Civic Duty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Civic Duty Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
January 2, 2014
Pretty effective thriller, Civic Duty starring Peter Krause is a low budget picture that manages to be entertaining from start to finish despite its limitations. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the film. Released in the years following 9/11, the film emphasizes on the paranoia at the time when America were in a state of vulnerability. The film is engaging a truly riveting from start to finish. Of course the film could have been improved upon, but for what it is, it's a well crafted film that manages to be far better than what you might think. Krause is great in the lead role, and the film overall relies on a good idea, but at the same time, we've seen better films dealing with similar subjects. Despite its limitations, Civic Duty is one of those movies that are quite engaging considering its budget and simple premise. There are moments in the film where it gets very intense, and you are sucked into its plot. I'll admit that a few times it was silly, but overall, I enjoyed the film, and thought it was a well directed and thrilling film that despite a few weak parts is a picture worth seeing if you enjoy the genre. Krause is a good actor, and his work on Six Feet Under is proof of that, and like I previously said, he is good in the film, and manages to make the film better than it is. For a low budget thriller, Civic Duty is one of the better ones, but it never does reach its full potential, and it somehow leaves you wanting a bit more. Worth seeing if you have nothing else better to do.
October 21, 2013
Awesome movie! I really enjoyed it and recommend it.
February 22, 2013
At times a tense and provocative thriller, Civic Duty struggles to move beyond its one-note premise.
November 30, 2012
Should have turned this off right after I saw the BC license plate on the car when it is suppose to be taking place in the US..Props Fail..DP Fail..Director Fail..Editor Fail.....was a sign of things to come. If you see this on Netflix...skip it!
½ September 24, 2012
I think the pre-constructed image of Muslims as Terrorists has become really old news .. but the movie was solid good though.
September 23, 2012
Starts out quite good. It's actually quite good until, like, the 60th minute where it goes over the top and stupid. The ending was almost as bad as Arlington Road's ending. But still, this is a much better film than AR. Too bad, because this was going to be a great film.
June 26, 2012
Odd but somewhat compelling.
½ May 15, 2012
Excellent [for what it is] post-911 paranoia thriller; but the final moment kind of defeats the purpose of the film.
May 5, 2012
Let's whip up some more hysteria... Not enough crazy people yet...
April 25, 2012
what could be a really interesting thriller fails to thrill.
½ March 3, 2012
entertaining small budget thriller...no must see
January 16, 2012
We love Peter Krause from Six Feet Under and, More recently, Parenthood fame, but this movie was slllooooowwwww...
October 2, 2011
it is really movie acts the feelings of west people
to ARAB PEOPLE specially THE EGYPTIONS
KHALED ABO ELNAGA in the character of arabic man
who lived besides an american man
and the american man has alot of doubts that the arabic man wants to kill him or exploe pomp
and he thinks that he is terrorist
but that is wrong........arab people are not terrorists
July 2, 2011
Let's whip up some more hysteria... Not enough crazy people yet...
March 14, 2011
I've seen this movie...twice. Released just five years after 9/11, it was probably not the worst movie to take a classic movie formula, successful already with Hitchcock's Rear Window and the more recent Disturbia, and add a political-terrorist twist. Man has time, man becomes suspicious of neighbor, hilarity ensues.

I really liked Krause in the first few seasons of Six Feet Under so DVRed this long ago. He does alright as the lead, a man who has just lost his job and has too much time and maybe some mental problems. Matchett is attractive and holy cow does she look fantastic in a pair of jeans. But her hair makes me want ramen noodles real bad.

Anyway, knowing the previous two movies of the like, I thought it felt predictable. Then again, it's hard to do something three times and it was pretty low-budget, so I thought maybe a surprise was around the corner. Maybe there was or maybe there wasn't depending on your take, but definitely not the big surprise I thought might happen.

Actually, the movie turned out to be pretty safe. It would have been unacceptable for a well-to-do white guy to just be a racist psychopath. I thought Naga's speech near the end was pretty compelling. What if your wife had been blown to bits by an American tomahawk? What would you do? That is an intriguing question that we don't like to talk about. It was quickly brushed under the rug as a hypothetical, but in the closing scenes, we see that is was probably the reality of Naga's character.

The events of the standoff, I thought, were pretty weak, and I was disappointed that they ended the movie with the newscast (which by the way, the ticker on that fake channel moves the wrong way). Suspicion and vigilance can be a good thing. In this movie, he seemed to have gone too far...until the message became he was right all along. I just think that was the weakest message possible to send.
February 5, 2011
_
... well , you win some, you lose some. The message more than the movie.
January 9, 2011
I was ready to give this a 3-star rating, until I saw the last 25 minutes or so of the movie. While I don't necessarily LIKE the ending, it's very effective and really has you on the edge of your seat. This was better than I expected it to be.
½ January 3, 2011
Is this guy's neighbour a terrorist? I don't even remember but this was an okay film, I suppose.
November 29, 2010
I will be passing on this one.
½ October 17, 2010
Straight-to-DVD material, with some forgettable acting and a predictable storyline, but the odd moment of suspense.