos lenta, pero en general buena. Hace mucho que no veía a James Caan hacer nada.
½ February 22, 2012
I like this film. It is atmospheric and it has a great sound track. The duality of life, not just Asia, but in individuals.
½ January 27, 2012
I saw clips of the movie looks excellent reminds me of some of the places we went to in Asia when I was in the service,
September 10, 2011
interesting adventure throughout Phnom Penh...not a great movie but set in Cambodia with Depardieu so...
September 4, 2011
a bit off-the-wall but I enjoyed it.
July 20, 2011
Matt Dillion starred in and directed this atmospheric and interesting noir piece. It has many good moments, seemingly promising more than it ultimately delivers. The biggest drawback is it's meandering nature, never quite hitting the notes it wants to. A multitude to plots are served up, but never satisfactorily seen through. Still, I really enjoyed the film's sense of place, captured through some great cinematography.
½ May 18, 2011
Great images of cambodia, predictable ending.
½ April 4, 2011
This movie has the most beautiful scenery that i've never seen; it has a few problems with some things but its good.
½ November 25, 2010
Music ruled, atmosphere dominates. My cup of tea.
November 22, 2010
For me this one gets at least 4 stars. Plenty of tragedy, great location and a haunting sound track. Good use of Dengae Fever and others from Cambodian Rock of the 70s. Smaller roles are well cast and well played.
Other critiques?
November 8, 2010
Though it's perspective still retains the common white man's burden as seen through the eyes of the ignable taurist, the film does effectively portray the sense of death and life inherant within cambodia's dark history and spiritual atmosphere. You can't help but feel a sense of intence guilt over the moral wasteland that is it's central characters. Summed up simply enough with James Khan's Kareoke horror tragedy that obtained a strange cathartic sadness for me. I like Matt Dillon and Overall I enjoyed it and it ended with an up beat tone which echoed elements of hope.
September 23, 2010
I swear for the first forty five minutes all this movie seemed to be about was Gerard Depardux as an angry bartender yelling at everybody. After about fourty five minutes I wished this movie was about Gerard Depardux as an agry bartender yelling at everybody. Slow and pointless, filmed in what seemed to be a constant haze, I quickly stopped caring about any of the characters. I had hopes for Matt Dillons directorial debut. Oh well, at least he is making a comeback in the acting arena.