Civic Duty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Civic Duty Reviews

September 24, 2010
HORRIBLE movie! The acting was horrific, the story completely amateur and horrible all the way around.
May 27, 2010
Khaled Abol Naga did very well in this movie, he played a Muslim Egyptian man ... BUT I really didn't like the ending when they referred to the possibility of him being truly a terrorist & leaving some doubt that the American man was right !
April 24, 2010
This movie taps into the post 9/11 paranoia and Peter Krause is believable as the recently laid off accountant, Terry Allen who now is having trouble finding work. He becomes suspicious of his middle-eastern looking neighbor Khaled Abol Naga who has just moved in and seemingly fits the profile of a terrorist because of his friendship with other Arab looking guys who show up at his place with all kinds of mysterious packages and who has the strange habit of dumping his garbage at odd times at night. Khaled also has ominous looking chemical equipment in his kitchen along with ATM deposit envelopes for what appears to be a money laundering set up for terrorist activities. The ending keeps you guessing as it was never really clear whether or not Krause was paranoid or justified in suspecting his neighbor.

My Take: I just think this movie will make more people paranoid. It's is not hard to believe that this kind of bigotry still exist despite our policy of innocent until proven guilty where one should not discriminate based on ethnic culture, religion or color of skin; even if it turns out in the end that you were right all along. It's enough to depress you but will definitely leave you wondering even when it is all over.
½ March 25, 2010
A pretty decent study into one man's paranoia and eventual breakdown. The issue is still relevant and it's good to see it handled without patriotism and American flags being shoved down our throats. Peter Krause does a good job in the lead, and overall 'Civic Duty' is a solid and entertaining flick.
March 22, 2010
what could be a really interesting thriller fails to thrill.
½ March 16, 2010
Classic example of how a terrible ending can sour a movie completely -- not that this was some great film or anything. I kinda enjoyed the movie when it showed Krause's character for what he really was: a fucking psychopath. The "terrorist" in question is also surprisingly likeable in these scenes, and while this role reversal doesn't necessarily make the film good, it is interesting. The climax is something of a disaster, and then the ending tries to justify everything he did. Fuck this movie.
February 8, 2010
This was a good movie not great but it was good and the ending was one of those surprise endings Good movie!
February 7, 2010
powerful movie its show 2 us how we can make mistak about the right people ... great cast
February 2, 2010
I was surprised when I saw Khalid Abolnaja in an English movie ?. He shocked me with his acting ,,, a very good one ?. Also the movie was showing truth about how the Americans have suspicions about the Middle Eastern people and the anger of the Islamic people for what is happing to them around the world. Go ABOLNAJA we support you ;).
½ December 21, 2009
watching this movie was a waste of my life
December 13, 2009
Paranoia. Profile. Hysteria. Truth. An exciting and suspenseful film! Great performances by Peter Krause and Khaled Abol Naga. Worth seeing!
November 8, 2009
I didn't make it all the way through. The directing was just not my style, the writing was mediocre, and the half hour that I watched was very slow moving.
½ October 25, 2009
It was OK.Nothing special
September 18, 2009
This movie hit the screen shortly after 9-11, it was done fast to capitalize on the post 9-11 movie rush. Its not a bad movie but its surly low budget. Our Main Crazy Star is Peter Krause who plays Terry Allen, a loser of a man, lost job, losing his wife, he sits at home watching the news about the 9-11 terrorist and this creates fear in his mind. Next thing you know Gabe Hassan played by Khaled Abol Naga moves into the apartment complex. This is an accurate portrayals of modern-day paranoia in the most of the world, but here in the United States we have once again let our guard down. Gabe is a Middle Eastern Man, and Terry falls into the negative thinking that Gabe is a terrorist. He does everything to the man to get something to point that Gabe is fixing to attack the US. The FBI is involved, Terry just flips out and in the end is put in to a mental Facility and then one day watching the news Terry sees on the news all that he was telling the FBI has unfolded. Its worth 3 stars
June 20, 2009
Pretty good. filmed in was neat to see parts of Vancouver in the movie. More of a B movie...but interesting enough to be entertained
June 5, 2009
kick ass movie, thats all.
May 11, 2009
Such a boring movie...Knapa gw penasaran ya mao liat nih film..
½ April 26, 2009
In a world post 911 these kinds of stories really hit home. You have the main character *who played in my favorite mini series "Lost Room" which was the best thing to come form Sci Fi in a life time next to Eureka* as an accountant that starts the movie getting fired. The movie progresses with constant news clips talking about terror threat levels and the general spin the media puts on things to scare people and keep people watching. It isn't long before Terry notices that his neighbor looks out of the ordinary, like he fits the MO of a terrorist. What follows is the common dramatic plot of Terry trying to uncover what is really going on and not be a victim but a hero. It's not exactly unique or ground breaking but the story is an important one and an interesting watch.
½ March 27, 2009
Completely unbelievable to most people but I could see this happening. This is a thriller that works. Nuff said!
February 19, 2009
Saw this mostly for Peter Krause, following a frenzied viewing of the entire five-season run of Six Feet Under. Sadly, the movie doesn't really work as a suspense thriller. The movie never really gave me any real reason to suspect that Gabe WAS a terrorist and hence seemed to be more about how far Terry's sanity would unravel. Not all that exciting.