City Slickers 2 - The Legend of Curly's Gold - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City Slickers 2 - The Legend of Curly's Gold Reviews

½ April 13, 2016
Let me start right off in saying that three reasons I enjoyed this film have absolutely nothing to do with cinema, and all three comprise the fine TV work I saw, while growing up in Canada in the 70's and 80's, that the stars Billy Crystal, Jack Palance and Jon Lovitz had made, in 'Soap', 'Ripley's Believe It or Not' and 'Saturday Night Live', respectively. I haven't even bothered seeing the original yet (the more highly-regarded work that surprisingly won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Palance).

I cared not a single whit about the plot--it was just fun watching the stars interact and riff off of each other. I did feel that the direction lagged in places, and perhaps a more objective editor could have sliced 10-15 minutes off and no one would have been the wiser. Not bad considering it was a sequel--it's worth a couple of watches, though I'm not surprised, and I'm a tad relieved, that no more of them were made.
½ April 13, 2016

April 19, 2015
Snickered twice.....comedy,what comedy?
½ March 21, 2015
Though it doesn't quite compare to its predecessor, City Slickers II offers a comic return for Billy Crystal and Daniel Stern and one of the last and finer performances by Jack Palance.
½ February 19, 2015
We have a sequel to 1991's amazing City Slickers. While this movie is just as enjoyable as the first, it's not necessarily at the same level technically. But we have a treasure hunt that the characters go on, and who can complain about that? The themes are a little more buried, but the story about brotherhood is what this film is really about.

Jon Lovitz is a great addition to the cast as he provides another banana to Billy Crystal's smiling straight-man. And we're always glad they figured out a way to bring back Jack Palance--but this time as Curly's twin brother, Duke.

The film is never predictable, although it borrows some from previous westerns. But that just adds to the partial satire that this movie is.

It may not make you weep a little like the first one, and there isn't as much at stake, but with a fantastic cast, you could be entertained watching them fly a kite.

Twizard Rating: 88
August 24, 2014
A good sequel with same energy and hilarity, and almost the same warmth with minor predictability. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
August 16, 2014
(First viewing - In my early twenties)
June 22, 2014
Fun '90s crap. It's lazy at times and certainly isn't going to break any molds, but City Slickers 2 still digs up some laughs.
½ May 10, 2014
One of the worst sequels ever made.
½ January 24, 2014
Talk about a lackluster sequel... rehash of the original, which would have been tolerable if they had incorporated at least half the charm of the original. But no... this is what we have. Well, at least Jack Palance returns for some entertaining moments.
January 8, 2014
The city folk return to the Wild West in City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold. After discovering a treasure map in Curly's hat, Mitch takes his best friend and his brother on a treasure hunt in the Nevada desert. Unfortunately, the writing is especially weak, and lacks the sincerity and cleverness of the original. The acting is also fairly subpar; trying to recapture the chemistry of the first film, but failing miserably. Overly contrived and formulaic, City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold has some entertaining moments but it lacks the free spirit and heart of the original.
November 9, 2013
Three stars just for it music. Dont watch the movie. hear the soundtrack
October 18, 2013
A cheap, weary, exhausting waste of time. Its like the city slicker TV special or something.. Ehh.
September 9, 2013
Mild fun with a nice cinematic soundtrack.
September 8, 2013
Pretty lame and pointless (also stupid) sequel to the Crystal-lead comedy "City Slickers". You get a goofy plot about a lost treasure, Palance returns as his original character's twin, and with Kirby not returning (good for him) and being replaced with Jon Lovitz...you just find it hard to enjoy as much as the first one. First flick is okay, skip the awful sequel.
½ April 27, 2013
So Curly had a twin that nobody knew about...?
March 9, 2013
Nowhere near as funny as the first.
March 7, 2013
"Mitch Robbins" (Billy Crystal) is turning the "Big 4-O" and is happy with his life. He then comes across a map hidden in the hat given to him by the late "Curly", which appears to lead to a buried treasure somewhere out west.

As he tries to keep the map a secret between him and his friend and co-worker "Phil Berquist" (Daniel Stern), he begins to think he sees "Curly".

Now he, "Phil" and his ("Mitch") lazy brother, "Glen", who can quote the "Godfather" movies by heart secretly go back to the area they met "Curly" to find his gold. But they come across somebody they never expected, who is also after the treasure -- "Curly's" identical twin brother, "Duke (Jack Palance, who also played "Curly" in the first film.

There are some pretty good performances in this film. Crystal is funny with the one-liners and zingers. Jon Levitz is good at playing a character he's usually cast in, he could have been a little more over-the-top to make his performance a little more memorable. Palance wasn't too memorable in this role, if you ask me. Like Levitz, he played this character like every other one I've seen him play on screen.

There was some beautiful scenery in this movie. It must have been impressive on the big screen when it came out to theaters. One scene which stood out was the stampede scene.

The movie is well paced, but some people may think it lags at times. The movie shows the three main characters ("Phil" and the "Robbins" brothers) bonding, which is really needed between the brothers, since one is successful and the other is not.

The majority of jokes are one-liners and zingers, with very little physical comedy. Many of the jokes will get you to laugh, but not bust a gut. Like I said before, Crystal is probably the best in the humor department in the film.

There is really no special effects in the movie that is worth mentioning. However, there is some good camera work, from scenery shots to one action scene (the previously mentioned stampede scene).

One thing I recommend you do is watch the first movie to familiarize yourself with the returning characters. I saw this movie on one of the movie channels because it was recommended by Yahoo Movies on my personalized recommendations list.

Personally, I think this would be a good rental.
February 4, 2013
Billy Crystal and Jack Palance are very funny.
January 22, 2013
Hell yes!!! I know everyone hates this one, but Jon Lovitz is HILARIOUS! Better cast this time around. Jack Palance rules as the twin brother.