Clash of the Titans - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clash of the Titans Reviews

jamrcla
½ June 5, 2016
A good updated version, Could of been better, The effects were ok, Sometimes the acting let the film down but some good action scenes nearly makes up for it, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, It's not as bad as critics will have you believe.
½ May 26, 2016
Give the whole thing a pass.
½ May 8, 2016
As a fan of greek mythology I enjoyed this movie, loved the visuals and the mythological references. While the story is not rock-solid, I think it's an underrated movie.
April 22, 2016
Not nearly as bad as I had been led to believe but this is yet another in a long line of tired films in the greek-mythology fantasy genre.
March 27, 2016
anjd epic-looking remake.
½ March 20, 2016
An underwhelming CGI-Fest whose only real bright spot is getting to hear "Release the kraken"
½ March 10, 2016
I applaud its attempt to be a better, non campy reboot of the 1981 film, but wooden acting and boring characters do not live up.
March 9, 2016
Hope it comes to Pakistan in 3-D (my sixteen year self said that)
After 6 years I say if the movie was a trailer it would be amazing
The two hours for this movie was too long, and too boring at times
March 3, 2016
Sam Worthington was really miscasted as Perseus, and it shows! This could have been so much better, but it fails on scenes like with the battle in medusas lair! Even Liam Neeson commanding the screen as Lord Zeus wasn't enough to make this salvageable. The only tiny bit of credit I can give the movie is the Kraken, but was disappointed that we didn't get enough of him to get thrilled with excitement.
They even shoehorned in a joke which fell completely flat by showing the golden owl Bubo, companion of the goddess Athena! Seriously!? What the hell!?
This has gone down as one of my worst movies of the decade, and not even so bad it's good! Am glad that I didn't waste my hard earned money on the 3D version!
February 29, 2016
Not that bad, it's interesting, it's entertaining. Isn't that what movies are supposed to do?
February 28, 2016
Unprecedented in civilisation to date, the ancient Greeks created their Gods in Mans image. Greek Mythology is founded on the epic adventures of the divine whilst delving into deep into human psyche, thus the immortality blessed gods of Mount Olympus are an emotionally vulnerable bunch; petty, prone to outbursts, tantrums, fits and urges.

Tweaked from animations stop-motion legend Ray Harryhausen's 1981 original, Louis Leterrier's self-consciously kitsch retread of Clash of the Titans is a historically frustrating, distractingly murky 3D, hammed up story of determination and courage.

In this simplified version, the world of the gods has three main rulers each with its realm. Zeus (Liam Neeson) controls the heavens, Poseidon (Danny Huston) the sea and Hades (Ralph Fiennes) the underworld. Creating mankind in their image, the immortals of Olympus feed of the preys and devotion of their mortal subjects'.

As mankind develop however, they become disillusioned with the gods and reject their divine linage. Enraged by this betrayal, Zeus decides to teach his petulant children a lesson by inviting his twisted brother Hades to exact revenge and instil fear.

Rescued as a baby from a coffin at sea, Perseus (Sam Worthington) is lovingly raised by his adoptive fisherman father, Sypros (Pete Postlethwaite). Caught in one of the gods' fits of wrath, Perseus family is killed. Retrieved by soldiers, Perseus is brought to the city of Argos; the home of the human revolt against the gods.

The royals of Argos host a party for their returning soldiers to revealing in their distension. Ceasing the opportunity, Hades materialises and informs the humans of Zeus plans to eradicate them.

Feeding his underlying plot to overthrow his brother, Hades posing as mankind's unlikely saviour, offers a bargain. All may be spared a ghastly death by the fearsome sea-dwelling mega-monster The Kraken if they give him chosen sacrifice, Princess Andromeda (Alexa Davalos).

Offering 10 days for consideration Hades departs, but not before laying waste to the soldiers. However, when confronted by inadvertent resistance by Perseus, both Zeus and the humans realise Perseus is in-fact a demi-god.

The bastard child of Zeus, Perseus is informed that he lone is the saviour of mankind.

With a small band of Argos Warriors (Mads Mikkelsen, Liam Cunningham, Hans Matheson and Nicholas Hoult), and the assistance of ethereal spirit guide Io (Gemma Andromeda), Perseus sets out on a quest to find three cannibalistic crones, the Stygain Witches, who hold the answer to defeating The Kraken.

Their treacherous journey sees them confronted by giant scorpions, magical desert inhabitants Djinns, the venomous writhing beauty Medusa (Natalia Vodianova) and their reluctant leader's fear of immortal assistance.

Shot normally then twiddled as an afterthought, the muted popup book 3D adaptation offers little to enhance histories rich story. Cobbled from numerous sources, the anaemic material, stilted dialogue, confusing pacing and brutal editing gives way to glam rock costumes, misused lens flares and a decidedly PS3/XBOX vibe.

Jumping straight from the back of Avatar's flying dragon to Pegasus the winged black stallion, Sam's sexy scowl, generationally challenged Grecian buzz cut and overtly Australian everyman appeal brings something to this character.

From the charismatic dreadlock-clad Danish Mads Mikkelsen, to the menacingly raspy-voiced hunched-backed Ralph Fiennes, the army of serious acting talent simply doesn't get enough screen time. Often relegated to the background as fleeting extras, viewers are left wishing, if only they had the time would it have been better with fully fleshed out characters?

The Verdict: Although some shots look like a camp rip off of the 90's TV series Hercules, this well-warn behemoth tale is being brought to life and out of the screen for yet another generation; Lets just hope they pick up a book to get the full gist.
Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 09/04/2010
February 19, 2016
When I saw the Owl I was momentarily hopeful... but I soon realized that there would be NO tribute to the original masterpiece, as this was a blatant disregard to the continuity of the story, the depth of the characters, and the overall quality of the experience as given by the 1981 original. Special effects do not make up for the lack. Overall the 1981 original was far better. But the music was pretty good. Nice and dramatic. I guess I can admit that I would be less judgemental if I had never seen the original. But that's life.
½ February 12, 2016
Fun and super exciting from start to finish. Sure its flawed, but honestly, who expected a masterpiece from this movie. When it comes to the action in this movie, it all works. I was entertained watching the movie despite the weak performances and writing. Primarily because it makes up for it with good effects and thrilling action scenes.
January 29, 2016
I wanted this to be good. It's not. Though this is an expense movie with an impressive cast, it doesn't come close to the mark. While watching the term low rent kept coming to mind. If you're a Sam Worthington fan, this might be worth your time. I think this film probably hurt his career.
½ January 16, 2016
Drivel! The old version is far better.
January 4, 2016
One of the better remakes I've seen in recent times !
December 17, 2015
Awful. Terrible script and poor acting. Boring movie.
½ November 19, 2015
good movie when the cracken gets turned to stone the rest of the movie is not that great
November 5, 2015
47%
Pretty but flawed, Clash of the Titans is not as bad as it could have been, but its story and characters could have been more fleshed out.

VARITABLE: 42%
November 3, 2015
A noisy, dull and flat blockbuster that plays exactly like a video game, with no character development or energy, and fails so miserably due to an overly serious tone, a horrible script and a hero with no charisma - and the tense Medusa scene is the only thing that works.