Clash of the Titans - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clash of the Titans Reviews

December 17, 2015
Awful. Terrible script and poor acting. Boring movie.
½ November 19, 2015
good movie when the cracken gets turned to stone the rest of the movie is not that great
November 5, 2015
47%
Pretty but flawed, Clash of the Titans is not as bad as it could have been, but its story and characters could have been more fleshed out.

VARITABLE: 42%
November 3, 2015
A noisy, dull and flat blockbuster that plays exactly like a video game, with no character development or energy, and fails so miserably due to an overly serious tone, a horrible script and a hero with no charisma - and the tense Medusa scene is the only thing that works.
October 25, 2015
I loved this ! The effects are amazing, you feel for all the characters, the story is gripping.... Very underrated movie !
August 24, 2015
Lacking the required visual thrills and energy for high budget blockbusters, Clash of the titans does no favors to it's original film and rather grossly converted to 3D the wrong way
August 16, 2015
Just give me special effect!!
½ August 5, 2015
A visual treat but a weak storyline
½ August 2, 2015
I was pretty disappointed with this one and thought I'd like it much better. It started out somewhat promising, but just got dumber as the movie played out. First off I really think they cast the absolute wrong person to play Perseus. Every time I saw him I thought I was watching a US military movie, which isn't a bad thing, just shouldn't have gotten that feeling in this one. However, I loved the pegasus. Too bad they were about it.
August 2, 2015
Entertaining, but features too much CGI, Clash of the Titans is an underrated Greek mythological adventure
½ July 25, 2015
At best, an enjoyable popcorn flick
July 15, 2015
This is a very good remake of the original "Clash of the Titans".
½ June 26, 2015
With a lot of unoriginal things that we saw before on Tv, like big scorpions, witches and medusa, Clash of Titans, despite it great cast suffers from a predictable narrative, lack of originality and weak argument.
½ June 26, 2015
½ June 21, 2015
well created action scenes but that doesn't create a film. the story lags over and over again, with the screenplay letting everyone down
½ May 31, 2015
Not too bad. Pretty epic. Man I love Greek mythology!
May 26, 2015
It's a fine fantasy action flick. Nothing wrong with it.
½ May 18, 2015
Film remakes are a really dangerous endeavor because most remakes are of classic films, and by remaking them, you run the risk of angering fans of the originals. "Clash of the Titans" is a perfect movie to do a remake of because the original was a well-respected film, but it wasn't a classic film like King Kong or Godzilla. "Clash of the Titans" is an adaption of the classical Greek myth about the hero Perseus's quest to save Andromeda from the Kraken.

As far as film adaptions of Greek myths go, "Clash of the Titans" remains fairly faithful. There are a couple of minor issues, such as the inclusion of the mystical, magical djinn, which are not from Greek myth. But that is unimportant because this is a film about action, and action it has. The action is a lot more stylized than what the Greeks probably had in mind, but I don't mind because it is some decent action.

I like the actors in this film too. Sam Worthington (Perseus) stars in his third, big-budget film in the last two years, and he once again proves his skills as an action star. And of course who better to play Zeus and Hades than one of Hollywood's favorite heroes and one of Hollywood's favorite villains; Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes, respectively.

It's difficult to say if this "Clash of the Titans" is better or worse than the original film. The original focused more on characters, while this one focuses more on action; so they are difficult to compare. What I can say is that it is a good film in its own right.
May 11, 2015
Normally, I would have said "leave well enough alone," except for the fact that I disliked the original "Clash of the Titans" starring Laurence Olivier and Harry Hamlin. The 1981 so-called "classic" was one of those 80's action genre films where the movie poster was far more interesting than the actual flick itself. With today's technology, filmmakers had the potential to improve upon the original and create something truly memorable and lasting. Boy was I disappointed.

As much as I didn't find the original to be my cup of tea, it was an Oscar Winning Best Picture compared to this 2010 cinematic mess, which visually, thematically, and stylistically tried to imitate "Lord of the Rings" with its forced "the time of man has begun" message and the deep-voiced wannabe Cate Blanchett "the world has changed" introduction. The settling looked less Greek and more Middle Earth. I also got an uncomfortable dash of "Harry Potter," as filmmakers desperately tried to push Ralph Fiennes' suave, raspy-voiced Voldemort persona into the storyline. Halfway through the film, I just wanted to throw a brick at the screen and just read Homer's "Odyssey."

There was some dazzling computer generated imagery towards the end of the film, particularly in the form of the horrific monster Medusa. However, this CG feat fell short of the original. Ray Harryhausen's original stop-motion puppet may have been rickety and jerky, but the character possessed a threatening presence, a soul you might say, which was reflected by the careful cunning way she moved, removing arrows from her quiver one-by-one in a contemplative manner. This new Medusa? Yeah, it looked realistic. Yeah, it had a lot of scales like anything you'd see on the Discovery Channel. Yeah, it was photorealistic and had great rendering and detail. But the moment she appeared, she just jumped out and went "Boo!" and slimed over objects like an eel out of water trying to rejoin its friends in the fish tank. In short, this new Medusa was cool, but was as threatening as a ghost on Scooby Doo.

The "final straw" was the mechanical owl. True, I never was a big fan of the mechanical owl in the original, party because it seemed like a cheap cash-in on a certain squeaky droid invented by George Lucas. In this film, Sam Worthington's Perseus picks up the owl, looks at it, and is rudely told to "just leave it." It was intended to be funny, but it came off as a blasphemous slap in the face to the original; come on, just include the darned owl or leave it out completely; this cheap in-joke only made me want to see the older (and far more tolerable) film.

The only thing I can think of that truly worked was Pegasus; boy, there was an awesome flying horse. Changing the equine's color from white (as seen in the original) to pitch black was a really fine choice. Too bad Pegasus couldn't have dropped in for a visit more often. Sam Worthington should have stayed at Pandora.
½ May 11, 2015
i am ready for the remake to be released...