City of Joy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City of Joy Reviews

½ April 6, 2015
Well intentions but as a dramatic actor Swayze's just not up to it.
½ June 1, 2014
While a little unfocused at times, this last hurrah from the once great Joffe is still a very, very fine drama. Grade-A performances, especially Puri as a struggling father, a stirring yet uplifting score by the always great Morricone, and careful splashes of viscerality and grit elevate this production.
March 8, 2014
great! however, it was hard to understand Indian accents. but still highly recommend!
February 24, 2013
Why was this recommended to me?
½ September 2, 2012
well made, but missing something
½ May 4, 2012
This movie will at times test your emotions!!! Very sad movie!
December 17, 2011
Fantastic movie. The story line is capturing and attacks the human heart.
½ May 10, 2011
uplifting. a little over done by swayze in parts, but quite good.
½ May 3, 2011
a very inspiring movies.. I'm trying to find its DVD in Indonesia but not succesful yet, anybody can help?
April 5, 2011
You really have to be in the mood to watch this. I can be depressing at times. But it is still one of Patrick Swayze's best movies.
March 11, 2011
Pretty good movie. Not incredible, but good.
October 22, 2010
Quite an interesting, offbeat film for the late great Patrick Swayze. One of kind, special film that came and went in Hollywood, but is well worth the watch.

The story really hits hard on the mentalty of poverty not just the physical aspects. Many of the characters that inhabit this film are mentally so limited by what they think they can do, Swayze opens their minds and they in turn help him.

There are many powerful themes presented, and I found it quite a thought provoking film indeed. Really makes you think what can I do in this world?
October 13, 2010
what a powerful, up lifting and real film. I felt there was a really great story there i liked how the film focused on the two different characters and there different story's which in the end become one story. All the actors where really good especially the late great Patrick Swayze and Om Puri. It just shows how there are a lot of people in need around the world and how lucky we are to live in Austarlia. Inspiring but a little hard to watch it was so real that it was like watchin a doco rather than a film which gave the film something different

I think that is the most important thimng in life to help people in need rather tahn just focusing on ourself's in saying that this type of work in the film is not for everyone. Find out how you can help people and do it.
September 29, 2010
Meh. It wasn't a bad movie, but it didn't have that special something that would have made it truly good. Having just read Dominique LaPierre's book, I was actually rather disappointed once again in Hollywood's inability to stick to a story without changing it around to suit the tastes of the audience. I find that the conversion from book to movie dumbed down the real meaning of the work. If I hadn't read the book so recently, maybe I'd feel better about having watched this, but as it is, I wasn't all that impressed.
September 6, 2010
funny and touching. Patrick Swayze is completely out of his melodramatic Ghost persona
May 26, 2010
It is a rather predictable story, and I think the role is a little over the head of Patrick Swayze, but he does give it a good effort, Beautiful location filming in Calcutta, India and the cinematography is fine. Nicely developed characters, but they don?t always ring true. It?s also a little overlong, a little more editing would have helped.
May 26, 2010
60/100. It is a rather predictable story, and I think the role is a little over the head of Patrick Swayze, but he does give it a good effort, Beautiful location filming in Calcutta, India and the cinematography is fine. Nicely developed characters, but they don't always ring true. It's also a little overlong, a little more editing would have helped.
March 29, 2010
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!Yeah!!!!!!!!!
March 20, 2010
AN AMERICAN DOCTOR,STRANDED IN INDIA MAKES FRIENDS WITH AN IRISH NUN AND THE PEOPLE SHE CARES FOR IN A POOR NEIGHBORHOOD KNOWN IRONICALLY AS THE CITY OF JOY.