City of Ghosts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City of Ghosts Reviews

½ August 8, 2010
i had no idea of what was going on in this movie cuz it was really boring aka i didnt like it
May 23, 2010
Interesting story but very slow, acting is great & Don said the ending was very good
April 1, 2010
good kinda noirish drama.
February 23, 2010
I remember the music more than the story... hmm.
September 5, 2009
Fantastic film. Talk about capturing a time and a place...wow.
½ August 28, 2009
There were some good elements to this film ? yet it didn?t quite work for me. Enjoyed Matt Dillan (and of course he Directed this film also), loved the not so typical choice of using Cambodia as the backdrop to the story and really enjoyed the music too. Pretty natural performances all around. For me the downfall lay not in the actual plot, but in the actual story of corruption ? I felt it was weak, confusing and slow moving at times, it was more of a working progress.
May 24, 2009
Dillon commands centre-stage in a self-serving performance that strays way beyond vanity, leaving next to no room for his wasted cast and taking little advantage of Cambodia's romantic ruin.
April 20, 2009
Boring. I like Matt Dillon and James Caan but this just seemed to go on and on...I never have wanted to go to Thailand and this movie confirmed that thought - omg - the music - brutal. I also found that there was absolutely no chemistry between Matt Dillon and the girl he ended up with.
½ March 24, 2009
Another film in which too many people get killed for any conceivable realism. If this number of people were killed in Cambodia it would practically be world news. Typecast laughing Russian thugs, typecast brutal Cambodians, square jawed American anti-hero making good in paint-stripped Asia. Can it get much worse?

Such a shame too, because the basic idea is good. With a director of the calibre of Peter Weir, this could have been a first class film about greed, culture, uncertainty and fear. Instead it steadily degenerates into a stunningly obvious plot with a silly ending. As Arthur Lazere says on culturevulture, this should disappear down one of the many holes in its plot.

If you wonder why I watched it, in Kuwait of an evening there is little choice...

Why isn't there a film style censor somewhere to stop this stuff being made?
February 18, 2009
Kolla istället på Ghost Town. Fantastiskt roligt med killen från the Office.
February 16, 2009
Probably looked good on paper. As a film it's surprisingly uninteresting.
February 4, 2009
I've seen this movie 3 times now, and discover new bits in it every time. Contrary to some of the comments below, I think the plot is good, but the direction makes it too vague. Some of the cinematography is poor, but some is stunning. A bit like Cambodia itself!
January 3, 2009
I thought that the plot was very poor and unconvincing as was acting. It is a shame for such cast to be wasted due to serious problems with the script, meaning that the story is difficult to follow and vague. Also, the characters were not developed enought to be able to create a quality movie.
October 14, 2008
Cambodia and Matt Dillon. A suprisingly good combination.
½ October 12, 2008
an enjoyable flick. enjoyed the Cambodian setting but then again I have fond memories of Cambodia. Travel a bit of time though the area and you quickly know all of these characters. I swear Depardieu's character is based on someone I know in Siem Reap.
½ September 15, 2008
OKAY.

A Bit Slow..
½ September 8, 2008
I enjoyed the setting and music in this movie, even some of the cinematography was quite good. Otherwise, the acting and story was shit house!
½ August 25, 2008
I liked this if not just for Matt Dillion and the great scenery (Cambodia).
August 8, 2008
A great movie, matt dillon did such a superb job on everything!