City of Ghosts Reviews

• Apr 05, 2018

Great story, but a horrible documentary...more than half of the movie is people sitting around in rooms looking at their phones...fell asleep a couple of times (just like the guy in the movie).

• Mar 08, 2018

A close look at one of the most tragic and disgusting terrorist acts in modern history, and a holy war which still rages to this day, City Of Ghosts attempts to shed light on a part of the world being completely ignored by mainstream media. The RBSS group are an incredible brave bunch, reaching out for help in a climate which would see their heads blown off if the stretch too high above their shelter. The documentary flags somewhere towards the idle, when it takes a bizarre digress and gets almost completely off topic. The best parts are the hidden camera footage, because they expose the grim and brutal truth without editing or filter, cutting right to the cold hard fact that a once peaceful city has been brought to its knees by savagery and corrupted faith. Not always consistently engaging, but definitely a worthwhile watch, especially if you have any interest in the ongoing crisis.

• Mar 04, 2018

With the advent of technology, ISIS now has the capability to produce slick, glossy recruitment videos with a Hollywood sheen - making these journalists' work even more important. This is a painful, brutal, devastating documentary that leaves one furious at the evil that men perpetuate, and highlights the absolute essential nature of a free press. Bewarned: There are beheaded bodies, crucifixions, point-blank executions, and, perhaps most disturbing of all, a toddler decked out in military garb, beaming proudly as she beheads a large stuffed animal in a murder lesson.

• Feb 23, 2018

Fav doc of 2017. Another one snubbed. ???????

Fav doc of 2017. Another one snubbed. ???????

• Jan 28, 2018

More people need to see this, horrific in parts but really eye opening

More people need to see this, horrific in parts but really eye opening

• Nov 18, 2017

I understand Syria so much more now

I understand Syria so much more now

• Nov 01, 2017

City of Ghosts is genuinely heartbreaking, but incredibly inspiring. Constantly makes you think "Why aren't we doing more?" Excellent documentary. It's thrilling and challenging. Beautiful cinematography in a grim world. On Amazon Prime now.

• Oct 26, 2017

Intense documentary focusing on the Caliphation of Raqqa by ISIS, and how a small group of Syrian journalists, launched a damaging, yet dangerous, propaganda campaign against the occupying forces. Filling the power vacuum left by the civil war, Daesh became an ensconced army, cutting off all access to the outside world, prohibiting media from reporting on the atrocities being carried out on the local populace. This documentary follows the small group of journalists, known collectively as 'Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently', as they attempt to educate the outside world on the barbaric acts being carried out on civilians in their home city, armed only with cell phones and laptops. Their power and influence becomes so intense, that ISIS focus all their efforts on finding the men, forcing them to flee to neighbouring countries to carry on their work. They soon find out that they aren't safe anywhere, as more and more family members and friends, are murdered by ISIS, in an attempt to draw them out. Where the documentary works best, is when it highlights the danger these young reporters face, no matter how many safe-houses they move between, all throughout Europe, as the reach of ISIS extends across Europe, spreading a fear of immigrants and refugees, ultimately inflaming radicalisation and inciting hatred. It also serves as a reminder on how powerful propaganda can be during war - Daesh stop at nothing in their attempts to find these men, giving them far more attention than any opposition soldier on the ground. An eye-opening watch for sure, especially for those with limited knowledge on the Syrian conflict.

• Oct 15, 2017

"City of Ghosts" is a haunting documentary that reminds us all that we should take the freedom of the press seriously because in places like Syria, it is dangerous and tragic to have this right taken away. Thumbs way up. One of the best movies of the year.

• Oct 03, 2017

I found this film so intense and brilliant! You're finally given insight into people who are not part of the regime but fighting against. I was heart struck and heartbroken many times during this film. We live in a world surrounded by the bad of isis and "muslims", I was brought to tears to see what a strong brotherhood they had for doing good and exposing the bad. Their story is so powerful during this documentary. We all have an obligation to watch this as a reminder of the way we quietly judge or live in fear of "them". This movie Is so important to remind us that we're all the same! Powerfully poignant!! Hard for the American mind/eye to see, which makes it even more relevant!